• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 260 AICS (Accurate Mag) Feeding Issues

fullbore

Private
Minuteman
  • Jul 12, 2018
    Hello everyone

Im having trouble getting my 260 to feed out of my Accurate Mag 5 shot magazine. I have the magazine with no blinder plate to allow a max COAL of 2.950".
    The problem im having is the round isnt running up the feed ramp properly and is just slamming into the bottom barrel face instead of ramping up into the chamber. Anyone have any suggestions? I have thought about bending the feed lips out slightly to get the round to sit higher but just thought id wait and see what you guys suggested.
    Thanks for your time and information.

PS the rifle is chambered in 260 AI but im trying to feed 260 Rem loads at the moment for fireforming.

Do regular AICS mags work?

To confirm- this is a Rem 700 type of action in a AICS chassis?

I have not tested a regular AICS mag.
    A MDT plastic magazine feeds like butter.

Yes its a Ultimatum U300 action in a KRG Bravo stock

Isn't there an adjustment with the bravo? I thought I read that somewhere but I may be thinking of the xray.

Isn't there an adjustment with the bravo? I thought I read that somewhere but I may be thinking of the xray.

Yes your correct there is an adjustment with the trigger guard screw that you can fine tune to have a tight magazine well or have it so that the magazine drops out under gravity when you hit the mag latch

Might have to do some editing to the feedlips with the bigger OD bolt. I had to do a lot of tuning with the Vector due to the .750 bolt running 6mm Creedmoor. I had the exact same issues. Try tweaking the feed lips to make the cases point up. Little less tension of front compared to the rear. Shouldn’t need to file your catch at all. You may even try an AW mag for research purposes. They have a little less hold on the rounds.

Might have to do some editing to the feedlips with the bigger OD bolt. I had to do a lot of tuning with the Vector due to the .750 bolt running 6mm Creedmoor. I had the exact same issues. Try tweaking the feed lips to make the cases point up. Little less tension of front compared to the rear. Shouldn’t need to file your catch at all. You may even try an AW mag for research purposes. They have a little less hold on the rounds.

Thanks for the advice mate, was thinking of just opening up the front of the feed lips little by little to see if that helps push the bullet tip up into the chamber and not into the bottom of the barrel.

Thanks for the advice mate, was thinking of just opening up the front of the feed lips little by little to see if that helps push the bullet tip up into the chamber and not into the bottom of the barrel.
    That should be the ticket. Didn’t take much for me. Too much up angle caused bolt passovers and failure to feed.

Just measure (and write down!) the gap between the feed lips front middle and rear before you start and then for the adjustments so you can have a reference of where youve been and where you are going with them.

Reactions: larryh128
    I had a similar issue, I opened tip my mags lips just a small amount and it fixed everything. I also found the spring was still a little tight and binded the first two rounds....just a thought.

Thanks everyone for the advice l, greatly appreciated. I ended up taking out the action and re installed everything and found I hadnt quite got everything in straight and flush. It now feeds 5 rounds well. Will try and upload a video.

Just measure (and write down!) the gap between the feed lips front middle and rear before you start and then for the adjustments so you can have a reference of where youve been and where you are going with them.
    I’ve made the mistake of not doing what you advised. Mag ended up in the trash lol.

Reactions: spife7980
    Thanks everyone for the advice l, greatly appreciated. I ended up taking out the action and re installed everything and found I hadnt quite got everything in straight and flush. It now feeds 5 rounds well. Will try and upload a video.
    I am having the same issue where the round comes out of whatever mag I try and noses straight into bottom of barrel. I have a KRG X ray chassis which would. E very similar to your bravo. Anything in particular you aligned differently? I have my action pushed right back in chassis as it will eventually move under recoil anyway. But maybe this is my issue?

I am having the same issue where the round comes out of whatever mag I try and noses straight into bottom of barrel. I have a KRG X ray chassis which would. E very similar to your bravo. Anything in particular you aligned differently? I have my action pushed right back in chassis as it will eventually move under recoil anyway. But maybe this is my issue?
    Try holding up on the mag a bit and see if it feeds better.
    Low hanging mags can cause that.
    You also can open up the forward area of the feed lips to get a better presentation if height isn’t an issue.

I had the same issue recently during a local competition.

When I looked at it closer it seemed that the first round of a mag was tipped up a little too much and completely missing the feed ramp, which allowed the round to slam into the barrel face.

I ended up closing the feed lips a little bit to keep the nose pointed more towards the feed ramp, and I verify that the round is sitting in the mag straight (not nose up) before I load it into the rifle. So far it seems to be working well.

Reactions: nmcrae

When I initially had my barrelled action installed I hadnt gotten the recoil lug fully touching the aluminium bed, I had watched a YouTube video of a bloke tapping the recoil pad to help fully engage the recoil lug in the slot properly.

I also found my mag latch was actually a tad short too, because I have a Ultimatum 3 lug action with the fatter bolt diameter the mag latch had to be shortened to latch mags properly. It wasnt short by much but if I pushed up on the mag it would feed great. Do I just bought another KRG latch and kept taking off material bit by bit until the mag latched in snug.

Reactions: nmcrae
    Problem is the mag is sitting fairly high, and when I feed round from magazine it only clips the very top of feed ramp and sort of skims over it. I’ll try these things suggested and see how it goes. Thanks guys

Reactions: fullbore