• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 Barrel Length

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I have a .260 Remington(not improved) and would like the tube shortened. I would love it at 20", but was thinking that might be too short.

Please relate your life experiences regarding this.

Thanks,

David

Re: .260 Barrel Length

Have little experience with my new .260, but I went with 24" due to research on here and from shooters at matches. I don't think I would go less than that. Wanted 22", but settled on 24".

Short barrels are great and look cool but if your hunting early morning/late evening and take a shot your vision is really screwed........ Probably not going to burn 40+ grains of powder in 20 inches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: criver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short barrels are great and look cool but if your hunting early morning/late evening and take a shot your vision is really screwed........ Probably not going to burn 40+ grains of powder in 20 inches. </div></div>

Boltripper: I just like the handling characteristics of the 20". I have noticed that a lot of guys are going with shorter tubes on the .223s and .308s and thought I might give it try on a .260.

I will probably cut it to 24" and be happy with it.

Mine finishes at 27.5 with the T2K brake.

I wanted plenty of room for future barrel set backs. There isn't much to work with on a 20" once you burn the throat out.

I use a 26" barrel on my .260 with 130 Bergers at 2,925 fps and it's GTG to 1k with ease. Ditch the 20" idea for the .260 and go 24" to 26"

I've had 30" 26" and another 26" that was cut to 22"
Since I shoot my 26" 7-08 more than the 260
and my 25" 22BR more as well and plan to build a 28" in 6-250, I kept the 260 22" and sold the rest.

It handles great, wears a 4.5-14X40 LR scope and sits in a bedded HS Prec. sporter stock.

Pete

With the 22", what velocities are you getting with a 130 or 140 grain bullet?
I'm pushing a 140 VLD at 2838 fps and a 130 VLD at 3012 fps out of a 28". I am curious to what the shorter barrels are getting. I have thought about going shorter, also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the 22", what velocities are you getting with a 130 or 140 grain bullet?
I am curious to what the shorter barrels are getting. I have thought about going shorter, also. </div></div>

Would like to know as well.

Chad,
I had a Pac Nor super match go bad in the throat due to a barrrel defect. Pac Nor replaced the barrel an sent the old one back to me.

It was originally a 26" in a 260 and on a whim I had it cut down to a 22" by taking 4"s off the chamber end. The reason I did it was to see if I could shoot to 1000yds with a 22" barreled 260.

If my memory serves me correctly I only lost around 60ft per sec. by taking 4"s off the barrel. I then went from a load of 37grs of Varget to 38.5grs an was nearly back to where I started.

I am thinking I was shooting the 140 AMAXS in the high 2700fps range. I wish I could be more specific but its been to long ago an that was 3 barrels back.

The intresting thing was that as a 26" gun it was a heavy .5 to .6 with the .6 being the average. I was never that impressed with it as far as the accuracy of it went. I had a stock 260VLS that shot as well.

However after cutting it down to 22"s this gun became a sub .5 gun most of the time shooting in the .4s to high .3s at 100 for 5 shot groups. I even had some high .5 groups at 200yds. It would shoot .5 moa or under for 3 shot groups out to 800yds if I did my part or the wind didn't get me. The weird thing was after 800 it went to near a MOA gun for 900 an 1000yds which was strange to me. The barrel may have even been going south at the time too since I had around 1400rds hard rounds down it when I had it cut off.

I about cried when I had to take that one off!!!

I'm toying with this idea with going below 20" with a 260... I think the burn will be fine like with the Gladius... and the shorter stiffer barrels are proving to be pretty friggin accurate.

It wouldn't be meant to be a 1000 yard gun, but what are you really giving up if the accuracy is stellar... a few shots at most at 1000, big deal, it would be more of a handy patrol type rifle than a F Class entry... different missions.

I'm guessing a tick less recoil than a 308, better wind, etc... a 2009 Gladius build with an 18.5" 260 might be interesting.

Nice, Frank! I'll even provide some test ammo for it, if you build it. Just let me know.
If you get 2650 fps with a 140 VLD, you're effective to 1300 yards+. The come up is 33.25 MOA to 1K, and 7.35 MOA of wind- 10 mph (9.84 mils and 2.18 wind). Still not bad!
For 2600 fps at 1K, it's 34.71 MOA and 7.56 MOA wind (10.29 mils and 2.24 wind)

I'm thinking it is doable Chad...

What I can do is have George Spin me up an 18.5" 260 barrel for my AW, I think my current 260 barrel for that is 22" but i would have to measure it as I don't remember.

Betting it works.

Awesome. Frank, let me know, I'll provide some test ammo with the bullet of your choice. I have 142 SMK, 140 A-max, 130 and 140 Berger VLD. I can get others. Rem brass, H4350 or R17 powder, 210M's and bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I messed up my PACT. </div></div>
Alright, what did you do to your PACT? Did you shoot it!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I messed up my PACT. </div></div>
Alright, what did you do to your PACT? Did you shoot it!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

No, I get a start signal error, but in its defense it did go through baggage claim.

My Oehler has a bad switch, it wont set to match the screen configuration.

I did shoot my CED Screen arm, but I had a spare, just caught it and cut it...
smile.gif

George is making me a 23" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel that should be ready any time. Reading this post helps me feel comfortable that I didn't have it made too short.

Thanks,
Darin