• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 Barrel Life 2800 w/H4350 vs 2700w/H4831

Wildwillalaska

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
So my 260 Hospitaller has proven the most picky gun I have loaded for in quite some time. It hated 140 Amax's--period.

With 140 Berger Hybrid's it has shot really nice with a couple loads. I have worked up a good shooting load with 42.9 gr of H4350 that clocks right at 2800 fps, and upon advise of a few decided I would try a little H4831sc since I had plenty laying around. Found a good load at 45.7gr that clocks right at 2700 fps.

Here is today, both 5-shot groups at 100, top is the H4350 loading and bottom is H4831sc. The bottom is tighter, but slower. Most all my shooting with this gun is 1200 yards and under. Sometimes we get out into the mountains to play at distance, but would typically bring a 300wm or 338 Lap. Looking at dope, the 100fps translates to advantage with the wind, but not a lot else. Am I crazy considering going with the lighter load?

Granted I can always use any advantage in the wind--my 5-shot group with the H4350 at 500 yards got pushed around in the wind a bit this afternoon. Wind opened it up to .65 MOA at 500.

[/URL

With bullet, rate of fire and gun care held constant between both loads, would the 2700fps vs 2800fps save me all that much as far as barrel life? Even with the slower load burning another 2.8 grains of powder?

See if you can find another node with the 4831sc in the 2800 fps range. I would opt for a little more velocity, but 2700 isn't that slow and you may see additional barrel life. I won't burn a barrel just for the sake of velocity, especially if it shoots better at a slightly lower velocity. 100fps is pretty substantial though

The point of the 6.5s is better performance....might as we'll run it fast/hard.

If you wanted barrel life get a 308 :)

I have had really good results loading 46.7gr H-4831 with a 139gr Scenar. Low to mid 2800s with a 26" barrel and 3/8" groups on average. No pressure signs.

If it were me, I'd make sure the 100 yard groups are not a fluke. Sounds like you've done that. Next when it is windy again, shoot that 500 yard steel again with both loads and let the results tell you if 100fps makes up for somewhat lower accuracy.

I found the best node I've ever seen in a rifle, period, with 40.7gr of H4350, which pushes 139 scenars at 2700fps. It is absolutely stupid accurate, and I've seen at least a dozen groups at 100 yards that were small enough that you could stick a bullet in the hole and it would stay there. I didn't even bother posting pics of 5 shot groups because most guys would call me a liar because it looks like a 2 shot group. However, if your brass life is fine with the hotter load, if you're talking about a .4in group vs. a .3in group, go with the hotter load. Shooting UKD or under the clock you'll find a nice benefit to the 100fps faster load. Also, check the ES/SD of the hotter load...you may find it has a lower es/sd, and in that case I'd definitely pick the hotter load.

The groups have been similar--both of those a slightly larger than the best I have gotten, but was cool since they were right together and both 5-shot. Some of the earlier groups with H4831 were three shot.

I may look for a higher node, the 45.7gr is tippy top of that one as groups opened up significantly when I went to 45.9gr.

Good news is I can always find wind at our club range--it shows up everyday at least between 10:00 and 11:00am it seems. We are only a few miles off the ocean with mountains on the inland side--just seems the wind is always blowing.

The H-4831 needs a longer barrel to take advantage of the slower powder but because it's slower it'll burn cooler in the throat I'd think so hopefully better barrel life.

If you have a shorter barrel the 4350 is probably a better choice, plus the higher velocity reduces wind drift a little, might give you less barrel life too though.

Barrels are a lot like tires; if you run them slow and easy they last a tad longer. But what fun would that be?!