• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 barrel on a 30-06 Rem 700 SPS???

mrgreentie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2010
Jacksonville,FL
www.gunzoo.com
Someone told me I could put a .260 barrel on my 30-06 Remington 700 SPS...this is crazy talk, isn't it? I thought the 30-06 was a long action and the action wouldn't line up with a .260 bbl?

Re: .260 barrel on a 30-06 Rem 700 SPS???

Well look at it this way. The M24 Sniper Rifle is a long action 700 and about 15,000 of them have been built and work fine. They are all 308. Since the 260 is just a necked down 308 case with same body dimensions there is no reason why it won't work. Last rifle I built was a long action 700 in 308.
Got a buddy who wants to build a 260 on a Rem 78 (LA) and when he gets the barrel we will put it on.

Don't understand the term won't line up with a 260 barrel. They are all screwed in the same hole?????

Actually is a much better deal that a short action as the mag is easier to load and you can load bullets further and further out to chase the rifling.

You can also get a stock the Army is now using that converts a long action into a magazine fed rifle with floating forearm. Has a 10 round mag to boot.

The ultimate conversion is converting a M1 Garand to 260. I know the guy that built it and he said it fed just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually is a much better deal that a short action as the mag is easier to load and you can load bullets further and further out to chase the rifling.</div></div>

Wish my .260 was on a long action.

You guys gettin' dumped on up there, Mark?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can also get a stock the Army is now using that converts a long action into a magazine fed rifle with floating forearm. Has a 10 round mag to boot.</div></div>

Thanks for your insight, Hummer. What is the stock that the Army uses? Any links as to where I could get one of those???

Thanks again!

~Mac

they dont sell direct, you have to buy it thru a vender, blackheart international sells the stock system for $1400

I am currently building a .260 using my Savage 111 .30-06 long action. I was told this is the way to go so that I can seat the heavier bullets out farther.