• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 Brass made from unobtanium?

spradley

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2012
Leeds, Alabama
Why is the standard 260 brass impossible to find? I see backorder dates for it continue to move later and later into the year from Midway etc...

Who is buying all the 260 brass?

thanks,
Gary

Re: 260 Brass made from unobtanium?

Win 7-08 brass FL sized in a 260 die becomes 260 brass, and it lasts 3-4 times longer, I have some with 25 reloads and the primer pockets are still tight, and it's half the price of Rem 260 brass.

Yes completely agree and most of my 260 loads are in 7mm-08 brass..

I'm just perplexed as to where all the real 260 brass has gone?

thanks,
Gary

Too many shooting it, supply has not kept up with demand, hence the price goes up.

Had no idea the 260 had become so popular.. Most magazines wrote it off years ago saying Remington hadn't done their marketing to make it work.

I chose it simply because it's a 6.5mm and I like having something the next guy doesn't. Guessing it's more popular in the midwest where it can really shine. Here in Alabama we don't have a lot of long open distances to shoot but I'm guessing it will do a number on a pig or deer.

NORMA BRASS 260 REM UNPRIMED BULK PER 20
Item Number: N26602 · Availability: In stock
Quantity: 20
$20.99 100
$99.70 250
$236.14 500
$456.53

about a buck per piece.. just too high..
Will stick to the 7mm-08 brass for what I do.
DSC02636.jpg

NOS11354 NOSLER 260 REMINGTON (50/BOX) Yes $52.44

I guess my main gripe is cost.. Remington makes it for half but you can never find it. Nosler and the others want a buck a piece.

I'd rather pay less and prep myself.. Oh well maybe one day Remington will catch up with demand.

I stocked up a few years back....saw the writing on the wall.

WW 7/08 necked down shoots damn good for me too.

I've had good lots of Remington and poor lots(soft)as well...seems to be hit and miss.

I posted this in another thread earlier. I ran across some 'blemished' Nosler 260 brass for about 71 cents each (800 count) HERE.

Question: What is the loaded neck thickness for resized 7mm-08 WW vs Lapua 260 proper?

.291 Fusion Factory Loaded
.291 Nosler Hunting Ballistic Tip Winchester 7mm-08 Brass

Sorry I do not have any Lapua Brass

just picked up 200pcs (remington) from cabelas,comes in a different bag than it used to and says,Packaged by Black Hills Shooters Supply

I also use Win 243 brass, it's 20 bucks for a bag of 50 at Cabelas, but I neck it to prevent donuts, which will form if not done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also use Win 243 brass, it's 20 bucks for a bag of 50 at Cabelas, but I neck it to prevent donuts, which will form if not done. </div></div>

You're making 260 brass from 243? Working well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GarySpradley</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also use Win 243 brass, it's 20 bucks for a bag of 50 at Cabelas, but I neck it to prevent donuts, which will form if not done. </div></div>

You're making 260 brass from 243? Working well? </div></div>

Sorry I left out turning, I neck turn it, Win 243 and 7-08 work equally as well, my last range session the two mixed together had single digit SD.

I read on the internets somewhere that Remington only does a seasonal run of 260 brass...?

They introduce the 260 and do nothing to market it...then stop making factory rifles for it...and when its popularity grows exponentially due to absolutely nothing on their part, what do they do? Continue to NOT make rifles chambered in 260 and come woefully short of meeting demand for brass.

I probably shouldn't be surprised...

I just finished working up a load for my 260. Started with Lapua brass and several bullets. The best load turned out to be 139 Lapua, 42.6/H4350 Federal 210M. This combo gives me (4) 5 shot aggregate of.26 MOA. I then tried substituting new Winchester 7-08 necked down. Winchester has more internal capacity so I tried half grain more powder to equal velocity in Lapua brass.Groups went from .26 MOA to over 1 MOA. The Winchester brass had the flash holes reamed and the necks chamfered. The primer pockets seemed uniform and primers seated good by feel. I did not think changing brass would make such a difference.

Interesting about the Lapua versus Win 7mm-08 brass.
Shot my best group with it.
Just proves each rifle is different.

BoilerUp,
Sounds reasonable.. I've heard/read how they dropped the 260 marketing wise. I find it hilarious the rifle is now more popular than ever.

Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wchartz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just finished working up a load for my 260. Started with Lapua brass and several bullets. The best load turned out to be 139 Lapua, 42.6/H4350 Federal 210M. This combo gives me (4) 5 shot aggregate of.26 MOA. I then tried substituting new Winchester 7-08 necked down. Winchester has more internal capacity so I tried half grain more powder to equal velocity in Lapua brass.Groups went from .26 MOA to over 1 MOA. The Winchester brass had the flash holes reamed and the necks chamfered. The primer pockets seemed uniform and primers seated good by feel. I did not think changing brass would make such a difference. </div></div>

I have found that with H4350 it takes between .8 and 1 gr in resized Win. 7-08 brass to equal a given load in Lapua brass. Water weight is Lapua: 54 gr, Win 7-08: 55 gr. Both will shoot between .25 and .3 MOA at their best at 750 yds. My tightest vertical to date was with the Winchester. YMMV.

I also found two things that kept my Win. brass from being "great".

Neck tension. I don't know if Winchester work hardens their brass after annealing or just under-anneals, but their brass always seems to benefit from annealing. My 300WM would not shoot until I annealed their brass. The 7-08 brass just got it out of the box without even checking it.

Neck thickness. Both my 300WM and 7-08 brass had horribly inconsistent neck wall thickness. When using a bushing neck die, this places the bullet off axis with the barrel. Once turned and annealed, both shoot match quality. I anneal all of my brass with each firing.

Last thing... I do sort my 7-08 brass into +-1 gr. lots of 50... the weight deviation is significantly larger than Lapua. I have NOT tested large weight differences for POI change, so I may just be anal retentive (may?
wink.gif
)

John