• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 BRASS

hank440

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2009
Gambrills. MD
Hi guys,

I'm new here my name is HANK I'm an old jarhead.
What brass is best for reloading the .260 as in which manufacturer ? is anyone better than the other ? I reload handgun ammo but have just started with rifle ammo.

Thanks

Hank

Re: .260 BRASS

A search will get a ton of info

synopsis: Lapua 243 necked up= long life
: Rem 260 factory= softer heads[loose primer pockets if
you load hot]...some have no probs with
: necked up/down Win=good results [some have donut probs]

FWIW YMMV
Wes

R-P brass here. Ive gotten 7-8 reloads out of it and primer pockets are a lil lose on some. lost maybe 10 cases out 300.

hank...welcome to the hide.....please complete your profile

i have personally seen remington brass show up in the winners circle many many times....

+1 for 243 necked up or 308 necked down.

I have used both Remington and Nosler brass, Have had good results with the Rem. brass, the Nosler 260 brass is about twice the cost of the Rem. brass, Nosler brass needs no prep work and have the best results with the Nosler Brass

My approach is usually to employ Win .243 and somewhat less often, Win 7-08, based solely on local shelf availability. 7-8 reloads is not a particularly short case lifespan, but I'm guessing your loads are on the hotter side, pressure-wise, and find personally that careful pressure management can stretch case life to the 10-12 load range.

When my cases get iffy, I switch them to my varmint load which is 47.0gr of H4350 and the HDY 95gr V-Max, and is Hodgdon's min published load with that bullet. Still shoots like a laser, but pressures are so minimal I have yet to find the limit for load repetitions.

My barrel is 28" long, which allows me to attain the same higher velocities at lesser pressures, and is a key strategy in my efforts to increase throat and case lifespans.

Yes, I could drive them faster, but the bullets themselves can suffer from higher bore transit velocities, can also generate more copper fouling; and in the end, allowing the system to step down a bit to more cruise-like performance seems to make the whole process more reasonable overall.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yes, I could drive them faster, but the bullets themselves can suffer from higher bore transit velocities, can also generate more copper fouling; and in the end, allowing the system to step down a bit to more cruise-like performance seems to make the whole process more reasonable overall.

Greg </div></div>

+1

That's my philosophy with the .260...but a 95 grain VMAX .260 on cruise is kinda like a Corvette on cruise, you're still running pretty fast and passing most everything else out there!

Buck

My issue is the 28" barrel and 1:8" twist, really getting up there in the RPMs. With a max load, I'm thinking it could be running in the 3500-3600FPS range (or more?), and that's on the WoW scale, RPM-wise.

Fact is, V-Max is supposed to be a tough bullet, and I really should just go ahead and see whether they blow up at 49-50gr of H4350.

Greg