• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 build by Crain

jhead7416

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2005
Georgia
Back in June I received my 260 Remington built by Michael Crain who took over the shop at Boatright Custom Guns in Gassville, Arkansas. Turn around time was three weeks from the time I shipped all parts. Within a week, I took it to the range and did the barrel break-in. I then had a significant family setback and just now have been able to take some time to do the write up, share some pictures of this fine rifle and results of the range trip to break in barrel.

Jimmy_Jamiepictures8_3_09112.jpg

Specifications:
Blueprinted Remington 700 short action
Chambered with PTG 260 Remington Match
Brux barrel, SS, fluted, # 14 heavy Palma, 1/8 twist, 6.5mm finished at 24 inches
McMillan A5, GAP camo (J W Precision)
Badger Ordnance M5 bottom metal
Holland recoil lug
Defensive Edge side bolt release
Tactical bolt knob (R & D Precision)
All metal coated in black TRGuncoat

The barrel break-in consisted of 10 single shots and cleaned after each. Then I shot several three shot groups and cleaned after each group. First group was in the middle target, second group was the top left, third in the top right and fourth at the bottom right. You will note how the groups are beginning to tighten up. The bottom left target is a single hole produced by groups five and six together (shots 23 thru 28). These were shot at 130 yards off a bench with bipod. I am not a precision shooter but it certainly is showing fine potential even with me behind the trigger. Break-in loads were 42 gr. of H4831 topped with a Berger 140 grain VLD. I didn’t run them across the chronograph because I originally planned to use H4350 with 140 grain JLK for long range load development but the H4831 is looking good at present.

Stubbyand260holes008.jpg

Jimmy_Jamiepictures8_3_09004.jpg

Mr. Crain builds a beautiful rifle in a very reasonable time frame. He is a good honest man. He can be reached by email at Mike_2743 at yahoo.com

Also I received a 223 Match built by Mike to partner with the 260. Similar specs to the 260 too. I have not had a chance to really try it out yet but I would bet it’s a shooter too. I’ll post some results one day when I can make it to the range. Hopefully I can do that in February.

Crain223A5.jpg

Re: 260 build by Crain

Looks great! I am antsy as I have a Brux barrel 6.5 MTU sitting on my floor right now waiting on an action.

I ordered 6.5 and 224 fluted barrels from Brux and both delivered within four weeks. The 260 broke in easy. Haven't had time to do much with the 223 yet.

Been a while since I weighted it but I believe it was about 12.5 lbs. or so ready to go.

Watch out for the pin that holds that DE bolt release in, it's a pissweak hollow split pin and will snap if you work the bolt hard.