• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 Build Thread (PICS Added)*

The_Hoff

Team Swampkatz
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2010
NH, former New Orleans LA
When I 1st started shooting long range I built a precision AR15 in .223 and it has taught me a lot over the last few years. Now that I am getting a lot more active in shooting competitions and classes I have found the need for a more capable caliber and a bolt gun platform. Now I am a die hard Remmy fan but due to funds at the moment I opted for a Savage/Stevens build.
After the PMG class I was able to try out a few savages (<span style="font-style: italic">thanks ace</span>) and was able to try out the .260REM which really caught my attention.

So as soon as I got home I began searching for parts and started my build: A savage/stevens in .260REM

I am currently waiting on parts and my base rifle to ship but they are ordered and paid for.

Build as of now:

1. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Stevens 200 LA</span> Savage 110 LA in 270. from <span style="text-decoration: line-through">drunkhumpinmonkey
</span> 762frmafr
2. 26" 1:8 twist Shilen stainless select match 260 barrel from Jim at Northland shooting supply. (good people to deal with)

3. Heavy duty stainless recoil lug from Jim at Northland shooting supply

4. Choate Tactical Stock for Savage Long Action from Combatstocks.com (a temp. stock until a better stock can be afforded)

5. Warne 20moa one piece base from warne scope mounts.

This is the build as it sits and I will update as parts are received and ordered and as the build is worked on.

If you have any ideas or constructive criticism let me hear it always open to new ideas! Thanks.

-The_Hoff

Re: .260 Build Thread

Parts Still needed:

Savage 3 screw trigger
Burris 30mm XTR rings
B-square level
4-14x44 Falcon menace EMD
Harris bipod 6”-9” swivel
Eagle Stock pack
Tab sling
Tactical bolt knob

These will get my build into firing condition and allow me to start practicing and shooting. Once i update my stock I will be adding a DBM. then updating optics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4. Choate Tactical Stock for Savage Long Action from Combatstocks.com (a temp. stock <span style="font-weight: bold">until a better stock can be afforded</span>)</div></div>

Don't be so fast to write off your Choate, YMMV but I did the same thing planning on upgrading later but I have gotten surprising accuracy from my Choate. Kyle at CDI can inlet your Choate for his bottom metal and it works smooth as butter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The choate can be inleted? Also will have to find a dbm for a LA.
</div></div>

Jeff at CDI makes the bottom metal for a long action and it uses the AI mags, he will inlet your Choate at a very reasonable cost and great turnaround time.

http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/c1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7&Itemid=27

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are they weight wise? </div></div>

Heavier than the Monte Carlo stock that came on your Savage but lighter than an AICS.

Got your PM and responded. I will dig it out and take some photos.

CDI makes two different LA Savage DBMs:

*One that fits long-action cartridges (30-06, 300WM, etc) and uses magnum AI magazines

*One that uses short-action 308 AI magazines

If you are building a 260 on a long action, you'll probably want the latter vs. former.

Sounds like your copying Aces guns
grin.gif

Good shooting with you at PMG. I think you will like that build.

well my recoil lug and barrel came in today and i could not be happier with the product or the customer service!

stock should arrive tomorrow

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

Choate tactical stock came in today and I was VERY impressed.

very sturdy and bedding block looks great. I had heard reports of the stock action screws being to short in this stock. Choate solved this problem by now shipping the stocks with longer action screws. So far I'm loving this stock.

Will be interesting to see how their bipod mounting rail performs

Will get paint soon though lol

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

Your almost there. When you bring it out to RCSC I will have my 260 as well. What type of ammo are you going to run? I'll have some southwest if you want to try it out

don't have any ammo yet haha. so yea I'll try some of the southwest ammo lol.

Ran into a problem with my glass order from swfa. ordered a 5-25x56EMD falcon menace, got my confirmation email etc. then i get an email saying they were backordered. when i looked they had ordered me a ML-16 reticle! called SWFA and had them change the order and they tried to charge me again for a second scope!! I thought that might happen so i had my bank deny the charge so I have to call them tomorrow and fight with them now
frown.gif

It won't be a fight, they will take care of you. Them's good people over at SWFA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't have any ammo yet haha. so yea I'll try some of the southwest ammo lol.

Ran into a problem with my glass order from swfa. ordered a 5-25x56EMD falcon menace, got my confirmation email etc. then i get an email saying they were backordered. when i looked they had ordered me a ML-16 reticle! called SWFA and had them change the order and they tried to charge me again for a second scope!! I thought that might happen so i had my bank deny the charge so I have to call them tomorrow and fight with them now
frown.gif
</div></div>

Hmmm do they work on Saturday?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Choate tactical stock came in today and I was VERY impressed.

very sturdy and bedding block looks great. I had heard reports of the stock action screws being to short in this stock. Choate solved this problem by now shipping the stocks with longer action screws. So far I'm loving this stock.

Will be interesting to see how their bipod mounting rail performs

Will get paint soon though lol

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg
</div></div>

You will be pleased with stock. I have the same one on my Savage 110 3006 Ackley. Fits well. I did skim bed it and bedded around the recoil lug to fill in the large void around the lug for stability.
Nice build selections all around on Your new stick!

I thought you were gonna get the ultimate sniper stock... unimpressed.... :)

I just got the same stock for my Savage 12 LRP 260. It's one heck of a nice stock and very well built, mine did not come with the extra screws but my screws worked just fine. I will be skim bedding mine as well.

That stock is a work horse. It was not designed to be pretty or win style competitions. It is meant for work and toughness. For those who may say its to heavy, go to the gym more. I like them because they are brutally tough and dependable and they don't cost in the $700.00's. That being said on a working mans budget I couldn't bring myself to take a $700 dollar stock and beat it around like I have the Choate Tactical.

YMMV

My Action came in today!! just got home from work and screwed it together for a few pics, still missing a few key pieces though
wink.gif

but its getting there!

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lol northland, hate those stocks with a passion </div></div>

But YOU are the ULTIMATE SNIPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no i'm not NOrthland I don't have countersniper optics
wink.gif
hahaha </div></div>

You have one... I won't tell anyone how you love the CS scopes and your 'sniper' stocks and your ghillie seat covers.

Your rifle is looking really nice.
Here's my Savage 12LRP 260
Choate Tactical
Sightron S3 6x24-50 LRMOA.
NightForce Heavy Steel Rings Medium Height. I wish that I had gone with the Low Rings instead.
NightForce 20 moa Steel Base.
Harris S Series Bi pod.
I just need to find a good cheek pad.
IMG_20110821_191525.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">those are fighting words luke! we shall see at RCSC. lol </div></div>

Oh no no no, just giving you the credit you earned.

Well talked to swfa today and tey got my order corrected and sorted out the mess. My order is shipping out today so should have it in a few days
smile.gif

Now waiting on base, lookin for piano wire for a new trigger spring and reload equipment. Going to get paint for stock today.

Lookin good Hoff. You'll love that Shilen barrel! I've got a Shilen on my 25/300WSM and it averages around .3moa 5 shot groups with several loads. I'm having a 243 built on a M700 with a 4 groove, 1-8 twist, ratchet rifled Shilen right now. They are great shooting barrels!

well picked up some rustolium camo paint to give the stock a little curb appeal. decided to do a test stock with one of my old .22's

I went with a simple GAP camo, not to bad for my 1st try.

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

well got my brass, reload dies, etc. and the 140Amax ordered.

all that is left is a box of LG rifle primers, and 8LB of H4350

The rest is just accessory gear

Re: .260 Build Thread (PICS Added)*

Been busy lately update:

scope and rings came in and im loving the 5.5-25x56 falcon
the one thing about falcons i hated was how hard the magnification ring was to turn I went to turn it on my new scope and they have since fixed it
laugh.gif
it was a joy to play with lol

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

Also recieved 300pcs of brand new remmy 260 brass, 500 140grain AMAX, my redding dies, ammo boxes, shell holder, trimmer collets, etc. will snap pics when i can.

all im waiting on is my 20moa base from warne, 1000 WIN LR primers, and an 8LB jug of H4350