• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 Build

Shoots 700's

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2008
Chester, Virginia
What advantage would there be to building a 260 out of a long action from a Remington ADL .30-06 that i have owned for almost 30 years?

Other than the obvious savings of already having an action on hand.

Re: 260 Build

I think your main advantage with a short action caliber in a long action is going to be the ability to load the bullets out longer, but I have never found this to be an issue with the 260 as long as you have a magazine that will allow it. The AI magazines work fine. Since you have the long action on hand, have you considered doing something like a 6.5-06. This would allow you to take advantage of the longer action length.

For my 260, it seems like the bullets stick pretty far out of the case when loaded to mag length (2.8"). I don't think you gain much on the 260 going to a long action.

If I had the action, I would probably go with a 284. Those things rock, but it is personal preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What advantage would there be to building a 260 out of a long action from a Remington ADL .30-06 that i have owned for almost 30 years?

Other than the obvious savings of already having an action on hand. </div></div>

Build a 6.5x55 Swede on your LA. It'll smoke a 260.......although I do love my 260.

yeah, I have a 260 on a FN SPR action and a Benchmark barrel but if I was using a long action it would be a swede, or even a 6.5-06.

If you want to have some real fun; improve that 6.5x55. I like it better than the .280 Ackley. However, it's real hard to beat as it is.