• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 Bushings...

Re: .260 Bushings...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What size are y'all using? Is .007 neck tension too much? </div></div>

.007" is way too much neck tension in even a gas gun.

Gas Guns: .003"-.005" should be enough.

Bolt Guns: .001"-.003" should be fine.

For the 260 Rem, I loaded this caliber for a buddy for almost a year and using RP brass. IIRC, I was using the .289" and .290" TiNi bushings for that particular brand of brass.

These were 'no-turn' necks, so somewhat inconsistent in neck-wall thicknesses, but I believe it was between .002"-.003" of neck tension.

Chris

Any idea on bushing size for using necked down Win 7-08 brass?

Jason-you going to the dark side?
smile.gif

He is already there Ryan, he just hasnt had my results yet. A little more time with the new rifle and he will be good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grandslam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> He is already there Ryan, he just hasnt had my results yet. A little more time with the new rifle and he will be good to go. </div></div>

I got a 6.5mm barrel coming next week. Gonna put it on my current setup after SCPRC. I think I have the 289 bushing. Just hope it works forming 260 from 7/08 Winchester brass. Any input?

Well my rifle is almost done so I haven't reloaded any .260 yet.

I did measure my loaded rounds of Black Hills .260 with 139 grain Lapua in RP brass. They measured .289 OD. My bushings on hand are .289 and .288 and I'll use the .288 bushing.

I also measured my loaded rounds of Black Hills .260 with 139 grain Lapua in RP brass. I get .291 OD. I want .002 neck tension. Following Zediker's formula on pages 138-139, I get .291 - .002 = .289. Then he says most cases will retain .001 so taking that into account, I am going to try .288 bushing first. Will see what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deisel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also measured my loaded rounds of Black Hills .260 with 139 grain Lapua in RP brass. I get .291 OD. I want .002 neck tension. Following Zediker's formula on pages 138-139, I get .291 - .002 = .289. Then he says most cases will retain .001 so taking that into account, I am going to try .288 bushing first. Will see what happens. </div></div>

I'm curious on why the difference between our two observations.

I measured using the thin blade part of my mic and measured about 0.050 down from the mouth. I get 0.290-0.291" if I use the fat part of my jaws and have the top jaw surface about flush with the mouth.

I tried both fat and thin and moving up and down the neck a bit. Lowest I get is .2905, most .291. Must just be variation between mics. Think as long as you are consistent with measurement technique, it should not matter. I did measure after sizing with .288 bushing and I am getting .289 neck size. Plan to seat a few bullets later today, will see what OD is after seating, hopefully .291. Just working up load for new .260.

good point on the different micrometers. Mine is old and had been dropped! Really only care about the ability to get 0.001 to 0.002 smaller than loaded and not so much needing to know the exact number.

My chamber was cut with a standard .260 reamer from PTG and not a match chamber. It is at minimum headspace though. I don't ream or turn necks (yet). I've been considering it but it seems like too much work for what I actually require.

I can't wait to start making ammo. I have a case of Black Hills factory and some SMK 142's to try. I think I'm also going to try a 123 grain load.