• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 cheap/ bulk/ practice ammo

Tacsnipe73

Infidel
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2012
Virginia
I have found it really hard to find any .260 ammo that isn't match grade and premium priced. What I am looking for is junk ammo to have fun with, but I cant seem to be able to find it anywhere. I know its not so common of a caliber, but does anyone know where cheap .260 ammo can be found?

Re: .260 cheap/ bulk/ practice ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tacsnipe73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found it really hard to find any .260 ammo that isn't match grade and premium priced. What I am looking for is junk ammo to have fun with, but I cant seem to be able to find it anywhere. I know its not so common of a caliber, but does anyone know where cheap .260 ammo can be found? </div></div>

The issue with 260(and most of the 6.5s) is that it's not a NATO or military cartridge so there isn't a surplus of cheap components; couple that with few major manufacturers jumping on board as far as mass production, and all you have left is match grade.

If you reload, it can be had for about $1.20/round depending on the components. If you don't take the dive cuz that initial investment will pay for itself in a season.

I've got a RCBS Jr. Press I can cut you a good deal on to get you started.

But who wants to?
smile.gif

You don't get a 260 for cheap ammo you get it for performance. You don't buy a Ferrari to save on gas you get the Prius.

Feeeeed the machine, buy some reloading stuff and it will pay for itself quickly and you will have match ammo at a great price.

We might be able to help with this in about 3 months or so. SWA MATCH on the head stamp. Exciting stuff to come.

Every shot counts.you should learn something every time you press the trigger.

With 243 or 308 you can pickup cheap soft point Federal or Winchester, $15/box at walmart. Not so 260. Everyone only loads premium bullets.

If you handload you can find bulk Winchester .264 bullets but they are dual diameter meant to bore-ride in a .264 Win Mag. They shoot all right but if you're going to the trouble to load put in some Match Kings for not much more. = good ammo, least expensive route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We might be able to help with this in about 3 months or so. SWA MATCH on the head stamp. Exciting stuff to come. </div></div> Sounds interesting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We might be able to help with this in about 3 months or so. SWA MATCH on the head stamp. Exciting stuff to come. </div></div> Sounds interesting...</div></div>

No shit, right?! Southwest ammo is getting too legit to quit! Sounds like fun...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We might be able to help with this in about 3 months or so. SWA MATCH on the head stamp. Exciting stuff to come.</div></div> Thats awesome, I will be keeping my eyes peeled!

Cheap ammo = poor results.

Shoot quality ammo and learn something from each and every shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheap ammo = poor results.

Shoot quality ammo and learn something from each and every shot.</div></div> Calling us shitty ammo? Or is that in general?

Zach

I have a .22 and a .308 to plink with, but I have a .260 to get those .25 MOA groups and it is good!!!

Southwest had some Match stuff the other day for like $20 a box, but I have not been to their site in a couple of weeks...

I agree with the guys above... reloading is the only way to do it, somewhat cheaply...

And you get the satisfaction of knowing that that .25 MOA ammo was loaded by you!!!

Good Luck...

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. That its a general statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheap ammo = poor results.

Shoot quality ammo and learn something from each and every shot.</div></div> Calling us shitty ammo? Or is that in general?

Zach </div></div>

Cheap ammo is penny wisdom and pound foolishness. Never waste bore life on substandard ammo.

Practice or training should be done with a .22LR. It's cheap enough to be able to afford reasonably accurate ammo; while using the centerfire for practice imposes a bore wear penalty that really can't be justified. Save that bore for more serious applications.

I've been shooting for decades, and I've never worn out a bore; absolutely because I do all my practice, training, and fun shooting with the rimfire.

If getting hits is the question, the rimfire is the answer. The centerfire only enters the conversation when terminal performance becomes a mandate.

Don't confuse pure accuracy in a training rifle with benefit. Moderately reasonable accuracy, as long as its performance is truly consistent, is good enough.

The point about practice is to eliminate variables from the performance equation, so the shooter becomes the only truly noticeable variable. Whether that's based on 2MOA or 1/4MOA basic rifle accuracy is not the point. Actually, a .22lr that's shooting 2MOA <span style="font-style: italic">on its own</span> is not a bad trainer, as long as it's only performance variable is shooter ability on the given day.

SWAmmo is not shit ammo. I would buy their ammo with my own impression that it's made as if their customer's life depended on its accuracy. It is what I'd use if I were seriously intending to deliver some effective terminal performance. It's priced well, but price would not be high on my list of priorities when shopping for SWAmmo.

I handload a lot, but for purposes beyond paper shooting in match conditions, I rely on commercially produced ammo. That's where their volume production methods stand out. Away from the shooting bench, my shooting techniques and abilities are dead center in line with the performance and consistency that good commercial ammo affords. I will gladly pay what additional cost may be involved as a tradeoff against my time, and the understanding that whatever the commercial ammo's performance is, I can have reasonable confidence it will be consistent throughout whatever volume of usage my needs will require.

I think SWAmmos's combination of price and performance is superior. I have never bought or fired a round of it so far. I don't believe a need to. I do believe I can confidently base my own personal judgement on the consistent praise of others who have.

Greg

+1 Greg. Get a 22LR and practice with it! I'm shooting 22LR versions of all my match rifles and pistols these days.

I use a .260 Rem for competition, but like you, I can't afford to run it at the range for practice. So instead of dropping several grand on several thousand rounds of match ammo, I bought a high quality 22LR rifle (Sako Quad). It's mounted in a Maners stock just like the one on my match rifle, and while it's a few pounds shy of the weight of my match rifle, it's still very similar. I'm also using a 22LR pistol for training, it's pretty much identical to my 9mm match pistol. It's fun to shoot, and I don't blow through $50 dollars worth of ammo every time I hit the range.

Switching to 22LR for training just made good financial sense to me. 2500 rounds of match ammo and a trip to the smith for a new barrel is about $3200.00 to $3400.00 bucks. That's about what I expect to shoot each year if I attend 3 to 4 matches and training sessions. My 22LR training rifle was $1600.00 and optics for it were $1400.00. Instead of 2500 spent cases of 260 brass and bill for $750 for a new barrel, I have a sweet rifle/scope set up that costs me about $15.00 in ammo per range session. Plus, I only shoot my match rifle at competitions now, and that means I'm only re-barreling it every 9 or 10 matches. With the cost of re-loading components going through the roof, and there not being any cheap off-the-shelf .260 ammo, I think the 22LR is a sound solution to your dilemma.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We might be able to help with this in about 3 months or so. SWA MATCH on the head stamp. Exciting stuff to come. </div></div>

Sweet!!

It's looking like January when we might have someone to make us brass. We are excited about this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's looking like January when we might have someone to make us brass. We are excited about this.

</div></div>

Nice!