• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 from 308

Kgun

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2007
Hi guys,
Do you know what the proper procedure for forming 260 brass from 308 brass?
Do I just crush the necks down into a 260 fl die? Do I have to go to 7mm then to 260?
Thanks
Kgun

Re: 260 from 308

Some do, some don't. If you have a 7mm or 270 sizer, it can be used. The 260 seater can be used as an intermediate. Experimentation will tell you what works for you. Not a direct answer, but others will give a variety of answers. Variables would sizing lube, brand of brass, polish on dies, size of press, how strong you are, and your personal standards. I wouldn't try a one step with my current press; with a big press I would certainly attempt it to see if I could eliminate the intermediate step.

I did about 300 FC cases some time back as I could not find 260 brass; had not problems going directly to 260 and lost very few cases. Your results may vary as mentioned previously.
If you can find brass, you will save time. I turned the necks also, resizing was Ok but I hate turning necks.
Can only say try it and see what works for you. Good luck.

If you have a 7mm-08 die, use that but if not I wouldn't worry about buying one. I'm no expert but just did 300 LC Match cases with good result, I just neck turned, sized with a .260 die, and trimmed. Remember the necks will get thicker when you size them down. The trimming was just to get a uniform length, they were a little short already.

You may wish to neck turn first. The thinner necks will size more easily, and be more consistent when you are finished. Imperial Sizing Die Wax is your friend. You need to have a tubing micrometer before starting, don't even try the process without one, you won't get the correct neck thickness measurement. Brass turned to 0.013" ended up about 0.017" thick and had to neck turn again to get the correct thickness. The cases may end up short of SAMMI spec, don't worry about it. I've taken them from .308 to 7mm to 6.5 without problems as long as I used wax. You may wish to anneal after necking down, but it is up to you.

HTH,
DocB

Been there and done it. Donuts will cause trouble. Best thing to do is use 7mm08 brass. Use Winchester brass if you can

Thank you for all the replys.
Would it be easier to neck up 243?

Kgun

Some people prefer to neck up 243 brass. I think this would bigger problems than necking down 308 or 7mm-08. The case body itself is longer on the 243 case which could leave a bulge or donut at the shoulder. Im going to neck down 7mm-08 brass as they are the closest to 260 cases when I finally wear out my R-P 260 brass.

IMHO, .308 to .260 is too much necking down. I customarily use Win .243 necked up, and sometimes use Win 7-08 necked down. Of the two, I think necking down is proabably marginally better due to donut issues, but then when I'm buying brass, it's usually the .243 which is onhand, and I've seldom seen actual problems attributable to donuts.

Greg