• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 from 708 brass?

Re: 260 from 708 brass?

win brass? I just run my win 7-08 brass thru a redding type s die with a 290 bushing, the first time i use a expander, after that no expander, with 7-9 firings a 139 scenar drops in

IM using a FL forster die win,fed and rem brass does the same thing,should I only neck size and bump

I use the Hornady New Dimension F/L Die with the expander. I set the die height a little high, so the bottom end of the neck doesn't get sized. First chambering can be snug, but once fired, any donuts seem to be negigible.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">win brass? I just run my win 7-08 brass thru a redding type s die with a 290 bushing, the first time i use a expander, after that no expander, with 7-9 firings a 139 scenar drops in </div></div>I do this same thing. Works fine.

I start off with LC Match cases and firstFL size with 308 die then go to 7/08 then to 260. I stress relieve them before each operation as that is lots of brass movement to harden things up. Also I use Imperial Sizing Die wax.

Might be better to use 243 brass and expand it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might be better to use 243 brass and expand it up. </div></div>

This works well too.

I've made 260 cases from 243, 7-08 and LC 308 brass. The LC brass needs to have the necks turned before I can fire them in my rifle because there's not enough to clear the bullet, less than 0.0005" of diametral clearance and pressure signs are apparent even at light loads. YMMV depending on chamber dimensions.

The 243 and 7-08 brass I've used Winchester stuff and it's a lube, size, load process without any hiccups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might be better to use 243 brass and expand it up. </div></div>

With out neck turning necking up will cause a major donut, hence more work, necking down 7-08 is no more work than FL sizing straight 260 brass