• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 in an AR Platform

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
I'm thinking about making the transition from 308 to 260 in an AR platform. But what I'm gathering from a lot of reading is that .260 is a great round out of a bolt gun. However, would I be trading off the advantages of the .260 projectile to keep the advantages of an AR rifle (i.e. barrel length, weight, etc.)?

These are just thoughts I'm getting after doing some reading. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience shooting the 260 on an AR platform.

Re: .260 in an AR Platform

I shoot .260 in an AR-10 with 26" barrel across the course and also have shot it some long range. With my 600yd/1000yd line load of 45gr of H4831SC and a 142SMK I'm getting around 2770fp and it shoots fine out to 1000yds for NRA competition. You may give a little up to a bolt gun but its still a great round. At the other yard lines I'm shooting 123gr SMKs at around 2820fps and they hammer also. Ballistics and recoil wise it is the way to go. For bras I use LC .308 brass as I have loads of it and it lasts a long time.

Why do you not run the 123 at distance? I am waiting on a 26" Broughton as we speak for this same adventure.

Have the 260LR upper for my DPMS and it works great, rarely us the 308 upper at all. (easy 1000+ rounds through each)

Well when I oriignally got my rifle I was going to use it for both course and Long Range. So I shot 123's across the course with 38.5gr of N150. Hammered at 600. Then I used my 142 load for 1000yd. However I've since started shooting a .280 Remington Tube Gun for LR. Thus I had all my loaded 142's and the bullets sitting around so I started using it at 600. With the heavier 123 load it shot identical to the 142's at 600. However I decided I didn't need all that horsepower for the 200/300 yard lines. With this in mind I backed the 123 load down to the next accuracy node which was around 36gr of N150. I could still shoot the 123's at 600, however I don't.

I'm looking at getting the GAP-10 with a 22" barrel. Anyone shooting a 22" .260? What kind of weight are you lugging around with the 24"+ barrels?

Think mine is aprox 12+lbs. But I'm shooting NRA competitions and nut lugging it around in a tactical sense.

Is there any practicality or would I be losing the advantages of the .260 if I were to have a short 18" barrel in that caliber? Are there any bullet velocity vs. barrel length charts out there?

Personally I think you'd be loosing allot with a 18" barrel espeially if your wanting to go to 1000yds. My 142gr load which is around 2750fps, would be about 2510fps with an 18" barrel. If your not wanting to go to 1000yds and just wanting to stay close you may be ok, but I'm biased towards longer barrels. I'm sure in the tactical arena someone can probably give you that opinion.

I ran both a 24" and 18" .260 autoloader, both from DPMS.

DPMS308260Collect.jpg

(260s are the 2 on the bottom)

After about a year working with them, I gave up on them because I could not get the performance that I was looking for.

When I tried to pick up the velocity, the brass was getting the crap beat out of it. I am sure if you wanted to spend a lot of time working with an adjustable gas block and the buffer that you could make some gains in the velocity without trashing the brass.

I also had issues with heat impacting the accuracy, both in terms of the barrel, and the heat transfer to the rounds. When I got heavy on the trigger and ran off 5-8 rounds pretty quickly, you could see the groups starting to open up.

IMHO, go with the heaviest and longest fluted barrel that you are OK with. Make sure you have an adjustable gas block if it is a DI system. Don't expect to match a bolt rifle performance, but you should be able to do fairly well as long as you don't rapidly crank out a large volume of rounds.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">captrichardson, the pic didn't come through for some reason, I'd like to see it. </span>

Disregard, I see them....Damn man! You got an AR fetish like I do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally I think you'd be loosing allot with a 18" barrel espeially if your wanting to go to 1000yds. My 142gr load which is around 2750fps, would be about 2510fps with an 18" barrel. If your not wanting to go to 1000yds and just wanting to stay close you may be ok, but I'm biased towards longer barrels. I'm sure in the tactical arena someone can probably give you that opinion. </div></div>

So that's down to where a 308 would be with that barrel length. Since I have no experience with the 260 and am looking for something on the more tactical side, it may not be worth it to stray from the 308 quite yet. I could end up spending a lot of money and a lot of time getting it to work when 308 is a lot more available and I already have experience loading it.

The .260 GAP is quite a bit more accurate then the same thing in .308. Mine has a 22" barrel. It is pretty damn close to my .260 bolt gun performance. Had it out to 1200 yards and its a dream. Go .260.you won;t be looking back, JMHO YMMV

Damn it Dave! You're making my decision harder.
grin.gif
Why have one when I can have both

Good thing about the AR platform, you can have a single lower, and you can change caliber and barrel length just by switching out uppers! If you are sitting on the fence, you can always get a "308 Parent Lower", and whatever .308 Upper configuration that fits your needs, and shoot the hell out of it. Then if you think you need the extra performance level of the .260, you can always just pickup another Upper and you are ready to go. While I was running up to 5 different rifle configurations at one point (16"-24" barrels, .308 & .260 calibers), I was only running two Lowers (Carbine & Precision Long Range setups), and really could have only run one.

IMHO, a .260 does its best when it is being launched above 2,750 fps where it can take full advantage of the 6.5s great BCs. When you start to get into autoloaders, it can be more of a challenge to hit the higher velocities. If the Upper is built properly, proper barrel length, and the ability to regulate the gas, then getting above 2,750 fps is not really a problem. However if you go with a shorter barrel, and try to run hot/fast loads, then chances are you will "over gas" the system and beat the hell out of everything.

The other issue you have to deal with is the heat in the system under rapid firing. You either have to stay off the trigger and avoid it as much as possible, or learn how to deal with it. If you are going to be running the rounds quickly, then look at slightly dropping the powder charge in the load and making sure you are using the least temp sensitive powders. You also have to be able to recognize when the heating is coming into play and adjust your shooting accordingly like compensating for the rising velocity / higher point of impact.

As many have pointed out, a properly built Upper, with the correct load, and shooting techniques, will shoot very well. However you can't just grab any Upper and Load, and expect to get a "Bolt Rifle Performance Level" out of an Autoloader.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

I want the 260 so bad it hurts, but I may be leaning more toward the 308 because of simple economics. The cost difference in ammo will outweigh the slight advantage that 260 will have over 308 at that barrel length. But I like your idea of just getting both, and it's something I've really been considering.

Also, because of where I live, I really won't have the regular opportunity to push a 260 out to where it shines. I had to ask myself last night, "Where in W. Washington am I going to find 800+ yards on a regular basis?" As badly as I want to shoot that far, there just isn't anything available like that unless I drive five hours east. Fat chance my wife is going to let me keep my balls if I did that every weekend.

If i were you i would get the 18" bull 308, you can get a 24" .260 later for the long range shooting. (make sure you come shoot with us SHWW guys sometime)

I shoot a lot of long range so i first picked up the 24" bull 308, then the 24" bull .260, someday i'll get a 18" bull

(my lower with match trigger & all my mags work with any of the uppers)

Pat, I think that's were I'm going to go with this. Where do you guys shoot? I'd love to tag along sometime.

Team-Send-It , BigWheels, JimthePlumber all put on a few shoots a year, just have to keep an eye on this site.

We have a good range here in Wenatchee ($5 to shoot with a member) & a area in Cashmere that AlanH has some steel set up at ?800yds