• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 obr

Christopher Rance

CR2 Shooting Solutions
Minuteman
I want to make this conversion as smooth as possible. I want to keep my OBR but sling .260 instead of .308. Any recommendations on this conversion are appreciated. I don't want to part with my OBR due to the history I have with it, but want to enhance my shooting platform.

Would like to stay within a 18"-20" barrel. This will be run suppressed.

I want to make this conversion as smooth as possible. I want to keep my OBR but sling .260 instead of .308. Any recommendations on this conversion are appreciated. I don't want to part with my OBR due to the history I have with it, but want to enhance my shooting platform.

I would stay with the Barrel length you currently have to keep that familiarity. As for the actual conversion I recommend going to Larue to see if they can do it for you? or send it to GAP to get it done. I know GAP works on other customer supplied AR Platforms too. I've seen Armalite/Novestke/DPMS all been built by GAP before. Just make sure not to skim on the Barrel.

Good Luck!

Just throw the cash down up front on a JP .260 barrel with the spaced bolt. You also might want to consider a JP LMOS BCG...my buddy did this with all of his OBR's. His deal was that he liked the aesthetics of the OBR's over the JP's, but he witnessed the JP's shoot more accurately with a substantially diminished recoil impulse.

JP barrels are the stuff.

Word is Larue will be offering 6.5 barreled variants (6.5 creed)... when they become available, well that's another question.

Just a thought, my understanding is that the 6.5 Creed was designed with semi-auto magazine feeding in mind. Any reason for the 260 over the creed? BTW, I'll be sending my OBR to GAP for a 6 Creed barrel...

Last edited:
I rebarreled my OBR to 260. The conversion was easy. I used a DPMS Barrel extension and throated the barrel for Sierra 123s.

Like JP, I used a Lilja barrel.

Very happy.

I thought 6.5 Creedmoor was Hornady's response to the .260 Remington, by necking down the 30TC. Since the shoulder location is shorter, the guide ribs in magazine meant for the 7.62 NATO or .308 don't necessarily work with it how they should.

Conversely, .260 Rem, .243 Win, and 7mm-08 all use the same shoulder location and angle, so they work well with existing magazines meant for the .308, their parent.

I think the internal ballistics might be better with the 6.5 Creedmoor case, especially due to shoulder angle, but I'm not so sure it was a cartridge conceived with being cycled through a self-loader.

I thought 6.5 Creedmoor was Hornady's response to the .260 Remington, by necking down the 30TC. Since the shoulder location is shorter, the guide ribs in magazine meant for the 7.62 NATO or .308 don't necessarily work with it how they should.

Conversely, .260 Rem, .243 Win, and 7mm-08 all use the same shoulder location and angle, so they work well with existing magazines meant for the .308, their parent.

I think the internal ballistics might be better with the 6.5 Creedmoor case, especially due to shoulder angle, but I'm not so sure it was a cartridge conceived with being cycled through a self-loader.

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand: I thought I had read that the Hornady designers (a couple guys from Hornady and Dennis Demille) set out to specifically design a cartridge for use in across the course high power competition, and that part of the design requirements were to be able to seat the longest bullets in a standard .308 length magazine. Since the 6.5 Creed is shorter than the .260, this is thought to be an advantage the Creed has. Is this wrong?

Regardless, C. Rance was asking about .260, so sorry for the thread detour...

This discussion is way out of my league, but look for Zak Smiths review of the .260, 6.5 creed, and 6.5x47L. My google fu on my phone sucks so i cant find it and post a link. I believe he covered which might be best in an autoloader due to case design.

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand: I thought I had read that the Hornady designers (a couple guys from Hornady and Dennis Demille) set out to specifically design a cartridge for use in across the course high power competition, and that part of the design requirements were to be able to seat the longest bullets in a standard .308 length magazine. Since the 6.5 Creed is shorter than the .260, this is thought to be an advantage the Creed has. Is this wrong?

I know that plenty have chambered in 6.5 CM, and it's even a factory option with DPMS, Fulton Armory, and some of the smaller shops that build AR10's. With attention to detail with the feed ramps, it can run well. I also think that when discussing magazines, that included detachable bottom metal for bolt guns.

If you look at the concept around the 30TC, it basically is a slightly cut-down .308 Winchester, with a 30 degree shoulder. The .308 Win has a case length of 2.015", while the 30TC is 1.920". Bases of both are .473", extractor rim thickness are the same at .054". The main difference with the 30TC is that it used a much longer COL, so bullets could be seated out longer to over 3.000". Most of the 168-178gr loads with spitzer bullets are at 3.025" COL, which gives more room in the case for powder.

I suspect that the major design ideas from the 30TC carried over to the 6.5CM, but I haven't spoken with the Hornady folks about this since our discussions always revolve around another 6.5mm cartridge. Most hand loaders haven't even heard of the 30TC, since the popularity of the .308 Winchester kept it marginalized.

Although I chose to go with the 260 in a bolt gun, I believe you are correct. That was some of the info I came up with when I was doing research prior to my purchase.

The 260 REm, 6.5 CM, and 6.5x47 are ballistically nearly alike. The 6.5 CM was designed to allow seating the bullet so it would feed well from most 308 length magazines, wouldn't interfere too much with powder capacity, and wouldn't require seating the bullet too close to the ogive (powder capacity, and throating concerns).

Off-topic, but I read that Lilja used to supply JP`s barrels, does anyone know who JP currently gets the blanks from though? It says on the site theyre button-rifled, but doesnt give a supplier. I know Liljas are button-rifled, so are they still using them?

Thanks.

Off-topic, but I read that Lilja used to supply JP`s barrels, does anyone know who JP currently gets the blanks from though? It says on the site theyre button-rifled, but doesnt give a supplier. I know Liljas are button-rifled, so are they still using them?

Thanks.

no, JP uses Wilson Arms barrels:
Wilson Arms

Wilson makes them to JP's specs.

I contacted JP and they said " OBR has a discreet port position and size that is really not compatible with our barrels."

Will this work or should I look at other options for converting my OBR?

I did not use the LaRue gas block. I used a PRI adjustable gas block.

Runs like shit through a goose.