• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 or 243 at magazine length?

selfbowhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2006
TEXAS
i am ready to start on a new rifle. i already have the surgeon receiver and wyatts detachable mazazine which has a useable space of 2.890. i was going with a 6.5x47 because i want to be able to reach the lands, feed from the magazine, and not be in the neck/shoulder junction. the rifle will be used for long range targets/hunting and i am afraid the 6.5x47 may run out of gas so i was considering the 260ack. i am also pretty cheap and i dont like the thought of $80 brass IF YOU CAN FIND IT. has anyone built a 260ack or 243ack that runs at magazine length and at the lands? what is the freebore on the reamer? do you get into the neck/shoulder junction with the commonly used heavy bullets? has anyone ever built a 6.5x250ack. this should have more case capacity than the 6.5x47 and you could use the cheaper and readily available winchester 22-250 brass. thanks in advance for the help.

chuck

Re: 260 or 243 at magazine length?

Im having a 243ai built and I have sent the builder 3 mock up rounds that fit in the AICS mag. I've asked them to throat the chamber so these rounds just kiss the lands. If you're having one built, this is the way to go (as long as it all works out). I kept my loaded round about 0.020" away from max mag length so I can chase the lands.

A 22-250 necked up to 6mm is a 6xc. If it is necked up and blown out to 6.5mm it is known as a 6.5 xc. If you blow it out even more to give it a 40 degree shoulder that makes it a 6mm Mojo.
For what its worth,
Dustin Morris

a 22-250 necked to 6mm is the 6mmX. slightly improved is the 6mmXC. i have never heard of the mojo. i will be building the rifle myself so i am just wondering if there is a reamer spec that will allow rounds to touch the lands at magazine length and not be in the neck/shoulder junction. i am really leaning toward the 6.5x250ack. it will be similiar to the 6.5x47 with a little more capacity. winchester brass has always worked well for me and shoots and well in my 308 as lapua does. i wish the neck was a little longer but so it goes. i dont think for my applications the small rifle primer will have too much advantage. thanks again.

chuck