• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 260 or 308 for hunting?

fredjake1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2009
Looking for input on caliber choice for new rifle build. 20 - 22" barrel with most shooting under 300 yards on whitetails.

Re: 260 or 308 for hunting?

I'd go for the 260, but you couldn't go wrong with either. There's a lot more reloading components and ammo out there for the 308 though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarbonOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go for the 260, but you couldn't go wrong with either. There's a lot more reloading components and ammo out there for the 308 though. </div></div>

If you are only going to have one, get the .308. Like Carbonone said, either is great, but the .308 is going to do the job and have a lot of options for loading. I have recommended the .260 to some deer hunting friends around here, but they do not reload and say they cannot find loaded ammo.

I have both and wondered how far would you feel safe with power on taking down deer sized game? Not hitting them but power factor.

Either would do just fin but for me if recoil wasn't a rel big deal i would look at 338 federal, 35 whelan, or my favorite for under 400 yards 375 h&h.

I like to make a deer roll over before they get up and run off it gives me a better chance to shoot them.

260 if I was building one now. 308 is highly versatile however. Still the 260 for white's

EVERYONE should have a go-to .308

a couple of years ago my young triplet daughter smacked her first doe at a fair distance...(265ish) with a .260.....had a grapefruit sized hole on the back side......i'm just sayin

I'd vote 260 because velocity kills. You can push a 260 a little faster than a 308 with the same weight bullet,a nd it has a higher BC. But there is nothing wrong with a 308 for hunting with a 150 grain SST or similar bullet.

There is no wrong choice here and either will work great so I dont know why I am weighin in here but...

I absolutely love my 308 with 165 NOS accubonds, it is a hammer with them with better ballistics even than the 175smk, at least a deer ranges. A good bullet is more important than just about anything other than shot placement. If you are truly strictly hunting, the 308 is a no brainer just for factory ammo availibility alone. Now, since you are asking this question on the Hide, I suspect your interest may run deeper than just hunting. If so...

The 260 has a lot going for it if you will reload and plan to shoot long range comps, etc.

That being said if you hunt but are looking to get into long range shooting as I did a while back then go get a Rem 700 sps, LTR, or 5r milspec in 308win. Buy a couple cases of Fed Gold Medal Match 168smk or prefereably 175smk and practice. Still into it, then get into reloading, your choices will abound in 308 and it is forgiving...and then get a custom rifle built in 260 or caliber of choice. By then you will know what you want.

I would think ammo availabilty would come into play as well, out in the sticks somewhere your almost always goona be able to find .308 not so sure about .260

This is exactly what I did. I have a modified LTR and a custom GAP 260 on order. It all depends on what you are wanting to do, its just a tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That being said if you hunt but are looking to get into long range shooting as I did a while back then go get a Rem 700 sps, LTR, or 5r milspec in 308win. Buy a couple cases of Fed Gold Medal Match 168smk or prefereably 175smk and practice. Still into it, then get into reloading, your choices will abound in 308 and it is forgiving...and then get a custom rifle built in 260 or caliber of choice. By then you will know what you want. </div></div>

Oh and the 2 hogs and 1 deer that I have killed with the 308 and the 168 AMAX were all DRT. Either one will kill a deer if you do your part.

If you are only going to be shooting to 300 yds, I would choose the 308. I would prefer the option of the heavier bullets, especially if you are shooting around any cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can push a 260 a little faster than a 308 with the same weight bullet,</div></div>

Weight for caliber, yes. Grain fo grain, no way.

To the original poster, I'd go for a 308 in your situation.

I can't agree with KYpatriot more . 308 w/ 165 gr Nosler Accubonds . I've been shooting this combo 3 years now and it is a hammer on whitetails.

You can pick a 260 & 140's or a 7mm-08 & 150's or a 308 & 160's, and hunt whitetails the rest of your life.

Arguing which is better, makes for interesting conversation over the campfire, but if you know how to shoot and know how to reload, it really makes very little difference in the long run. What one can do, the other can do. "Better" exists only in the mind of the shooter.

If you don't reload, and never want to try, buy the 308 only because your ammo selection is superior.

Bob

If forced to slum shit over the counter,the 308 wins by default.

Barring that affliction,I'll take the 7-08/162's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If forced to slum shit over the counter,the 308 wins by default.

</div></div>

Solid advice from someone who sounds like they have killed more than a few - blacktails maybe? Any luck on that nice blacktail seen a couple of seasons ago? Here's toast to you.
cheers.gif

Oddly enough,I'm "lucky" every year. This spring no exception.

solid advice on the 7mm-08

Its like a .308, only you can use 7mm projectiles which can have a higher BC than 7.62mm .308 projectiles... the recoil is slightly reduced, and the accuracy is fantastic

Besides that, I shoot a .308 and love it.

At the end of the day a .308 can everything a .260 can, and vice-versa. It all comes down to the driver.

That said the .308 has more choices in regards to ammo.

Daughter launched a 162 not long ago.

IMG_8112.jpg

When Zeiss 10x40 Classics and a Leica 1200 LRF leave airspace between the ears,you are onto something(and then some).

IMG_8102.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are only going to be shooting to 300 yds, I would choose the 308. I would prefer the option of the heavier bullets, especially if you are shooting around any cover. </div></div>

I'm going to agree with this. I have a fine 308 that shoots very well. But for most of the hunting I do, I favor my 25-06, Rem 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cacodo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dedicated WT stick under 300 why go big? Multi purpose is another story. </div></div>

Didn't realize that the 7-08 was considered outlandishly "big". My kids started killing with a 7-08,while in single digit ages and less a complaint.

A 22" 7-08 that is of modest contour/weight and exceptional balance/handling,will cover alotta bases less concession. There is zero qualm from the muzzle to 1K+ and such options only add opportunity,which will frost it's dedication to utility.

That's what reliably bears the most fruit.

Larry,

You have convinced me to go the 7-08 route, and my barrel is at the gun plumber along with my rifle. I had told him that I originally wanted to go 18" to run a silencer without causing an unbalanced weapon, but have since wondered if it really is too short. The rifle will spend half of it's time killing critters, so I just want to make sure that I am not wasting the practicality with too short a barrel.

Two questions:
1. What do you use for brass, and what is your prep? I have plenty of .308 lapua brass, but don't get into spending much time turning necks or other time consuming shit.

2. What is the shortest barrel you would run when shooting 162s, will an 18" barrel get me above 2600?

You are talking modest capacity/powder charges and midsized bore diameter,which in conjunction will always yield very nice performance from scant barrel lengths.

There is nothing that I'd point a 26" 7-08 at,that I'd not feel equally comfortable doing likewise with an 18" version of same. I love the 7-08 in a 14" XP-100. Build for balance/handling and the rest will fall nicely into place. I'd never build longer than 22".

Forget the tightnecked headache version and rest assured that you can run whatever hull suits your tastes. I don't own a 7-08 Custom or otherwise,that will not digest 308 Lapua necked down and happily. Turning is for the birds.

Thanks Larry,

It should be a pretty handy killer, talked to the smith today and he is using a reamer that is no turn, and I am having him throat it at mag length. I should be able to find a couple of good uses for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he is my triplets daughters first buck ....a .260 match bullet at around 265 yd
MVC-030S-5.jpg
</div></div>

what match bullet was that? im currently building a 260 for hunting and might consider this bullet. right now im leaning towards 130 vld hunting bullet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If forced to slum shit over the counter,the 308 wins by default.

</div></div>

Solid advice from someone who sounds like they have killed more than a few - blacktails maybe? Any luck on that nice blacktail seen a couple of seasons ago? Here's toast to you.
cheers.gif
</div></div>

Last year wasn't so bad and Season isn't much more than a month away.

NovemberRuttwoA.jpg

Yeah, let's hear what match bullet was used to make the lil hole in the side of that deer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FreshKills</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cacodo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dedicated WT stick under 300 why go big? Multi purpose is another story. </div></div>

Didn't realize that the 7-08 was considered outlandishly "big". My kids started killing with a 7-08,while in single digit ages and less a complaint.

A 22" 7-08 that is of modest contour/weight and exceptional balance/handling,will cover alotta bases less concession. There is zero qualm from the muzzle to 1K+ and such options only add opportunity,which will frost it's dedication to utility.

That's what reliably bears the most fruit.

</div></div>

General statement eluding that quite possibly a 223, 223AI or a tad bigger might be the ticket if one had an itch.

AS stated a multi purpose stick might require a re-evaluation.

As ballistics and downrange Ooomph go,the 7-08 is all but a free lunch.

Though I of course shoot a little bit of everything and hear good things about the 223AI in particular.

Personally, I'm trying to drive the 308 based calibers and am fond of the 7-08 and the 243. That being said my fancy leans towards the 308 for pure simplicity and available factory match fodder from BH and Corbon. I play in the Corbon field often as the spent cases being lapua has some benefit.
However, if one is so inclined to dedicate a short range,light weight venison getter the 223 and AI have filled many freezers.

I'll even give the nod to your favorite Barnes based projectile.

If I had the need, I might be inclined.

The 243AI/105A-Max melding,rates a thunk.

Anything in the melon,is entertaining. The 257Wby/115BT combo,especially so.