• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 or .308?

RAWHDE

“I have seen enough to know, I have seen too much”
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
Not a hunter, really just target shooting up to 800+yds. Understand more folks are going with .260 now...is that true? Thoughts? Pros/Cons?

Thanks

Re: .260 or .308?

thanks...and all others can disregard as I saw the common thread with regards to different calibers.
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260 if you reload. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">308</span> 6.5 Creedmoor if you don't.</div></div>

Fixed it for you
grin.gif

The 260 really does have the ballistics of a 300 WM, but with less recoil than a 308. A 243 pushing 105, 107, or 115 grain bullets does real well, also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Animal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260 if you reload. 308 if you don't.

The 260 will run circles around a 308 for performance.</div></div>

This. Pretty much every outdoor sports or hunting/shooting store will have some kind of match .308. Not so for the .260.

Any reason you're not looking at a 6.5 Creedmoor? It has the same ballistics as a .260, but factory match ammo is supposedly pretty good. If you reload for it, more power to you.

PROS;
-308 is the king as far a barrel life goes
-plenty of factory match ammo
-lots of reloading componants available (brass, bullets)
-broader resale market

PROS;
-flatter trajectory/better BC bullets than 308
-less recoil
-better resale in this market, its currently one of the hot rounds
-slightly cheaper to reload for, its all about raw materials and you are purchasing lighter bullets in 6.5 vs 308

These are just a few things to consider and defenitly doesnt factor in everyting. I have a local "NATO" match I miss every year due to the fact I don't own a 308. I have seen some really good drivers win matches with the 308, but the simple fact is IF you plan to compete you will be at a dissadvantage shooting next to a 6/6.5.

Kirk R

thanks for all your comments and billyburl2 - your signature is crackin me up!

I was in the same boat this summer, but I ended up going with a .308 for practicality (ammo price/availability and barrel life) and for my budget. There are a lot of advantages going with the 260 ( I seen terminal ballistic tests state that @ 1000yards a 260 had 30% more power than a 308, not mention the awesome BC and softer shooting) but it's only as good as the operator even if it is easier to shoot and has better external ballistics. I always think you should evaluate your skill level and your budget before making the decision. You can always shoot out either barrel and make the caliber change when you re-barrel. I can still take some 260 operators to school given my intimacy/experience with the 308. If money isn't an issue then by all means go 260 and you won't be disappointed, but 308 gets the job done too. Good luck with the decision I hope this helps.

Corby over at F&D Defense is planning to have a 260 you can use on his 308 soon and get the best of both worlds. Of course the FD308 is a semi-auto.

I have a GAP Non Typical in 308 and love it, however, I have a GAP Non Typical in 260 on order... I think that having both is the way to go!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a GAP Non Typical in 308 and love it, however, I have a GAP Non Typical in 260 on order... I think that having both is the way to go! </div></div>

I like the way you're thinking bro.....grin!

I wouldn't bother with a .260 over a .308 for 800 yards and under. I've been shooting .308 in the major matches for three or four years now, and never has a caliber difference meant the difference between a hit and a miss for me.

You can get a good custom .308 to shoot .545-.580BC bullets at 2700+ and .508BC bullets at 2900+, which gets very, very close to .260 performance.

The better question is whether a 7-08 would be better than a .308 for your purposes because then you could take advantage of the big step-up in bullet BC.

Graham,

In your experience with 30cal JLKs, has their BC been close to advertised?

Just curious, thanks!

Is this even a question? If you reload then .260 no question. If you don't reload then start.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a GAP Non Typical in 308 and love it, however, I have a GAP Non Typical in 260 on order... I think that having both is the way to go! </div></div>

I like the way you're thinking bro.....grin! </div></div>

Enabler!! Laffin'!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a GAP Non Typical in 308 and love it, however, I have a GAP Non Typical in 260 on order... I think that having both is the way to go! </div></div>

I like the way you're thinking bro.....grin! </div></div>

Enabler!! Laffin'!</div></div>

That's what I'm in the process of doing have the 308 waiting on the 260.
If I had to pick one I'd go 260 and reload.

7-08 would be a nice middle ground like said. Can't go wrong with either. I have 260's but I love my 308's lol I'm old school

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graham,

Just curious, thanks! </div></div>

I can’t comment on other JLK bullets but the .308 180 grain Long Boat-tail VLD is .580g1 or very close to it. I have shot it to 1k using that BC and have always been with in a 1/10 or 2 (mrad) one way or the other with the days conditions.

I have both now and since getting a .260, i leave the .308 at home.
The .260 is just soo much better on so many levels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Graham,

Just curious, thanks! </div></div>I can’t comment on other JLK bullets but the .308 180 grain Long Boat-tail VLD is .580g1 or very close to it. I have shot it to 1k using that BC and have always been with in a 1/10 or 2 (mrad) one way or the other with the days conditions. </div></div>Yup.

.545 for the 175s and .580 for the 180LBTs works perfectly in Exbal and FFS.

After much research, I'm feeling like 6.5 CM is the way to go for me. Between ballistics, available ammo, price, recoil...it seems like the right choice. Thx for input all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC1990</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After much research, I'm feeling like 6.5 CM is the way to go for me. Between ballistics, available ammo, price, recoil...it seems like the right choice. Thx for input all. </div></div>

I went 6.5 CM when I was looking at 6.5mm rounds. I am waiting on a GAP as we speak in 6.5CM. I asked George what he thought given 260, 6.5CM, 6.5x47 Lapua and he had a short answer 6.5CM. Given his knowledge and experience with everything I figured it was best to follow his guidance.

I agree with big joe. I love my 308, but I also am having my trg rebarreled into a 260.

I went with a .260 and even though I don't reload, I love it. I buy ammo from copper creek and southwest ammo. Both of those guys will reload your brass if you want to send it back in with bullets.

I am a big believer that lower recoil = more shooting = better shooter.

Plus, the ballistics are better.

Within 800yards or less, I would agree that 308 is the way to go of you don't reload because of the ample availability of match grade ammo. Pass 800 to 1200 yards, 6.5cm if you don't reload. But now 260rem is getting more good options as well, but usually a little more expensive than Hornady 140amaxs.

My personal calibers of choice for my precision long-range rifles are 308win, 6.5cm and 7mm WSM...which covers all my possible needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC1990</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a hunter, really just target shooting up to 800+yds. Understand more folks are going with .260 now...is that true? Thoughts? Pros/Cons?

Thanks </div></div>

.260 if your reload 6.5 Creedmoor if you don't.

Since buying my .260, my .308 has not been shot much. The .260 is superior from any standpoint, except for the availability of factory match ammo (that is where the 6.5 Creedmoor comes into play).

The .260 shoots flatter, has less wind deflection, has a longer effective range, and has more energy. These are some of the reasons why precision rifle competitors are moving away from the .308.

The 308 can't push a properly sized bullet at a decent speed. I think all necked down 308s are better than the original. The 260 and 7mm08 are both great choices. I put a 7mm08 barrel on my Savage 308. My $26 per box 7mm 162 Amax are going to have a higher BC than any fancy bullet a 308 can use. At least under 200 grains.

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/30cal_fullVersion.pdf