• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition .260 Rem competitive in F Class Open?

Vin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2004
I know the 7mms are the rage right now but would a straight .260 Rem be competitive with all things considered.Thx for the input.

Re: .260 Rem competitive in F Class Open?

Under the right conditions, damn near anything can be competitive.

For mid-range matches (500-600yd) I think a 6.5x47L/6.5CM/.260Rem in a tactical rig should be able to hold its own, assuming the driver knows what he's doing and has an accurate load worked up.

For long range matches... the .260 Rem may be 'competitive' depending on the shooter, but its probably never going to be 'dominant'. There's a fine line between the two - under good conditions it shouldn't be at any real disadvantage. Under bad conditions, it's going to be an uphill battle.

Monte

260 set up as a dedicated F-open rifle can be competitive. You'll want to have lead set up specifically for bullet you plan to launch. Strongly suggest you put boattail / bearing surface junction right at or slightly above neck / shoulder junction.

Run a 28 to 30" barrel and you'll be capable of pushing the 140ish gr match bullets in excess of 2900 fps.

7mm is still going to beat the 260 for wind.

There are a lot of variables involved.
If you're talking about club level competition it's a good choice.
At mid range national level competition it could hold its own. If the wind is blowing national level long range competition will be very difficult with that cartridge.

Monte nailed it. Great round that could benefit from a bit more in the balls department. IMHO, the 6.5-284 has that, and maybe a tad too much of this good thing.

My current project will be/is becoming an offshoot of an inheritance that involves a pair of .280 Rem's.

Much as the .260 provides a more efficient usage of the .308's case capacity, the .280 Rem (a bonafide 7mm) does likewise with the .30-'06's capacity, with the key difference that the .30-'06 ain't quite so 'bashful way out yonder'. IMHO, it's sorta like the .280 is what the 7mm-08 wanted to grow up to be.

The .30-'06 can approximate modest .300WM performance, and the .280 Rem (AKA 7mm Remington Express) takes it just that one step further.

Nothing wrong with starting out by having a more robust parent; but not having to subject oneself to the real full monty ripsnortin' magnum treatment.

Greg

I shoot both a 6 Br and a 260 at midrange (600 yards) and find that both perform well at that range. I must say that I enjoy shooting the 6 BR more, just less recoil, not that the 260 is that bad. I agree that at 600 yards the 260 will do fine and that at 1,000 it can do okay, the problem will be on how you feel about your finishing position as the really top shooters will be likely burning out their barrels with a .284 of some sort and they will have a slight edge with that round.

Yes, the 260 is a fine cartridge and will be competitive in F-Class. If you are talking midrange you can be very competitive, in Long range you will have to work hard to beat the 7mm's in a windy day, but overall you should be fine.

Sherri is an outstanding shooter and has accomplished many great things. But so far, no one has ever won the F-Class national championship using a 260 Rem.

All I gotta say is it's the driver not the rifle, caliber, etc.

no question it is very competitive and wins plenty of matches. But, if you are looking for the ultimate cartridge, I would divide the discussion into "up to 600 yards" and "800-1k yards"

Up to 600 yards, the 6BR or derivative is the "ultimate."
800-1K yards and a 7mm short magnum is the "ultimate."

No it's not and if you shot against some of the shooters I shoot with they would beat you almost every time.We look to see what folks are using because we tried them all.We know what works and some rounds let's just say for argument sake will outshoot others.Tighter groups, rounder groups, better wind drift more forgiving lets say.The 260 is accurate but the 260 ackley is better.The 6.5 x55 is a better choice for all around performance better barrel life etc.The 6br will hold its own but not against 7 short mag of either variation.The 300 short mags also perform very well.The 6.5x284 is very good and tough to beat at 600 a barrel burner though.The 6mm br and 6x47 and the dasher will shoot great I prefer the 115 grain bullet over the 107smk.If I had to choose and money was an issue I would go with the 6.5x55sweede the round will hold it's own at 1000 and 600.It's true depends on the driver and even a 223 can win but miss a wind call or be caught up in a quick change and it's just going to fly outta the x ring.Hope this helps cause the folks I shoot with do their homework matches are really close it comes down to bullets with all things being equal.

Perhaps worth considering is the 6.5 x 55 AI. What do you think about that one?

I wonder if the question is better said 'Am I going to be competitive with the 260 " and that my friend no one can answer .
The Higer the BC the more forgiving the projectile will be with your incorrect wind calls .The bigger the caliber the more kick - I use 7 mill myself and 260 -260 so sweet .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HORNdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I gotta say is it's the driver not the rifle, caliber, etc. </div></div>

This I have to agree with.. seen lots of 6.5-284, 7 Short Mags and other Better calibers built as bench guns, lose to my as it was put 308 "VARNMINT Rifle".. Remember we used to always be squadded with open because of the lack of compeditors in the TR devision.

Read the wind, know the rifle and above all HAVE FUN.. its a shooting match. not a life and death situation...

Oh ya and remember MY caliber is bigger than your caliber!!!!! na, nana, na, na

In response to the comment about Sherri not ever winning an F-Class Championship.....

Oh boy! Soon as she sees that, I'm sure she'll be chasing the record there too! And probably take it! The girl knows how to "dance"!

Michelle has been working on her sister to get out to a match soonest
wink.gif

More power to Sheri if she wins with a .260 Rem!