• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 Rem in an Accurized AR Platform

Vette447

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2009
Oklahoma
I would like to hear from some of you guys that have built accurized AR-10 type rifles in .260 remington. I am thinking about getting on the waiting list for a GAP Accurized AR-10 in .260 Remington. I would like to know what kind of accuracy you have been able to achieve? Is this a good platform in this caliber? Can you load 140 gr bullets effectively with the OAL restictions imposed by the magazine? What barrel length did you go with and what twist rate?

Any info would be appreciated. I have recentely become enamored with this caliber and was thinking of building an accurized AR-10 at the same time. Thus, I was thinking about putting them together and killing two birds with one stone so to speak. Would I be better served waiting and building a bolt gun in .260 Rem instead and just building a regular .308 AR-10 type rifle?

Thanks!

Re: .260 Rem in an Accurized AR Platform

ALL gas guns chew up brass......

savvy the eight twist

if you decide to compete with a gas gun,... know that it takes a lot to drive it well.....

A 260 in an AR is the cats meow! I wouldn't run the 140 VLD's. Instead look at the 140 A-max, 142 SMK, or 139 Scenar. The 140 weight bullets need a 1:8.5" or faster twist. It would be a good option for accurate semi auto fire.

Berger bullets tend to want to be seated on the lands to shoot accurate. Sierra like to be seated off the lands. Getting a consistant "lands" load in a semi is really quite a challenge if not impossible. I think the 260 is an awesome platform.

Had a Factory DPMS 260 that shot the 139 Scenar very well (.5-.6, 5 shot groups at 100). I tried every bullet under the sun, but the 139 Scenar shot the best. The shape of the ogive isn't as pointy/the bullet isn't as long, so you can seat them closer to the lands and still fit them in the magazine.

I have a one of a kind POF 260 with a krieger 24" barrel shoots half minute all day long, but what buttripper said, it does eat the brass up.

Precision Shooting's June 2009 issue covered this exact question actually. They were covering 100y groups with a dime from the 260AR.

I don't have personal experience with it, but if you can get access to the article it might help answer some of your questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Precision Shooting's June 2009 issue covered this exact question actually. They were covering 100y groups with a dime from the 260AR.

I don't have personal experience with it, but if you can get access to the article it might help answer some of your questions.</div></div>

Thanks. I went to their website hoping the featured article for this month was this one but it was a pretty good article about the last Win M70's from New Haven. I will have to try to find the magazine at a local store I guess unless someone can scan it and email it to me (or post it).
smile.gif

I'm running a dpms 20" 1-7.5 wilson barrel in 260.
It has been shooting around 1-1.5 moa with most projectiles.
A kreiger is on my short list and should improve the grouping.
I think that for mag length it favors the 123's from Lapua or Sierra. H4350 with the 123's and velocity has been very good for a short barreled gas gun.
I need about 28 moa above 100 yards to hit at 1000 with the 123's so the ballistics are still WAY ahead of .308 even with all that I sacrificed to go with a short barreled auto.
I wanted long barreled boltgun .308 ballistics in a short barreled auto so that dictated what I got.
However I think that .308 is easier to achieve sub moa accuracy with in the AR10 style rifle.
My gun has been very nice to my brass.
I use velcro over the brass deflector and filed the corners of my barrel extension lugs (ever so slightly) to prevent the lug scratches on the brass.
I'm happy with it but wish for better accuracy.
The new barrel will be the litmus test.

Thanks for the info Rovieairto. I have been thinking about a Krieger barrel also if I end up doing the build myself. I would be interested to see if it makes a significant difference for you. Please keep us posted.