• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 Rem load question

czgunner

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2007
WY
I'm using this Peterson brass, CCI 200 primers, 140 SMK, H4350.
This was a load test of 40-42 grains at .5 grain steps. I'm .015" off the lands and am right around 2.75" OAL. My Savage Shilen barrel has a short throat.
Do these primers show excessive pressure?
I've read that there is an accuracy node between 42 and 43 grains.
Of course my chrono crapped out and I didn't get all my numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_20231010_113344.jpg
    IMG_20231010_113344.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20231010_113348.jpg
    IMG_20231010_113348.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20231010_113351.jpg
    IMG_20231010_113351.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20231010_113353.jpg
    IMG_20231010_113353.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20231010_113356.jpg
    IMG_20231010_113356.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 49
What’s the lowest charge compared to the highest charge look like?

I run a savage 260 with criterion barrel. H4350/Lapua brass/CCI BR2/142 SMK .015” off the lands. Believe it’s 42.5 grains of the H4350 but I’d have to check for sure.

Do you have:

Heavy bolt lift?
Ejector marks?

Primer cratering is common on savage rifles. Just wondering if that’s the only sign you see. The 6.5 savages I’ve played with cratered worse than my 260

What’s the lowest charge compared to the highest charge look like?

I run a savage 260 with criterion barrel. H4350/Lapua brass/CCI BR2/142 SMK .015” off the lands. Believe it’s 42.5 grains of the H4350 but I’d have to check for sure.

Do you have:

Heavy bolt lift?
Ejector marks?

Primer cratering is common on savage rifles. Just wondering if that’s the only sign you see. The 6.5 savages I’ve played with cratered worse than my 260
All the primers look the same. No heavy bolt lift at all. I don't see ejector marks. I haven't shot this rifle in many years, and can't say I remember those craters, but if that's common, I'll proceed carefully. Thank you.

All the primers look the same. No heavy bolt lift at all. I don't see ejector marks. I haven't shot this rifle in many years, and can't say I remember those craters, but if that's common, I'll proceed carefully. Thank you.
We sent my buddies bolt to LRI and had it bushed. Even below hornady starting loads it cratered bad. After bushing we proceeded with load testing and came across other signs of pressure like heavy lift, flattened primer, ejector swipes etc but not until nearing max suggested loads. The cratering went away completely

Reactions: ACard and czgunner
We sent my buddies bolt to LRI and had it bushed. Even below hornady starting loads it cratered bad. After bushing we proceeded with load testing and came across other signs of pressure like heavy lift, flattened primer, ejector swipes etc but not until nearing max suggested loads. The cratering went away completely
Thank you, I'll look into that.

I don't worry about cratering too much unless it's shaving metal into the firing pin hole.

What I was more concerned about when looking at the pictures is the picture on the far right and the row of fired cases at the top of the picture. Some of those primers look very flat.

I don't worry about cratering too much unless it's shaving metal into the firing pin hole.

What I was more concerned about when looking at the pictures is the picture on the far right and the row of fired cases at the top of the picture. Some of those primers look very flat.
Interesting. Those were my starting loads. I'm currently about 15 thou off the lands. Would seating them further out help?

First of all, your premise for using 42 gr is wrong. When you read that there “is an accuracy load between 42 and 43”, that is for some people in their rifles. It’s a poor way to start load work up and is likely overpressure for your rifle and barrel.

I have a great accuracy node in my rifle at 40.8 gr of 4350. When I go to the next “accuracy node” it’s starts to show beginning signs of pressure, like yours is.

There is zero reason to look for you accuracy at max pressures and velocities and many good reasons to look for a lower node that gives you accuracy without stressing your brass and shortening your barrel life.

Sure, get your firing pin bushed. It can help, but that doesn’t change what I just said.

Reactions: czgunner
First of all, your premise for using 42 gr is wrong. When you read that there “is an accuracy load between 42 and 43”, that is for some people in their rifles. It’s a poor way to start load work up and is likely overpressure for your rifle and barrel.

I have a great accuracy node in my rifle at 40.8 gr of 4350. When I go to the next “accuracy node” it’s starts to show beginning signs of pressure, like yours is.

There is zero reason to look for you accuracy at max pressures and velocities and many good reasons to look for a lower node that gives you accuracy without stressing your brass and shortening your barrel life.

Sure, get your firing pin bushed. It can help, but that doesn’t change what I just said.
Thanks for the input.

Reactions: lash
I had very good results with 41.5 grains and the same everything except bullets. I shot mostly 140 ELD-M's. I would bet bushing the bolt face will fix the issues you are seeing.

Reactions: czgunner