• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 260 Rem Loads for deer

sst04

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2010
Milledgeville Ga
In my other Thread a couple of days ago I was looking for a new rifle for my wife.
Picked up a Stainless Ruger Hawkeye Laminate Compact in 260rem today,Because it was a damn good price and the gun fit her well.

The gun has a Barrel Lenght of 16.5 inches.

Before I purchase bullets, just wondering If anyone else uses this round and what bullet do you load for it.

Re: 260 Rem Loads for deer

140 or 123 AMAX and you are good to go. I shot one last year with a 139 scenar and it destroyed its heart and and it ran about 30 yards.

Everything I have shot with an amax has been drt. It literally is boom, flop and then no movement at all. I hunt on the property line so its nice not to have to worry about tracking onto the neighbor's property.

Got the same rifle:

I am shooting the Remington 120gr AccuTip factory loads and have had ZERO problems with shots out to 200 yds. But, I usually take neck shots...

120gr Nosler BT
41.5gr H380

Very mild load, low recoil, very good accuracy, excellent expansion and quite deadly on whitetail.

I shoot this through my 22" 700 Mountain LSS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">140 or 123 AMAX and you are good to go. I shot one last year with a 139 scenar and it destroyed its heart and and it ran about 30 yards.

Everything I have shot with an amax has been drt. It literally is boom, flop and then no movement at all. I hunt on the property line so its nice not to have to worry about tracking onto the neighbor's property.</div></div>

Oh so you're one of those guys that sit on the property line and shoot into my woods!!! LOL J/K bro

alandpat020.jpg

My pal borrowed my GAP Crusader .260 to kill this heavy bodied mule deer buck last fall. 139gr scenar did the trick at 340 meters...one shot.

I am having a 260 hunting rifle built. I have already bought Sierra 123 SMK's to play with and Barnes 120gr TTSX bullets to hunt with. Am going to pick up some 123 A-max's also.

I've got some 140gr 6.5 Sierra Gamekings and I'm curious if they'll stabilize well in my 22" 9 twist barrel...but if they don't the 120 NBT is flat deadly.

I'd try the 123 A-Max, but I'm hesitant to use it <100yd with anything other than a head/neck shot in the interest of avoiding meat damage.

i have also used the 123 grain amaxs and 123 grain sierra smks with 36.5 grains of varget and loaded to 2.810" col with nosler brass, WLR primers. works damn good and shoots even better. this is out of a remington vls. 123 smks have made a bigger mess than what the amax has. these loads shoot right around an honest .5" groups at 100 yards.

I don't know the twist rate of your Ruger, but I have a 22" barreled Savage 16 in 260 with a 1-in-8" twist. I used the 140 grain Berger Hunting VLD to take two little pigs with one shot at 65 yards. Shot entered first pig's neck, blew huge chunks of vertebrae out the other side and still had enough left to enter the second one's head at the ear and kill her on the spot with no exit. Also took a 200 lb Corsican ram at 250 yards with it this year. Entered behind the shoulder, turned the entire chest cavity into red Jello, and exited opposite shoulder with a golfball sized hole. I load them in Remington brass with CCI primers and 42.7 grains of Hodgdon H4350. This gives me 2710 FPS. The Bergers have been super accurate for me and give plenty of penetration and expansion.

Thanks guys for the replys,

One more question, Is there that much of a difference in recoil from a 120g to a 140g. Would like to keep the recoil as light as possible and still use at least a 120g bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">120gr Nosler BT
41.5gr H380

Very mild load, low recoil, very good accuracy, excellent expansion and quite deadly on whitetail.

I shoot this through my 22" 700 Mountain LSS. </div></div>

Ran this load over the chronograph today through the LSS with its 22" barrel, and it was quite consistent at 2677fps, with very good accuracy @ 100yd.

I've had good luck with 120gr Speers, 130gr Accubonds and 130gr Bergers. In my Son's new Ruger compact I think we will give some 120gr A-max a try. All loads were with H4350.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
alandpat020.jpg

My pal borrowed my GAP Crusader .260 to kill this heavy bodied mule deer buck last fall. 139gr scenar did the trick at 340 meters...one shot. </div></div>

That is an impostor!! I bet under that deer hyde there is a COW.

I'm a big fan of the 120 Barnes TSX in my 6.5x55.
I think they make a 100 grainer now that would do well in short barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
alandpat020.jpg

My pal borrowed my GAP Crusader .260 to kill this heavy bodied mule deer buck last fall. 139gr scenar did the trick at 340 meters...one shot. </div></div>

Damn PGS u guys get some great mulies!!!

Anyone using T-TSX's in their .260? I've got a box of 120's here waiting for a load that I'd love to try on some pigs.

I like 125 gr. Nosler partions out of my 6.5x55 AI with rl-17 at about 3130fps. Has worked well on antalope and whitetail. Going to start loading them in my 260 and see what happens for this year.

Good luck, Javy.