• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 Rem Neck Tension

4Rail_Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2006
Stephenville, Texas
How much neck tension are you guys running on a 260 Rem.

Using Rem Brass, outside loaded Diameter shows around .291"

Would a .288 Bushing be to much neck tension?

Will be loading from a AICS Mag.
Thanks

Re: 260 Rem Neck Tension

.288 should be GTG. I'm running a .288 with winchester brass for about .002 of NT. Shoots great.

I just worked up some loads using both 308 and 7-08 WINCHESTER brass and found that using the .291 bushing gave me .003-.004 bullet tension....again...this was Winchester brass.
FWIW...YMMV
Wes in AZ

If your seater generates shaving from the bullet, one of two things is happening. Either the neck diameter is too tight (or chamfering is needed), or the necks have hardened to where the neck sizing process is being compromised.

The problem is springback and it works in opposite ways with bushings and sizer balls. If there's a bushing involved, the neck tension becomes reduced, and if there's a sizer ball, it becomes increased.

My .260 rounds are handfed singly, and need no accomodation for feeding in the neck tension determination. My expereince is that the best neck tension is minimal neck tension.

If I can move the bullet in the neck with a reasonable two-finger grip, I need to increase neck tension until I can't.

It's purely a practical issue, and if I could feel comfortable with less tension, that's what I'd use; but I don't like the idea of seating depths changing on their own while I'm manipulating ammo at a match.

It's not good for accuracy, and I suspect there's a safety issue involved as well.

Greg

Sometimes using a VLD chamfering tool with keep the brass from shaving the bullet.This will help your seating of the bullet consistency. Also neck tenison is usually about .02 thousandths. This is what RCBS recomends for their dies.

I'm actually considering belling the case mouth <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> slightly, as is a standard pistol handloading practice.

My 260 loaded rds. with Rem brass also measure .291. I have a custom Forester die with a .289 neck and a redding bushing neck die with a .288 bushing. The .288 neck bushing is set to size 3/4 of the neck and shoots 1/2 moa at 600 vs. 1 moa for the .289 die. .288 is not too much. The stock forester die I think comes out about .285 without the neck expander ball and this did not shoot bad.