• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260 Rem with H1000 (gas gun)

nuclear_shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2013
I've got a 260 build thats almost done, so I'm starting to collect components for reloading and of course Varget and H4350 are nowhere to be found. But what there is an abundance of (and I already have for my 300 win mag) is H1000. I know this is not the ideal powder for this caliber, but I'd like to start shooting it as soon as I get it put together.

According to Quickload, with a 140 amax at mag length (again, rather be shooting 123 amax/scenars but they're hard to come by), I hit max pressure at around 48 gr of H1000 producing just over 2700 fps, but that's 114% of case capacity. As I understand it (not an expert by any means), that is quite a compressed load (case capacity is something around 42 gr, producing a miserable 2300 fps).

Has anybody used this powder for this caliber? Since the gun is a semiauto, I will be suck loading to mag length (2.820"). Would you guys consider this to be pushing the limits of what is safe? As I understand it, using a long drop tube should allow me to get the powder in the case. Thanks for your input!

Personally I don't think you're going to get anywhere close to the standard 2800 fps that most achieve with the 260. I have a buddy that ran a compressed load of H1000 in his 260AI and with a 140 it was still very slow. I would just stay on the lookout for H 4350/Varget instead of wasting bullets running it slow...

It is going to be slow. You just cannot get enough powder to get meaningful velocity. Additionally I would be concerned about port pressure.

You could also look for some H4831SC

Since you are running a gas rifle you need to worry about cycling the action and I suspect H1000 will not build sufficient pressure.

Last edited:
Bigtime slow.

For reference:

6xc, 105gr hpbt, 39.5gr H4350 - 3125fps

Same gun as above with a case crammed full of H1000 (42.5gr) - 2725fps

6mm SLR, 105 hybrid, 42.5gr H4350 - 3175fps
....with a case crammed full of H1000 (48.5gr) - 2980fps

Both H1000 loads above shoot pretty accurately, but are obviously way off the mark in terms of speed.

Also, I think it'd be a good idea to pay close attention to your gas port pressure when running such a slow burning powder as H1000.

I'm with Gray, gas guns have their own set of issues. I'd say H1000 to be too slow, and compressed loads in a gas gun, tough to maintain seating depth without a crimp.
Look at Norma 204, it's available everywhere, 8lbr's at Powder Valley. It's a slower powder but should work, even in a gasser. Not sure if you've been aware, but a big shipment of powder from ADI, Australia, is sweeping the nation, Hodgdon Extreme's.

I had descent luck with rl-25 in my .260 with 140 amax. It was crunching but it was very accurate and good es/sd for an rl powder. A lighter bullet I might try a h414 too?

You guys raised a good point about the gas system I didn't even think about. I did a bit of quick research on Norma 204 and it looks like it would work as a substitute, producing bad but usable velocities, but I think for now I'll just wait for Varget/H4350.

Incidentally, how do Norma powders do with temp sensitivity?

Last edited:
I would think RL-15 & 22 (might work well) would be options as well as IMR 4350. I use alot of H4350 too and I can find any but IMR 4350 is in my area in droves. In a pich you could use that as well...

I would think RL-15 & 22 (might work well) would be options as well as IMR 4350. I use alot of H4350 too and I can find any but IMR 4350 is in my area in droves. In a pich you could use that as well...

Unfortunately, those aren't much easier to find. Sometimes IMR 4350 is in stock, in which case I may buy a bottle.

Incidentally, how do Norma powders do with temp sensitivity?

Norma MRP2 was simply the best powder I've ever shot, discontinued. They're all clean burning, I like them, not the price.
As for temp sensitivity, it's never bothered me, if it's cold and you need 1/2 moa up across the board, WFC's? As long as you're not going to blow your rifle apart when hot, adjust. Norma 203B is the only Norma I shoot today, in a 6mm BR, I built for a 7 year old, and we surely haven't shot this winter so I can't answer temps there, fine all summer.

I'm seeing RL 15&22 recommended, I'd look toward RL17, a powder that is recommended for 6.5 Creedmore, your case is almost identical except for shoulder angle, and I've picked up over 20 lbs in the last 2 months. I burn it in a 6.5x47, works as good as VV N550.

Last edited:
Norma MRP2 was simply the best powder I've ever shot, discontinued. They're all clean burning, I like them, not the price.
As for temp sensitivity, it's never bothered me, if it's cold and you need 1/2 moa up across the board, WFC's? As long as you're not going to blow your rifle apart when hot, adjust. Norma 203B is the only Norma I shoot today, in a 6mm BR, I built for a 7 year old, and we surely haven't shot this winter so I can't answer temps there, fine all summer.

I'm seeing RL 15&22 recommended, I'd look toward RL17, a powder that is recommended for 6.5 Creedmore, your case is almost identical except for shoulder angle, and I've picked up over 20 lbs in the last 2 months. I burn it in a 6.5x47, works as good as VV N550.

Thanks for the advice (to everybody). I decided to grab a few 1# bottles for RL-17 from my LGS. It gets some pretty mixed reviews (some love it, some say its shot terrible and shot out their barrel in 800 rounds). If I don't love the results I'll try the Norma.