• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 Remington Barrel Length

NRAShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I have a 260 Remington GAP Surgeon with a 27 inch barrel in a AICS 2.0. Barrel is a No. 7 Bartlein fluted cerrakoted barrel. Rifle is a laser with incredible velocity , but is too darn cumbersome.

So, I am looking at cutting the barrel back to something more practical. Barrel only has 1000 rounds through it so I am expecting a little more barrel life.

Looking at 22,23,or 24 inch barrel with Surefire brake. Current muzzle device is the B/O clamp on FTE. Looking to change the look and handling characteristics. Already notified Dr.'s at GAP that the patient is coming back for more cosmetic surgery.

If that doesn't work, stock is next, but want to try barrel length first. Caliber selection is wonderful. Next tube will probably be another 260.

Any comments welcome. If I was rich, I would just put a new barrel on but this one shoots so good I would still hate myself.

Re: 260 Remington Barrel Length

I'm getting where I want a lighter rifle the older I get. Go with a lighter taper, it doesn't bother the TRGs.

Depends on what you are doing with the rifle (tac matches, Eff-class, bench, hunt, etc)?? Personally if it shoots great I wouldn't mess with a thing... paint it maybe.

For those 142's I wouldn't go lower than 24". But surely some other short barrel fans will jump in any minute...

edit: really, unless you hack off 5-6" of the barrel I doubt you are going to notice a HUGE weight difference (and then you might as well shoot 308
smile.gif
). Re-think going to a lighter stock perhaps. Might be able to shed a pound or two without changing ballistic capabilities.

Mine is 27 also. I'm getting 2860 with the 140 Amax. However I'm having the same issue you are. It's in the shop being shortened to 24. I'll let you what happens when I get it back.

Ive got a 24" Broughton 1-8 twist.the throat was cut long to fit more capacity in the case.Im at 2850fps with 45 gns h4350, and 2950fps with 44.8 gns oreloader17.I seat at 2.935" with the 142smks and fit easly in my AI AW 308 magazine. I will be putting together another 260 rem rifle with an 18.5" barrel and it will be a lighter more compact rig than my heavy ass AI AW.I expect at to reach atleast 2650 fps.

Mine clocks 2880 with the 142 gr SMK. The rifle is a range warrior but too heavy and cumbersome to be an effective tac match rifle. I have used it as a 600 yard mid range f class rifle with no break with good results, but found the barrel needs cleaning after 30 to 40 rounds to hold the x. Will try foaming foul out this season as an experiment.

Looking at a 23 or 24 inch barrel, and if I have to change stocks, the H&S PST 25 with B/O M5 bottom metal. I have a H&S HTR which I've shot extensively for the last few years and I regret to say, its the stock which I am most comfortable with.
I've tried the McMillan A5 and now the AICS 2.0 and can't seem to find them as comfortable. I am experimenting with a R5 and RTM tube chassis in 6 br and 300 mag respectively and find them extremely comfortable, but still not like the PST 025.

Enuf said. What barrel length should I go with? What about a 23 vs 24 inch barrel?

I run a 24" Bartlein and 139 scenars at 2835. When I need to rework the load I am hoping to find something that shoots a little lower, around 2775-2800. When this barrel is gone I am going to have it set back to 22" and will rock it until it dies. If I was in your shoes I would burn it up and then have it set back. How many rounds do you have down the tube? Since the barrels only last 2500 rounds give or take, you might not be that far away.

I've got on order a Kreiger #5 1/2, 22", with 6 deep flutes. Will be .700" at 22". This is gonna be my new 260 bbl. I love my 308, but a 24" MTU bbl in a AIC 1.0 is a hog to tote around. Shopping for a stock for my new build and it sure won't be as heavy as the chassis.

I have two being made. One is aTac Ops .260 with a 22" bbl. Mike said it should be done at the end of January. The second one is for my wife. This is a SAC and is a Krieger #18 that will be 22". Right now I am pushing 140s through 6.5x55 with a 24" bbl at 2720 fps. I think I will be able to push the 123s about 2800 and the 140s about 2700. So I say go for 22" bbl.

Jamie

Does the Surefire break effect accuracy or velocity? How about OAL, as the B/O FTE adds about 1.5 inches. Have to admit, very effective, but FUGLY. Not complaining though.

I prefer shorter barrels, I run a 20" tube on my 308 and love it. That being said I am going to have to agree with Swan on the 24" tube for the 260, I have done alot of reading on optimum barrel length because I would like to build a 260 and I consistently hear 24" is the shortest that people have had good results with. If I had a lathe I would start with a 28" tube and cut it off in 1/2" increments and chrono each length all the way down to 16" to get a more quantitative idea of how barrel length affects MV. I still don't understand how you can get complete powder burn and good MV's out of a 308 from a 20" tube but the same case necked down to 6.5mm is a whole different story but according to those with much more experience that is the case.

You have a larger bore with more volume to produce more gas in a 308 of the same barrel length. A larger volume of gas at lower pressures has been proven in pre-charged air rifles to increase velocity. This is why you have the lowest barrel pressures and highest gas volume when the bullet is near the end of the barrel and the bullet is going the fastest. Longer barrels allow for the laws of physics to work.