• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 Remington brass

desertHK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
AZ
How many shooters here use 260 Remington brass, as opposed to Lapua/Win brass neck up or down for their 260 caliber?

Also, if use Remington brass, typically how many reloads can you get out of your Remy brass? I heard people said that the primer pocket gets loose after 4-5 reloads. Is that true? Thanks for your help

Re: 260 Remington brass

I shoot Remington brass in my AR-10 for across the course. It shoots very accurately I must say. However I was loading "I think" 38.5gr of N150 with a 123gr SMK. I think I got about 3 loads out of my brass. When I tried working the loads up with N150 and 142's they opened up right away. Needless to say I used the Rem brass for the 123's, Necked up Win .243 for the 142's. As the Remington brass wears out I'm using necked down RA-60 brass and it shoots just as nice and lasts alot longer.

I've just started with R-P brass, haven't disposed of the first batch yet. Lots of flash holes were grossly off center and with moderate pressure loads there was light smoke around the primer/pocket edge. This has me concerned with the primer pockets shape and durability. I did just get some Norma 260 in yesterday, very nice, very uniform

many here have run with remmy .260 brass for years.....if the primer fits snug enough.....they get used till the necks split and let daylight shine through.....

to me it just made more sense to neck down win 7mm-08. it takes the same amout of time because you should run your 260. remington brass through a full length sizer before loading anyways, so why not use better quality brass to start?

I only use Rem brass for 260, and have many reloads on my cases. How many is many, at least 4 or 5, maybe more. I stopped counting once my cases got mixed up together. The primer pockets do get a little more loose than when new, but I push my 260 pretty hard. So, it's expected. I will say there are a few virgin cases that may need to be tossed that might have a defect from manufacturing. I buy them by the 1000's, so a few cases here and there is not too bad.
Also, the Win 7-08 brass necked down has seen donut problems after several reloads. IMO, the Rem brass is a fine way to go, and Rem brass well preped will shoot very good. (Good enough for a 1 3/8" group at 600 yards out of my rifle)

I agree, the Rem brass is fine. It shoots great right out of the box as long as nothing is bent or out of shape too much. It is <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> necessary to run them through the FL die when they are new, at all. They will shoot great as long as you have a good load for them. I run the same load with new and 2x fired and it shoots outstanding either way.

The best part is the price, cheap. If I lose a piece or two at a match I'm not crawling around on the ground, crying, desperately searching for my Lapua brass.

I have about 450 pieces and I figure if I get 4-5 reloads out of it, great! My barrel will probably be toast by then anyway.

Shoot more, brass prep less.

Anybody know where there is 260 rem. brass in stock?

Midsouth still has 1000 ct boxes. Midway has 20 count boxes left. Pick your poison....

I have used nothing but remington brass in my 260

As Chad said you have to toss some but with a little work it can be super accurate

i took the trouble to debur flash holes, size, trim and turned the necks on mine, i found the necks to be very inconsistnet and not uniform in my batch of 400

i have been rewarded with excellent accuarcy including a nice little 2 1/4 inch group at 850yds

It is cheap and when the primer pockets or necks give way i will replace them

If i was loading straight out of the box i would probably spend the money and buy norma or nosler but with a little tlc r/p will shoot just fine

Use Norma and Nosler. I haven't had to Chunk any Norma brass yet. No cullng needed as the issues with Remington .260 brass don't exist with Norma. Yeah they are more expensive, but piece of mind and ease of reloaded are worth it to me. Remington brass is an avg. of $.42-.45 each and Norma pretty much a cool $1 each. Normas will last twice as long and no headaches. Right there it's worth it to me. The only way I would use the cheaper Rem. stuff is if I knew I would loose a bunch of it in the field running competitions and what not. I run the Normas hard and have 7x firings with tight primer pockets remaining on this batch. If they crap out at 10X its still better than Rem. ... in my book. I expect these to go much further than that...prob. 14-16x. But time will tell.

FYI guys... I spoke to a Lapua rep. the other day and without letting the cat out of the bag, he told me that there may very well be an introduction of Lapua .260Rem. brass at SHOT this year!!!! Maybe then will I dump the Norma.

I'm on my 5th load of rem brass. I'm not pushing them to hard around 2930 with 123's and have yet to have 1 primer pocket loose or any other issue. I do FL all out of the box as well after each firing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TangoDown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
FYI guys... I spoke to a Lapua rep. the other day and without letting the cat out of the bag, he told me that there may very well be an introduction of Lapua .260Rem. brass at SHOT this year!!!! Maybe then will I dump the Norma. </div></div>

So much for the 6.5x47L shooters. Now they'll have no reason to not shoot .260!

I'll believe it when I see it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TangoDown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI guys... I spoke to a Lapua rep. the other day and without letting the cat out of the bag, he told me that there may very well be an introduction of Lapua .260Rem. brass at SHOT this year!!!! Maybe then will I dump the Norma. </div></div>Maybe then I will dump my 6.5x47 barrel...

I have used R-P 260 brass to good effect. Weight sorted and prepped, they're as good as any. When primer pockets start getting loose, switch to CCI primers, they tend to run a little larger, or seem to, and extend your usable brass life.

Sure, Lapua and Norma are probably "better", but in real-world practical field shooting, I doubt that the typical shooter will be able to see a tangible improvement that justifies the price.

Distance, wind direction, wind speed and mirage are the great equalizers.

Paul