• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 Remington in Bolt guns.

Rcd567

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2009
Iowa
Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Sako model 85 in 260 Remington. Yeah, I know, it's not ubber tacticool, but it's a starting point. I got a good deal on it and it has a hair under 23" of barrel in 1/8 twist.

I found a couple boxes of ammo online and got the glass close. Wanted to start reloading for it so I started tonight. One of the boxes of ammo I bought was of Corbon 123gr. Scenars. Sooo, I measured the round. COL was 2.90! Huh? The reloading manuals say COL 2.8. The 2.90 easily fits in the magazine and chambers in the rifle. I'm actually loading the Laupa 139 in Moly since that is all I could find.

My question is this. I know when you soft load, your going over the COL recommendations...this is safe right? I'm working up my loads from a medium starting point using 4850.

Edit to add...Does anyone use Ramshot Hunter powder? How about Nosler brass?

Re: 260 Remington in Bolt guns.

I handload for 19 Badger .222, .223, 22-250 .243, 25acp, 6mmBR,.243Win, 25/35, .250/3000, 257 Roberts AI, 260Rem, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57mm, 7mm Rem mag, 32acp, 32sw, 32S&WLong, 32-20, 30 Mauser, 7.62x25mm, 30-30, 303Sav, 300Sav,.308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 7.5 Swiss,7.62x39mm, 303Brit, 7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 338WM, .380, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 357Sig,38special, 357 mag, 38sw, 40sw, 10mm, 10.4mm, 44 mag, 45acp, 45Super, 460 Rowland, 45acpRifle 45Colt, .410, 45/70, and 12 ga.

I don't have much time for 260 Rem, but I did chamber one two months ago and take it to the range twice.
It seems to shoot the lighter 100 gr bullets best.

If it shot some 1/2" groups, I would throw away the old military stock and glass bed the rifle.

From my Range report 2009- 06-07:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VZ24 action
260 Rem, 22" Douglas long chambered barrel
VZ24 stock with barrel channel milled out but no epoxy
Weaver #45 and #46 two piece steel scope mounts with Devcon Steel putty
under the mounts and Loctite 242 on the threads. Burris Low tactical
rings with 6 screws on the cap and a bolt on the Weaver rail.
IOR 2.5x10x42 scope with MP-8 1/2 mili rad reticule in first focal plane
and moa turrets. Rubber tube extensions on both ends of the scope. Scope
center is 1.9" above bore center.
100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip moly coated # 26100 bullet moly coated ,
45.0 gr canister IMR4895,
2.940" over all length, almost no insertion of the bullet into the neck,
due to the short bullet and long throat.
Quickload prediction 61,328 psi 3261 fps
chronographs as 3,236 fps

0.99" 3 shot group at 100 yards, still perfectly sighted in on third
trip to the range. </div></div>

I got a used 260ai a few weeks ago and the load data it came with says 36.5gr varget or the load I tried which was 47gr 4831sc both with the 139g scenar. I shot 50rds of the 4831 load this past weekend at both 1000 and 1200 yards and it performed fantastically, but just like with everything else work up to that because it is over book slightly.

good luck oh and my old 260 like around 43gr of h4350

These preceding loads square very neatly with my experience using 142SMK's, and my partner says the 140A-Max likes precisely the same loads as the 142SMK in his gun which has one of an identical pair of 28" barrels, the other of which is on my rifle.

I have used Ramshot Hunter and it's about ideal for the 140's, but for me, H4350 is much more available, and does an equally ideal job.

COAL is dependent on the throat specs of your particular rifle. All I'll say is that ogives vary within manufacturing lots, and any spec needs to be either well into, or well out of the rifling, I use a 'fudge factor' of about .010".

When I develop a load, the first thing I do with a new bullet/powder combo is pressure testing.

I start at the published max, and make up 5 rounds of each 1/2gr increment at that charge and progressively downward, usually 4 increments. Then, I use one of each increment as sighters, starting with the lowest charge. I'm just interested in getting the POI within an inch or so of the POA, and I carefully examine each fired casing for pressure signs before proceding onward to fire the next one.

Those increments which show acceptable pressure signs are set up for accuracy testing. The others are immediately disassembled with an impact puller.

I design and print my own 100yd ladder test targets which consist of rows of 1/2" yellow dots with heavy black borders, 4 to a row. Each increment's rounds are fired one to a dot in its own row. To me, accuracy isn't about groups, it's about the relationship between each shot's POI and POA. These targets are desigend to show that relationship on an individual basis. They also allow the isolation of called flyers and wind switches, etc., more easily in my accompanying notes, which are written on an identical target held back at the bench.

Greg

Thanks guys. The only reason for the Ramshot hunter is it flows better than stick powder.

Clark,
How do you find time to shoot all those calibers?

BTW, I think Nosler is sorta like Norma brass. OK, but overpriced. I use Winchester .243/7-08 necked appropriately.

In terms of OAL/COL,
For optimal accuracy with some bullets you will want the bullet right at, or just touching, the rifling. In those instances the OAL/COL will be longer the Factory COL Specs. If you really want to optimize your ammo, you should vary your COL to see what provides the best accuracy. I use the Hornady OAL Tool:
LNL OAL STRAIGHT GAUGE
WORD OF CAUTION - you can go to long with COL, if you go to long, when you chamber the round it will contact the barrel/lands and get "jammed" back into the case. This can cause a pressure spike when fired. Likewise you can seat a bullet to deep in the case, and that can also cause a pressure spike when fired. You can go to short, or to long, so if you are not sure how to work with OAL/COL, please stick to Factory Specs!

BTHP, SCENAR, AMAX, VLD, can all have a different "sweet spot" in terms of AOL/COL.

Of course you have to watch, if you go out to far with your OAL you may not be able to get your rounds into the mag.

When you are chasing the ultimate level of accuracy, the Devil Is In the Details, and bullet seating depth / OAL, can be a big factor.

In terms of Powder,
A lot people are having good luck with the Alliant Reloader 17 when it comes to the .260 rounds.

Sorry but I can't comment on the other powders.

I am in the process of building my .260 at the moment, so I will have to wait to see what I come up with for loads.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These preceding loads square very neatly with my experience using 142SMK's, and my partner says the 140A-Max likes precisely the same loads as the 142SMK in his gun which has one of an identical pair of 28" barrels, the other of which is on my rifle.

I have used Ramshot Hunter and it's about ideal for the 140's, but for me, H4350 is much more available, and does an equally ideal job.

COAL is dependent on the throat specs of your particular rifle. All I'll say is that ogives vary within manufacturing lots, and any spec needs to be either well into, or well out of the rifling, I use a 'fudge factor' of about .010".

When I develop a load, the first thing I do with a new bullet/powder combo is pressure testing.

I start at the published max, and make up 5 rounds of each 1/2gr increment at that charge and progressively downward, usually 4 increments. Then, I use one of each increment as sighters, starting with the lowest charge. I'm just interested in getting the POI within an inch or so of the POA, and I carefully examine each fired casing for pressure signs before proceding onward to fire the next one.

Those increments which show acceptable pressure signs are set up for accuracy testing. The others are immediately disassembled with an impact puller.

I design and print my own 100yd ladder test targets which consist of rows of 1/2" yellow dots with heavy black borders, 4 to a row. Each increment's rounds are fired one to a dot in its own row. To me, accuracy isn't about groups, it's about the relationship between each shot's POI and POA. These targets are desigend to show that relationship on an individual basis. They also allow the isolation of called flyers and wind switches, etc., more easily in my accompanying notes, which are written on an identical target held back at the bench.

Greg</div></div>

Well my findings so far reflect what you're saying as far as shooting well at the ends of the spectrum in seating depth. My two better loads with 142 SMK's are at the lands and around 0.080 off/ 2.800". I'm going to work more with the 2.800 length as I want a mag friendly load.

.260 seems a lot more touchy than my .308 or my .22-250 loads.

Have you tried the 140 SMK's?

They are shorter but still have a BC of .535 vs .595 of the 142.

This should let you get closer to the lands without going over length on your Cartridge.
I shot 140s in my old barrel with good results.
I think i have some left if you need one to measure with before you buy a box.

I tried them when I first got the 24" 1:8" Savage. The were left over from some 6.5x55 load development I had done previously. Not much recollection of the results (2001, 2002?), but if they'd been awful, I think it'd have stuck in the mind. I think they'd be a good choice for mag fed rifles.

Greg

I thought I was going to try the 140 SMK. I bought a box and got home and saw that I picked up a box of SGK 140's. Do'h!

I tried some lapau 123's and they're running a 1/2 inch for me on the first loads I tried. Just some pressure ranging loads, 43, 43.5, and 44gr H4350 loaded to 2.830ish. Accurate and mellow as can be. I just might stick with them instead of the 139's.

Next thing is to go with some Lapua .243 brass as after about 4 loads I have a couple loose pockets in the RP brass. I never went over or even to max with these either with the 142 SMK.

If you can get around 3000 fps out of them you'll be good out to 1000 yards with out any trouble breaking into the subsonic range.

Question to you guys forming your own brass. Is it better to form up from say 243 or to form down from say 7mm-08?

Can I do that with my normal FL dies? Or do I need to use something special? My Reminton brass is getting loose primer pockets on the second loading.

Edit to say I have some Nosler brass I'm going to load up and try too.

I like to neck up the 243 brass. I use the redding FL die with a tappered sizing button and a little siving wax. They having been coming out strait and no problems with the dredded donuts.

I was running the 123gr Scenar with N550 in RP260 brass right around 3000fps for a couple of years.

Lately I've been moving to the 139gr Scenar with H4350 and necking-down Winchester 7mm08 brass right around 2800fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4Rail_Gunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with Lapua 243 Brass on my old barrel.
Used a sinclair Expander Mandrel then ran through a sizing die.
</div></div>

Have you tried the Redding tapered 6.5mm button in a neck-sizing die?

I've used it for ~100pcs of Lapua 243 brass, but I wasn't particularly happy with it.

Just running Winchester 7mm08 brass through a 260 Remington sizing-die seems like less hassle and less stress on the brass. Especially with the Redding carbide size button kit.