• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 Remington Powder Recommendations

408s10

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2014
Well just dropped off my down payment for my first custom rifle build. The rifle is being built by Mark Gordon at short action customs in Wellington Ohio. It is going to have 26" Bartlien Barrel. And jewell trigger, sitting in a Mcree stock. I plan on using Berger 140grain hybrids and lapua brass. On the way back today I picked up some IMR 4350 from cabelas. Should I run this powder or should I try some R17? I have good things with both powders. Just trying to stock up before I get the rifle. Thanks for reading!

You'll be fine with IMR 4350, although H4350 might have some mild temperature benefits. I've been using 42.0 grains of H4350 for my 140's in a 26" barrel, but that only got me to 2700. I've developed up to 43.2 grains now, and get around 2820 FPS.

Another option is H4831SC.

IMR4350, H4350, or H4831sc will work well with 140 gr bullets.

I didn't care for RL-17, prefer single base powders in general over double base powders.

What chamber, more specifically the freebore dimension, is on the reamer that SAC is using to chamber your barrel?

I am not sure on the reamer deminsions I will have to ask mark. I originally was going to build a Creed but I decided on the 260 due to the availability of lapua brass. I hope I like my decision.

I'm running 40.9 gr r17 with a 130 vld in my ai for fire form loads. Took it out to a 1000 this weekend with good resulsts. Under .5 moa at 100 for a thrown together load. I have had some under .25 moa. Most people say its too temperature sensitive, I can't way in on that as I haven't had gun long enough to see much varience.

I pretty sure SAC is running a PTG Tac Match with 0.088" of freebore.

What action did you go with?

I went with their alpha action. It is basically a defiance deviant action that has been further refined for their specs.

Pretty sure the Alpha action has AW cut, you'll like that feature.

If SAC is running a PTG Tac Match reamer with 0.298" diameter neck (for Lapua brass) and 0.088" freebore you'll be about 2.910" OAL for VLD to touch lands. I prefer to jump the VLDs about 0.040" to start and adjust IF needed.
If you want to put the VLDs at or very near the lands, you'll want to get Accurate magazine 300WSM magazines and adjust feed lips. Other option is to run AW magazines. 140 Berger hybrids or 140 JLKs would be a really nice match to the 88 thousands freebore chamber, even better than the VLDs, but will put you closer to 2.940" OAL with jump.
AW or Accurate Mag 300WSM with adjusted feed lips will allow you 2.970-2.980" OAL.

You'll really like the 260.

I have been using 45.7gr H4831 with 140gr Berger BT and VDLs. Liked H4350,too, but haven't seen any around me in 6 months. Also have plenty of IMR4350 to try, but haven't gotten around to that yet. 260 Rem is by far my favorite caliber. Pretty forgiving for reloading.

Lots of data in the 260 loads only section (reloading). H4350 is your best bet, but there are a lot of good powders out there while this hoarding bull shit continues. Try N160 it is a great powder.

I switched from IMR 4350 to H 4350 and will not go back, the H powders seem to be much more consistent in regards to ambient temp. The only exception to date is IMR 8208XBR for my AR !

Reactions: smtitmelevi