• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .260 Remington SAAMI spec reamer?

jamie

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2002
on canada
ok I must say I am a peasant when it comes to this kinda stuff and I am new to the 260 so flame suit on

if I have a Saami spec 260 reamer will I be able to run 130vlds or 149vlds with it and still be able to fit the rd in a AICS Mag?

oh barrel is a 22" 1/8 Shilen select Match #7

Re: .260 Remington SAAMI spec reamer?

Assuming you want to be in the lands, probably initially if you take the front strap out or use Alpha mags but as the throat wears away you will have difficulty chasing.

FYI, I tried every 130gr VLD out there with my 260 and couldn't get any of them to shoot worth shit unless they were in the lands, and even then the groups were nothing special. I dropped a 139 Scenar into it at a more or less arbitrary length and a reasonable powder charge and it instantly became a hammer. My worst groups with the Scenar were better than my best with the VLDs. So I wouldn't bet the farm on being happy with a 130VLD load in your new 260.

would this reamer be better with the 139 Scenar?

jb,
You could use the hornady oal gauge. It is a fairly simple tool to use. You will need the gauge, a hornady modified case in your caliber(260), the bullet you plan on using, and a caliper. Optional equipment is a comparitor in .264 to measure off of the ogive. The directions are simple and take at least 5 measurments to get an average. Once you know this you can set your seating die up for X amount of jump to the lands. The tool is cheap and will be handy in the future for other bullets for this rifle as well as other rifles.

BTW Ratbert do you have any of those 130gr jlks you would like to get rid of?

Rthur

The Berger VLD's ARE tempermental. Like stated above, The SMK's or the Scenars usually perform better from the get go. Whether the Bergers are achievable due to mag length, you will find out using you OAL guage. Gray hair begins now : )

SAAMI has the COAL at 2.800", the touch point at 2.1835" while at .262" on the bullet and the neck at .2969"

To answer your question, it all depends on the free bore of your reamer and if it's to the SAAMI spec / print or not.

To jam the lands with a VLD style bullet and mag feed with an AI magazine you'll need a free bore of .030" and a COAL of no more than 2.870"

My advice is to contact Dave Kiff at PTG and have a reamer ground to your specs per your bullet / COAL choice.