• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 260 Remington vs 264 WM

Pirate-69

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2009
Greenville, NC
I have been noting the following that the 260 Remington has and was wondering why the 264 WM does not have the same following since it has greater velocity for the same bullet weight and diameter. What am I missing?

Re: 260 Remington vs 264 WM

I think barrel life has a lot to do with it, that and once you're up to that much powder you can use heavier bullets with higher BC's in the 7mm stuff.

Yes and something i have always used as a rule is the less powder you can use and get close to the FPS you need is gonna be the most accurate round you can get. The 6.5x47 Lapua is a great round and you can push the 130, 139 or 140 bullets very efficiently. We are doing a Improved version now thats getting them same velocity's that we found to work great in the 6.5x284. I have also noticed that others are getting good MV's with the regular 6.5x47L as well.

If you bullet is arriving ontarget at 1300fps or better, you're good to go. Getting there any faster is not necessarily any better. It can mask minor wind reading errors, but it does so at a penalty to bore life. If you can afford rebarreling more frequently it's less of an issue.

Greg

been shooting 6.5x47 surgeon for a couple years. switching to 260 next rebarrel cause those guys who shoot them love 'em. problem i see is that you cannot get lapua brass, so i wonder how good that rem brass is. still gonna try 260 though

You can get lapua .243 brass and neck it up, and a lot do just that. Rem brass is good too, maybe a little soft; just stay away from max and near-max loads. I use Win .243 brass and have used Win 7-08. Both worked equally well.

Greg