• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 shooters/Builders. What Freebore are you running? Any Beanland 260's?

groundhogbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
Western NC
I've had my 260 Beanland for a few weeks now, and he used a .60" freebore. I just shot some 139 scenars, loaded to 2.820, and some to 2.850". I couldn't get the 123 Amax to shoot less than .8"s at 100yds but the 139's out of 7 targets shot an agg. of .452" with one a .216". I haven't really tweaked any loads yet, as a hide member is gonna let me borrow a 260 mod case so I can find the lands. I have only shot H4350 so far but ran into my local store and they had 30lbs of Varget, and 30 of 4831sc. Surely to goodness if my stock 20" 5R will shoot a .250" 5 shot group easily this thing will come around. It has a total of 39 pills down the 24" Krieger 8.5tw. tube so far, so I'm hoping things will get better. I plan on only shooting 139 scenars, and 140 Berger Hybrids. Any Beanland 260 builds around here? If so, what's the freebore? And H4350,4831sc, or RE17? No chrono, just gonna go with most accurate load, which so far is 43g H4350 w/ 139's.

260R. My load with 0.090" FB, it's about 0.010" off the lands.

42.3 H4350
Lapua Brass
139 Scenar
CCI BR2
2.128" BTO
2.835ish" OAL

It sounds like you should just stick with the factory ammo you mentioned in another thread. .081'' is impressive....

"Jon finished my 260 a month or so ago, and I'm blown away. I thought I'd bore sight it and break it in with a box of Rem core lokts (140gr). I went with a Krieger 8.5tw, MTU, and kept it in it's HSP stock. It's like my BR guns so far. The 1st 4 shots at 100 went into a .081" group. Yes with factory ammo. He will be building my 243 very soon, unless he talks me into a 6.5x47. I will post some groups at distance in the future. As for a Smith, I consider him one of the TOP! He's the only guy that's gonna touch your gun. I have several 6mm/6BR/PPc's etc. that I shot for about 10 yrs and got a bad case of (Too much arse on bench syndrome) and have been shooting LR for about 3 years now, and Jon is the only Smith that will touch my gun. If I couldn't get Jon, I'd go GA Precision/ Greg @ Bugholes, Spartan, Phoenix, SAC. Jon takes his time and does it perfect."

Lol I wish all 4 shot groups were like that. Through the whole box it never shot over .8", but the 1st 4 rds went through basically the same hole. I've has 1/4 min guns, .5 min guns, and 1 hole guns, like my Spencer 6BR, and Tooley 6PPC. My 175's and 168 smk's shoot almost just as good as my reloads for my 5R but I'm not shooting factory anything, especially when I have 400 139's and 1000 140 Berger Hybrids, not to mention the 140 Nos CC's, and 123 Amax's, and enough Rem and Lapua brass to shoot a few brrls out. But I'm having a straight 243 built right now, and I'd like to find the lands before I shoot anymore.
Sounds like very little freebore, but someone from Louisiana Precision said on "accurate shooter" I think, he had a PTG reamer built for .60 freebore. I can load 2.850, and still not hit the lands, (unless I pushed the 139 back in the case when I closed the bolt, but it sure closed smoothly) just need an OAL case. I bought every cal available about 12-14 yrs ago when it was Stoney Point, but sold my case with my last 260. Back then I was looked at real weird when I showed up for a BR shoot with a 260 Rem, but I won a few of em. I also noticed the last few Kriegers I've had are either gonna be shooters or not within the first hundred rds. I still have a cpl 6.5 Kriegers that have less than 300rds through them, that I just took off, and put in a pile, because they just weren't 1/4 min or better, actually put one on a 700 Mtn rifle that made my son a heck of a whitetail gun.

Last edited:
I had PTG modify their 260 Rem Tactical Match reamer. I sent in 3 dummy rds of SMK 123's loaded to 2.800" oal and specced this to be 0.010" off the lands. This figured to be 0.047" freebore. My velocitys have never been outstanding but accuracy on the 3 bbls we have done is good. I did this to strictly shoot the 123 class of bullets, and not planning on shooting more than 600yds. I am just not as enthused about the 260 as some are. krw

I had PTG modify their 260 Rem Tactical Match reamer. I sent in 3 dummy rds of SMK 123's loaded to 2.800" oal and specced this to be 0.010" off the lands. This figured to be 0.047" freebore. My velocitys have never been outstanding but accuracy on the 3 bbls we have done is good. I did this to strictly shoot the 123 class of bullets, and not planning on shooting more than 600yds. I am just not as enthused about the 260 as some are. krw

KRW,
Can you explain what makes a reamer a 'Tac Match'? Thanks for the info. Rick :confused:

KRW,
Can you explain what makes a reamer a 'Tac Match'? Thanks for the info. Rick :confused:
No I can't. Their reamers website and listings are different now from when I bought my reamer. It was what Mr Kiff recomended. I just changed the freebore and opened the neck up to .298 which allowed me to shoot Lapua brass no turn and leave .003 neck clearance.

Is it a good thing when you can run it at max load with no pressure signs?
I would say this is GREAT! I show pressure signs before I hit max loads. I have wondered if living in SW Arkansas where the humidity is high and we live a few hundred ft above sea level keeps me from hitting the high numbers I see listed on here regularly.

KRW,

6.5 CALIBER NECK DIAMETER THROAT ANGLE FREEBORE TOOL MATERIAL GAUGING
260 REMINGTON TACTICAL MATCH 0.2980 1*30" 0.088 HSS .308W GO (looser neck, throated for heavy stuff in an AI mag)
260 REMINGTON MATCH 0.2960 1*30" 0.18 HSS .308W GO

I have a new Hawk Hill barrel waiting for a new .260 build. I am waiting o funds and the availability of a Big Horn TL2. I am getting married on the 14th of this month and thought the lady would be pissed if I bought a new action before then. I am planning on ordering that bad boy on the 15th.......

I ordered a reamer from PTG and I went with a .060 free bore and a 0.2975 neck. I plan to use Lapua brass and shooting 140 AMAX's. What is the consensous, is the .2975 neck too tight? Will I have to neck turn using Lapua Brass?

Mine is a .297 with .60 freebore. Jon said it would allow me to bdl mag feed, and get to the lands, and when I switch to a Chasis set up, I can easily feed from an AIC mag. I shot the 140 Hybrids today, and can say I am very pleased. Much more than the VLD's and 139's. They are very similar to a 139 Scenar, and like a 168/175smk in a .308, they love to jump. I shot a 5 shot that measured .313" and that was loaded at 2.820. When I get a mod case I can tell you what kind of jump that is. The 123's? I'll just wait until I can jam em a lil deeper, and if that doesn't help, a .8" stick should handle ghogs pretty good. I don't see how you can't be amazed at a 260, I was shooting a bud's the other day, right beside a 300WM, and without a Brake the gun was so soft, and the 300WM was using a tad more dope at 800 than the 260, the only difference was his shoulder was getting sore.

6.5 CALIBER NECK DIAMETER THROAT ANGLE FREEBORE TOOL MATERIAL GAUGING
260 REMINGTON TACTICAL MATCH 0.2980 1*30" 0.088 HSS .308W GO (looser neck, throated for heavy stuff in an AI mag)
260 REMINGTON MATCH 0.2960 1*30" 0.18 HSS .308W GO

The used .260 Tacitcal custom Rem 700 rifle I just bought has been chambered w/ a PT&G Tac Match reamer. The previous owner had BAD pressure issues using Lapau brass, thick necks he said. He went away from Lapua and switched to Rem brass and solved the problem.
Will the 0.2980 Neck Dia. of the Tac Match reamer work w/Lapua brass?
How can I measure to verify this dimension on my chamber?
I have 200 Lapua .260 cases coming in on Tuesday with some H4350. Should I even try the Lapua or see if I can find some Rem brass?
Thanks

Jon built my 260 tactical rifle last year. He used what he called a Lapua reamer which has a .298 neck and .088 freebore. the barrel is a Kreiger standard Palma in 8.5 twist finished at 25". My good loads were as follows: Lapua brass and Fed 210m primers for each. 139 Scenar, 42.7/H4350. .080 jump. Five shot groups run about .4 MOA. 2780 f.p.s. 123 SMK, 41.3/ Varget, .030 jump. This load turns in .3 MOA Groups. 2999 f.p.s. The bullets are boron nitride treated so I am using about .5 grain more powder than I would without the coating. For some unknown reason I could not get good grouping using 142 SMKs. These groups were shot using a Harris bipod and a tactical rear bag on a bench. I am confident that the groups would be a little tighter if I used bench rest equipment but this is not a bench gun and will not be used as one.

No I can't. Their reamers website and listings are different now from when I bought my reamer. It was what Mr Kiff recomended. I just changed the freebore and opened the neck up to .298 which allowed me to shoot Lapua brass no turn and leave .003 neck clearance.

I'm confused now. Both krw and wchartz don't have any trouble with Lapua with a chamber neck diameter of 0.298. Yet this rifle of mine was chambered with a Pt&G Tac Match reamer with a neck diameter of 0.298 and the previous owner could not use Lapua because the necks were to thick. ????? What am I missing here?

I'm confused now. Both krw and wchartz don't have any trouble with Lapua with a chamber neck diameter of 0.298. Yet this rifle of mine was chambered with a Pt&G Tac Match reamer with a neck diameter of 0.298 and the previous owner could not use Lapua because the necks were to thick. ????? What am I missing here?

My loaded rounds using Lapua brass mike .294-.2945 at the neck. A chamber neck of .298 should be fine. I asked Jon about having a slightly tighter chamber neck and he did not recommend it for tactical rifle. I can not see what the problem is.

No chrono, just gonna go with most accurate load, which so far is 43g H4350 w/ 139's.

Hah! That's my load for my 260! OAL = 2.765" It's a little shorter than most folks seem to run 'em, but I like them to have plenty of room to breath in the mag. Here's my best group with it: Ryan's_Desktop.jpg

My loaded rounds using Lapua brass mike .294-.2945 at the neck. A chamber neck of .298 should be fine. I asked Jon about having a slightly tighter chamber neck and he did not recommend it for tactical rifle. I can not see what the problem is.
wchartz,
I'll have the Lapua brass and H4350 on Tuesday. Since your loaded Lapua brass is .2945, and the spent Rem brass I have fired the neck diameter is .2950, maybe I don't have a problem. I'll get to it as soon as the brass get here. Thanks for the help. RJN