• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 260 to 308?

Re: 260 to 308?

The easiest way to do this would be to buy a complete upper, but thats not going to be the cheapest by a long shot, and keep in mind Armalite and DPMS do not interchange. Now if you learn to reload the 260 will kick the shit out of a 308 on paper, and at distances should have more retained energy due to the higher BC pills.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kcshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ar10 that i found is a gap ar10 built on a dpms upper and lower. </div></div>

I'm sure someone has a 308 barrel and would trade for a 260 barrel (what contour and length?)

Do you want short light or heavy barrel?

The gun i found has a bartlein 22" barrel. I do not know the contour. I would like to have the same onlt 308. I reload already so that will not be a problem, i just like the 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The easiest way to do this would be to buy a complete upper, but thats not going to be the cheapest by a long shot,<span style="font-weight: bold"> and keep in mind Armalite and DPMS do not interchange.</span> Now if you learn to reload the 260 will kick the shit out of a 308 on paper, and at distances should have more retained energy due to the higher BC pills. </div></div>

I don't know who told you they don't fit, but that's not right.

I happen to own a DPMS lower with an Armalite upper. It runs like a champ and NEVER have had an issue with it.

Uppers and Lowers work, but the BCG are different, mags are different, I just put that out there because the little things in life can really screw things up.

Run the 260. I'm pretty sure that if you like the 308, you'll love the 260.

Easy to change to a 308. Bolts are hard to come by so you may need to use the current bolt.

Barrel, barrel extension, and bolt will have you changed over to a 308. Could use existing bolt, gas block, and gas tube depending on if you go with same port location and gas block journal diameter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have a DPMS lower with an Armalite upper in 308/260/243 that runs like a champ? I'll put a C note up that an Armalite AR-10 upper will not fit on a DPMS LR lower.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=U10A2C&Category=8be021dd-3f84-4aca-bfa1-afcb5ddcc9ba

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5467

AR-15, your combination will work. DPMS LR lower with an Armalite AR-10 upper....not gonna happen. </div></div>

Have seen photo and build on ARFCOM, has and will work (gap between angled rear Armalite upper and rounded rear DPMS lower, but functions with some modifications. Should be able to do a search on their AR-10 section

Think you owe someone a C-note.

When Armalite AR-10 upper fits w/o mods on DPMS LR lower, I'll pay up.

My mistake, I have an AR15 that works fine, I wasn't aware the AR10 had an issue. I retract what I said.

I'll split the C note with you though, if you feel so inclined
smile.gif

I found out the 260 ar10 is built on a 308 lower. I talked to george today about the swithch to 308 and he said no problems at all. I am going to try the 260 out first to see if i like it before i re barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy to change to a 308. Bolts are hard to come by so you may need to use the current bolt.

Barrel, barrel extension, and bolt will have you changed over to a 308. Could use existing bolt, gas block, and gas tube depending on if you go with same port location and gas block journal diameter. </div></div>

Why would the bolt need to be changed, isn't 260/308 the same boltface?

I have a feeling if you try the 260 for a while you will like it....

I am going to give it a try. The only reason i want to go 308 is i have a shit load of powder, brass and bullets for the 308.