• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .260 vs .300WM????

usmcmk12

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2013
California
Would like to here your thoughts out there regarding the .260 vs .300WM. Which cartridge would you use for longer ranges (1,000+), wind deflection, recoil, distance to transonic, etc..

Here is a pretty damn accurate depiction of what the differences are in energy and things of that nature. These are REAL VELOCITIES that I shoot our of my own rifles. So far, every thing Ballistic :AE has predicted has been spot on.

The drift you see is a 10 mph wind at 9 o'clock. Also same atmospheric conditions.

Would like to here your thoughts out there regarding the .260 vs .300WM. Which cartridge would you use for longer ranges (1,000+), wind deflection, recoil, distance to transonic, etc..

For target shooting I think the trade-offs you make with .260 are good out to ~1300 yards. I shoot the 140 amax in .260 at ~2750 fps and the 208 amax in .300win at ~2885. I've shot out to 1760 yards and was able to see my splash and correct to get a hit in 3 shots with the 300win, couldn't really see splash with the lighter, softer hitting 140's on the same target area.

if your wanting to smash or kill and all shots are beyond 1k. 300wm is the clear winner. if your just wanting to be able to hit a target or multiple targets rapidly and the majority of them are inside 1000 with some out to 1400, 260 is the clear winner.

if your wanting to smash or kill and all shots are beyond 1k. 300wm is the clear winner. if your just wanting to be able to hit a target or multiple targets rapidly and the majority of them are inside 1000 with some out to 1400, 260 is the clear winner.

That's good advice

Is it just for targets? 260 will be cheaper if that matters, 300 will hit harder when you might not see any impact with the 6.5 Recoil will be less to with 260. I have both and love both. Both are great for their purpose.

Here is a pretty damn accurate depiction of what the differences are in energy and things of that nature. These are REAL VELOCITIES that I shoot our of my own rifles. So far, every thing Ballistic :AE has predicted has been spot on.

The drift you see is a 10 mph wind at 9 o'clock. Also same atmospheric conditions.

Aimsmall what barrel length are you using to get that 230gr hog at 2885fps?

You've had some good answers here. Do you want the 300 kicking the snoot out of you every time? I would choose the 260 for target shooting g less than 1300 yards. I know a couple of guys with the 300 and they have a precision rifle of another caliber too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

I would be one of those guys. Shoot my 6.5 creedmor out to 1k alot. But past there it's the .300 win with a 230 Berger. I've got thruster brakes on all my win mags though so its just LOUD

I love my .260 and I shoot the piss out of it. If I am shooting past 1,400 yds, I shoot my .338. .260 is a great cartridge and I will be building another one.

I also shoot both. I have made good solid hits to 950 with my .260, but energy is lacking, splash is hard to see, but it shoots well. My .300 is a hammer with 190's and 208's. I shoot that just as often and at the same distances. I shoot both often. The .260 is cheaper to shoot. Both have their purpose.

I push the 230 Berger at about 2850 with a 26" tube. Can't remember the exact number but 7.7 mils at 1000 yards (100 yd zero) seems like it. The 6.5 Creedmoor (very close to 260) is 8.5 mil at 1000 (2850 FPS with 142 SMK).
The thing about the 230 OTM is ability to stay "stable" into transsonic territory.
If I were choosing for 1000 or farther (mostly) it would only be 300WM and the 230 Berger. Put a brake on it and enjoy.

I realize this isn't the question, but I've been waiting for someone to say something about the 7Mag. The 7RM (or 7wsm, if that's your thing), especially if throated for 175/180 match bullets, almost duplicates the .338LM for trajectory. The .300 is going a slight bit harder, from sheer bullet mass, but barely. The 7RM is going to have significantly less recoil, burn less powder, have nearly the same terminal affects as the .300 and far outstrip the .260. Don't get me wrong, I have a .300 now and my next project is a .260 (for much cheaper reloading), but 7RM is under appreciated for its long range performance.

Like another poster already said. What are you gonna do with it? For paper punching or steel and high round count I'd say 6.5/260. For killing stuff or anti material, 300 with a brake.