• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

260 vs. 308 ?

tschiemer

Sergeant
Minuteman
For someone who does not reload, is the .260 hornady offering at present as accurate as the 175 gr fed gold match in .308?

The rifle will be a GAP, and the caliber is the question.

The range will be from close in hunting ranges with a primary purpose of target shooting F class, 1000 yards.

I have extensive experience with a .308 but none with the .260.

Depending on what is availabe on Monday or Tuesday when my trading partner wanting night vision has access to in a used stick with low rounds, I will be possibly given a choice between the two calibers.

Unfortunately I see the .260 is not made by fed in gold match as I am used to in .308.

Robert

Re: 260 vs. 308 ?

The Black Hills/GAP & Cor-Bon loadings are the only "match-grade" factory ammo for the 260 Rem that I'm personally aware of. Not that other factory ammo won't shoot well, just thinking of a more "apples to apples" comparison to the FGMM 175's you were speaking of. I'm sure that ChadTRG42 could hook you up with some excellent 260 ammo as well.

Wihtout knowing the barrel lengths / contours of each rifle but assuming they're the same or similar; I would say the .308 for one main reason. If the gun you choose is truely capable of being a "dual purpose" gun, you'ld probably be more competitive in F-TR than F-O.

As stated, if your going to shoot F Class, go with the .308 and shoot FT-R. You'll have to shoot F-Open with a .260 and the 6.5x284's will have their way with you
wink.gif

The .308 will probably have the edge with factory ammo but with handloads, it'll be a toss up.

the 6.5 is much more forgiving out long......when you get tired of whiffing targets......you too will find time for that most satisfying of mental health processes called .....loading your own......

Thanks ggarrett1911!

If you don't reload and want factory match ammo, 308 will have more options, and probably be the better choice for ammo. The 260 is much more flat shooting and has less wind drift than a 308. If you go 260, and want to try some various bullets in 260 ammo, let me know. I'd be happy to load some for you.

Chad

For shooting long range 6.5 (.260) is the way to go. F/TR is only .308's allowed. It became pretty obvious in the open class which had better rounds and most of them were 6.5mm. But you gotta have .308 for F/TR. You need to decide what you want to shoot.