• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

260 VS. 6.5 Creedmor

rem700man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
phoenix, AZ
Okay for the past month or so I have been trying to find out what caliber to build my next rifle in. I currently have a KMW in .308. I have learned a bunch from shooting .308 in our local monthly matches. I respect what the .308 is capable of and now I want to move on to another caliber better a cheating the wind.

I have narrowed it down to the .260 or the 6.5 Creedmoor. My questions are  based on this:

I would like to have the shortest barrel possible to achieve what I’m trying to do. I want to run the 140 grain bullets (brand not selected yet but in that family of weight)

I’m trying to achieve at least 2800 to 2850.

I want to know which case it better for me to work off of.

Can I get this done out of a 24/25" barrel. I read some of the post in the reloading section and found similar results to what Im looking for I just want to make sure that it is not out of the norm to be able to get the velocity I’m looking for out a similar length barrel

The prices of the brass don’t really matter they are both affordable to me, the availability of the Creedmoor brass scares me a little. Although brass is affordable I would like to get the most life out of the brass as possible.

Which case can be pushed harder. I’m not super concerned about barrel life, I shoot about 1000-1500 rounds a year so if I can get a year to two out of a barrel, great.

Basically its boiling down to which boiler room I want to use.

I would appreciate any and all input on these two cartridges. I would even like to hear negatives on these two calibers. I have no interest in making my own brass, so please don’t suggest that. I don’t have the patience for that.

Re: 260 VS. 6.5 Creedmor

rem700man,

This is a true toss-up. Case capacity favors the 260 Rem by around 1 grain with 140 Gr bullets loaded in both, and both loaded to the same COAL.

Brass for reloading availability and diversity (more brands) favors the 260 rem. Ready availability of match factory loads favors the 6.5 Creedmoor.

As a reloader, the ready availability of a quality factory match load, may not seem like a big thing, except when you have a match next week, and reloading components are unobtainable (which is is happening more and more these days, BTW)

I not sure you can go very far wrong either way......

Ok still a tough choice but I think I have made my decision. I'm going with the .260. If I hate it no big deal just rebarrel it. Thanks for that info. I'm going to stop comparing these two because my head is going to explode. I'm just going to make a decision and live with it.

I don't think there is really a wrong choice between these two.
I was stuck in the same delimna and was going with the .260 as well till the last minute I switched to the Creedmoor.
Pretty silly since they are so close to each other.
I was going to go with Win brass in 7-08 and neck it down.
I was skeptical of the Hornady brass but got good reviews from some on this site so I switched almost at the moment I dropped off my rifle parts with R&D.
BTW, like you, I am going with a little shorter barrel.
Terrible position to be in isn't it?

I think it's going to be harder in the AZ heat and not have pressure signs to get those velocities with a 24/25" although I haven't tried RL17 with the CM yet. Call Phil up and ask him his opinion.

You know my vote Mike, just sayin...

The creedmoor makes more sense if you are loading to mag length, that being said, the brass has been on back order for 2-3 months...

I went with the .260 right before the 6.5 Creedmore became popular. I love the .260 and my custom shoots like a laser with a 23" Schneider P5. I haven't quite hit 2800 fps with 139-142 gr. bullets though, but I get great accuracy at 2,730-2,760 fps using H4350 and RL-19.

I bought 200 rds of Black Hills a few years back custom loaded with 139 gr. Scenars that do get past 2,800 fps, but they are not as accurate in my stick as my handloads. You might also consider the 123 gr. Scenar that mine easily pushes at 2,950+ fps.

A .260 will get to 1000yd with 142 in a 24" barrel. BTDT, in fact got to 1123yd with 139's, but the load was crazy hot.

Performance-wise, if you're looking to feed from a semi and a magazine, the 6.5CM has a slight edge with a marginally shorter case length.

I like the .260 better because brass is a snap. Rem .260, Win .243 and Win 7mm-08 will all run through the .260 Rem F/L die and come out as perfectly useable .260 cases.

I use a longer barrel length to achieve my velocity with a tad less mayhem going on in the engine room. Chrony'd 142's at 2850 out of my 28" barrel without running at max.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok still a tough choice but I think I have made my decision. I'm going with the .260. If I hate it no big deal just rebarrel it. Thanks for that info. I'm going to stop comparing these two because my head is going to explode. I'm just going to make a decision and live with it. </div></div>

Mike,

Firstly, I am comming to PHX TWICE in April, 3rd and something like the 14th. I'll confirm tomorrow by PM.

b/ At TPRC I spoke with Rob Ormond, and from his recommendation I am going with CM for my competition/tactical rifle. Partly due to magazine feeding and COAL and partly for the accuracy, I watched Rob shoot and the groups he shot with factory ammo were outstanding (That's <span style="font-style: italic">another</span> beer you owe me Rob!)

He gets the velocity you want, but with a 28" Bbl. I doubt that you will get that velocity with so short a tube, BUT the BC of the A-Max is higher than Hornady published figures. So, as with all aerodynamics, if you start the projectile a little slower, the velocity does not wash off as quickly at the start, but it will retain velocity at the extended ranges. The higher the velocity, the higher the wind resistance, the faster the velocity degrades over the initial part of the flight.

Accept a lower starting velocity and take the accuracy gain!

Me? I'm building the comp/tac rifle in CM and the hunting rifle in .260Rem! (That way if I lose cases in the long grass, I won't cry about it!)

See you for Brewskies in a week or so?

N

Oh, and I forgot to say, if you go with the .260Rem, you can use Lapua brass, .243 necked up.

CM, less case stretching, more of an 'improved' case design. High efficiency case design.....

We'll talk.

N

Actually, if you want quality 260 brass, Norma makes it now. You don't have to deal with Remington brass or worry about necking up/down.
2800+ with a short barrel 260 is very easy. I've done it in a bolt gun, I can do it in an 22" AR. The 139gn Scenar is a superior bullet aerodynamically to the 140 AMAX.
Personally, I think it's a toss up. Black Hills 260 match is awesome as is the Hornady CM stuff. It really comes down to whether or not you want to say "I shoot a ____ or a _____".

On a final note thought I will say this. I don't like the monopolization of the CM products with Hornady. In a pinch I can get 260 stuff anywhere, even shitty hunting ammo. CM stuff, not so much.

I just got my 260 from Krieger Barrels after a year wait and it was well worth the wait. My accuracy load ended up being 44.5gr IMR4350 using Remington brass which I have 3 reloadings on so far,CCI BR2 primers and 142smk's seated .018 from the lands. Velocity is 2847 fps average out of the 24" barrel.I have lost 8 out of 200 brass from primer pocket expansion. I am very happy I chose the 260 Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, The 139gn Scenar is a superior bullet aerodynamically to the 140 AMAX.
</div></div>

I know that the published BC is higher for the Scenar, but my understanding is that the Litz book paints a different picture.

I stand to be corrected (as in all things) as you have experience with the round and I only have a very brief flirtation with the .260 in a Ruger 77 MK11. It was awful, but that's the rifle's fault not the round. I spoke to Rob01 extensively on this subject and he is confident that the A-Max is a very good bullet. I intend to use the A-Max as both a target bullet AND a hunting bullet, I couldn't in all conscience use the Scenar for both.

N

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, if you want quality 260 brass, Norma makes it now. You don't have to deal with Remington brass or worry about necking up/down. <span style="font-weight: bold">
2800+ with a short barrel 260 is very easy. I've done it in a bolt gun, I can do it in an 22" AR.</span> The 139gn Scenar is a superior bullet aerodynamically to the 140 AMAX.
Personally, I think it's a toss up. Black Hills 260 match is awesome as is the Hornady CM stuff. It really comes down to whether or not you want to say "I shoot a ____ or a _____".

On a final note thought I will say this. I don't like the monopolization of the CM products with Hornady. In a pinch I can get 260 stuff anywhere, even shitty hunting ammo. CM stuff, not so much. </div></div>

Can you give a little more info about the part I bolded? I am currently making the switch from a 6.5CM semi auto to a .260 bolt gun. Running RL-17 I was able to easily make 2800+ with 140 VLDs in a 24" gas gun barrel with no serious pressure signs (there were very faint ejector marks, actually not nearly as bad as the marks from the factory Hornady loads.) I'm doing a 22" barrel on my new .260 bolt gun, and I'm sure I can again easily find 2800 using RL-17 powder.

I have done some research Neil and I think I'm still going to get the 260. Hornady has a strangle hold on all the component right now. Finding brass is a bitch. I have so many different avenues to get 260 brass. I briefly ran ballistics in all the popular bullets that are used in the 6.5 family. If you can acheive 2850 with te heavier pills and 2950 in the lighter ones the wind on all them is within 1/10 of a mil which I can live with. I plan on trying the 142 SMK and the 123 and the 139 Lapua. Ultimately I'm going to let my rifle decide which bullet it likes because I really couldn't find an advantage great enough to make a decision. Once I field the rifle I'm sure I will have more solid data but for now all I can do is run the numbers.

I'm leaning toward a 24" barrel and probably going to use RL17. That seems to be the powder that can get me the velocity I want. If anyone has first hand knowledge of a similar setup please let me know. I also talked to Rob for a while on this subject. I have personally shot the Creedmoor. Love it. I just can't live with the fact I have to hunt around to find component. Not that Hornady would walk away from it but it could happen. Then what. I'm figuring by the time I burn up the 260 barrel the market should be a little more plentiful. At thy point I will have to make a decision to stick with th 260 or creedmoor. Who knows in a year or two there may be something new out that trumps all these. Only time will tell.

Neil. I would be much more worried about loosing the 6.5 brass then the 260. In a comp you could walk away from 200 + pieces of brass a day of hunting couldn't possibly loose that much. Just saying

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, if you want quality 260 brass, Norma makes it now. You don't have to deal with Remington brass or worry about necking up/down. <span style="font-weight: bold">
2800+ with a short barrel 260 is very easy. I've done it in a bolt gun, I can do it in an 22" AR.</span> The 139gn Scenar is a superior bullet aerodynamically to the 140 AMAX.

On a final note thought I will say this. I don't like the monopolization of the CM products with Hornady. In a pinch I can get 260 stuff anywhere, even shitty hunting ammo. CM stuff, not so much. </div></div>

Can you give a little more info about the part I bolded? I am currently making the switch from a 6.5CM semi auto to a .260 bolt gun. Running RL-17 I was able to easily make 2800+ with 140 VLDs in a 24" gas gun barrel with no serious pressure signs (there were very faint ejector marks, actually not nearly as bad as the marks from the factory Hornady loads.) I'm doing a 22" barrel on my new .260 bolt gun, and I'm sure I can again easily find 2800 using RL-17 powder.</div></div>

I'm not sure what information you are looking for? If you're making 2800+ in a 24" gasser, than you shouldn't have any problem doing that in your bolt gun. Would you clarify for me what you would like me to expand on?

I say 260 based on brass, no doubt the CM is a badass round, but the single source of brass is a turn off for me.

The 6.5CM brass situation was one of the major factors in my decision to switch from the CM to the .260 in my new build.

I was unsure that you were able to get those velocities out of a gas gun. What powder did you use. I guess I need more coffee this morning. Thanks for clarifying again for me. I'm a little slow today.

I'm using RL-17. The bullet is a Berger 140 VLD. Primers are CCI Large Rifle Magnum. OAL is 2.79 (to make sure there won't be feeding problems in the mag) This is in a 24" barrel from Fulton Armory. The only pressure signs at all were some really light ejector marks, but like I said before they were less noticeable than the marks left on the brass by the factory Hornady loads. My final load I ended up using was 41.8 grains. I chrono'd the next weekend on another chronograph and it gave me an average of 2815.

Here are my velocities for a number of powder charges:

<span style="font-weight: bold">41</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">41.2</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">41.4</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">41.6</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">41.8</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">42</span>

I'm really happy with the RL-17 powder. I'd never have guessed I'd have no problem pushing 2800 in a 24" semi auto. That's what's given me the courage to finish my new .260 bolt bun build at 22"

Gotcha.

139 gn Scenar
42gn. H4350
210M Primer
Brass
OAL 2.810

Yes, it chews the brass but it's a hammer. I don't remember the exact velocity other than it's over 2800. I use the BDC on the USO and it hits all the way out.

Great news for me. Market when will your build be done. I would love to have a 22" barrel but it scares me a bit. I would really like to hear what velocity you get. I'll be using a Barlien barrel. 1-8

Mike just to be clear what rifle is that out of?

The build will hopefully be done in under a month. All the parts I need have been ordered, and are either in my possession or are on their way to me. The guys at Benchmark Barrels are making my barrel for me (8 twist, 3 groove) and doing the smithing too. I have a match in mid-May that I am counting on using this gun for, and Benchmark said they'd make sure I'd have it in time to get a load worked up.

I've been lurking because I'll be going 6.5 somewhere down the line.....

Is anyone running RL17 in hot climates? Here we're looking at 50's in the early spring and 100+ during the summer (that's in the morning). I'm concerned about pressure varying too much.

I think you should get a CM Mike, I want to see you and Matt wrestle for brass monthly!

Ha! I actually just made some CM with 308 Rem brass today. Took a little while getting the neck turner set up but after that it was fast. We'll see how it does, I hope so at $44 per hundred.

.260 all the way. I've had two and building a 3rd. I really like the new 123 A-max with a BC of .510 and moderate speed it should sail. Just got a couple boxes - just waiting for my new barrel.

I use Remington brass and do take the time to clean it up including turning the necks.

Good luck,
JamieD
Wolf Precision
All Hogs Go to Heaven

Gave a check for those wondering and Creedmoor brass should be hitting the shelves in a few weeks. Has just been very popular.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been lurking because I'll be going 6.5 somewhere down the line.....

Is anyone running RL17 in hot climates? Here we're looking at 50's in the early spring and 100+ during the summer (that's in the morning). I'm concerned about pressure varying too much.

I think you should get a CM Mike, I want to see you and Matt wrestle for brass monthly! </div></div>

sobrbiker- R17 is not like any of the other powders in the Reloader line...totally different formulation. My experience with it is that it runs with the Hodgdon extreme powders for temp stability.

On topic, Idon't think you can go wrong with either. My 24" 260 would do just a hair under 2800 using Remington brass. The brass would live a long time at that pressure, any higher and i would have primer pocket issues. You won't unhappy with either.

I know this is off the wall but have you considered the 260ackley, I was running a 26" barrel in the one I had and it was pushing the 139gr scenar to 2910 with ease at only 37.5gr varget with other powders it would push them over 3000 but I love the stability of varget so I stuck with it. plus my fireforming loads were just as accurate as my formed ones.

just a thought. it is a shorter more efficient case than the 260 or cm plus you get a fair bit more velocity.

If you are going to load for it, go for more... .260AI or 6.5-284. Reach out & touch something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been lurking because I'll be going 6.5 somewhere down the line.....

I think you should get a CM Mike, I want to see you and Matt wrestle for brass monthly!</div></div>

we'll see steve, i'm going to go snag a pound or two from brunos today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 9fingers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to load for it, go for more... .260AI or 6.5-284. Reach out & touch something. </div></div>
And torch barrels about twice as fast, too!

With my 6.5-284 I'm running 140 VLD's at a modest/sedate 2,900 fps.

QL says my pressures are lower than running a hot
260 that gets on average 100 fps slower at 2,800 mv
with the same barrel lengths.

I have to use just a little more powder but my pressures are less.

Which one is going to be easier on a throat?

I think the 284 case will.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cabelas has it in stock

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&hasJS=true </div></div>

I was at Cabelas earlier and they had it on the shelves, I want to say 40.00 per 100pcs, I was surprised it was cheap...if I only had a .260
smile.gif

I asked George Gardner a similar question at SHOT: 260Rem or 6.5CM? His answer was 6.5CM if you don't reload and rely on factory ammo, and 260Rem if you handload. I went with 260Rem.

I had great luck using 243win Winchester brass to neck it to 260rem, I got 2 build, 1 with heavy varmint contour and the other are Sendery contour both in 24", with 45grain of H4831, 140grain Amax, was able to get it to 2650only, Oal for my round is 2.8" very flat shooting round, very happy with it, Got another rem700SA"old pre64" action for a 3 260rem, this one will be no longer than 20" Heavy barrel. got reamer from pacific tool. I did the research on this forum about the 260rem, though I share some success info, since I got alot of success info on this Forum!

When I went .260, I just sold off all of my .308 brass and bought 500 virgin RP cases in .260. I did cull a few after a bit of inspections, but I've still got over 90% of them. Was a bit surprised at that number, but its looking like Remington brass is a bit better than it used to be. The flash holes were actually centered on these, don't know how many I trashed in .308 because they weren't.

I had alot of success with Win brass, usually need miner trimming and primer pocker prep.