• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2600 yards with a 7 saum.

Steel head

Feral kitten
Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2014
    Washington
    The last shot was directly in the aiming point.

I was completely out of the reticle tree.
    I need a Charlie tarac.

Also got hits at 2669. Tried for 2743 but never saw an impact, that rock was pretty cluttered with timber.
    8DB57624-F03B-4AD3-A1D8-1814A321981F.jpeg

I was out doing some shooting with a buddy today. We had some pretty good wind. 18-23mph. Plate was at 2010yds. I had the 7saum barrel on the AXMC when I took that picture. 7saum was struggling with the gusty variable winds. 338lm and my buddies 300nm had a fair bit better hit percentage. 7saum is no slouch though 👍🏻

Attachments

• 15FA26D2-A479-4E5C-BBE1-E4F8A53EB77E.jpeg
      15FA26D2-A479-4E5C-BBE1-E4F8A53EB77E.jpeg
      376.2 KB · Views: 62
    @Steel head very jealous with your pics...as always. Stuck in the house this week....torn ligament in left leg from some hiking in North Carolina last week. I can still shoot...but a long drive to the 1 mile range would be murder on it right now.

I need to get out West and really stretch the legs on the 300PRC....and YES...I need to get a Charlie Tarac also.

Reactions: Steel head
    @Steel head very jealous with your pics...as always. Stuck in the house this week....torn ligament in left leg from some hiking in North Carolina last week. I can still shoot...but a long drive to the 1 mile range would be murder on it right now.

I need to get out West and really stretch the legs on the 300PRC....and YES...I need to get a Charlie Tarac also.
    We found some excellent prospects for 2800-3000+ today.
    Can do much with them till I get a better KRF and Charlie tarac.
    I’ve had torn ligaments, they SUCK!

With my 230gr A-Tip load...at my location conditions...I can get to ~2400 with dialing the ZCO...I have 29Mils of elevation on the dial. If I hold 10mils in the reticle I can get out to 2750.....I'd need another 8mils to get to 3000yds....thus a charlie tarac...and down to a velocity of 868fps....all in a mere 6.248 seconds....don't know if I can count that high ;)

I need to figure out my new 250gr A-Tip load...I may have to hot rod it to get me out that far.

Reactions: Bender
    Berger’s 190LRHT
    Not sure who makes that bullet. I am too far into barrel life to switch bullets now, and shoot the 180 hybrid out of my 7 saum. DA drops under 5300 and at 2K my bullets seem to tumble, i can go from shooting under 30" to 30 ft in seconds. lol
    I have shot 7 saum for 10 yrs, and still have new Rem brand brass, but not sure i will rechamber in the same once this barrel gone, either way, new bullet will be in order. Glad your choice flies.

Not sure who makes that bullet. I am too far into barrel life to switch bullets now, and shoot the 180 hybrid out of my 7 saum. DA drops under 5300 and at 2K my bullets seem to tumble, i can go from shooting under 30" to 30 ft in seconds. lol
    I have shot 7 saum for 10 yrs, and still have new Rem brand brass, but not sure i will rechamber in the same once this barrel gone, either way, new bullet will be in order. Glad your choice flies.
    What twist are you running?

I’m running a 1-8 so maybe that helps.
    My DA’s range from 1000 to 4000ish locally.

I’ve shot the 180 hybrids out to 2000 but not any further, they did well.

What twist are you running?

I’m running a 1-8 so maybe that helps.
    My DA’s range from 1000 to 4000ish locally.

I’ve shot the 180 hybrids out to 2000 but not any further, they did well.
    9 tw, and that is a big part of it, this rifle was slapped together in a haste, idea to completion in 1 week, I had a Mark Chanlyn fluted 9tw sitting idle for 3 yrs and had to use it. No time to buy a different barrel.
    Best bullet i have ever shot out of the saum was a Berger 175 XLD, long discontinued, a chase your lands or switch bullet though, used to go for 900 rds, then go to a hybrid to finish barrel off, worked for me.
    Thanks

We just need to build you a bigger rifle. Wish I could have went shooting this weekend but the wedding went well. Now I’m hung over and need to go return all the chairs and tables. Good shooting

Reactions: Steel head
    We just need to build you a bigger rifle. Wish I could have went shooting this weekend but the wedding went well. Now I’m hung over and need to go return all the chairs and tables. Good shooting
    I’ve been researching and saving a bit for a boomer.
    Really thinking 37XC or possibly just a 338NM with a long barrel running solids.
    Charlie tarac is first, Google earthed a few positions and I can easily get 2800+ and want to try that.

Congrats!
    We’ll have to go shooting someday, brink your wife’s legendary huckleberry muffins!!!!!

Reactions: jasent
    Really thinking 37XC or possibly just a 338NM with a long barrel running solids.
    Charlie tarac is first, Google earthed a few positions and I can easily get 2800+ and want to try that.

Congrats!
    We’ll have to go shooting someday, brink your wife’s legendary huckleberry muffins!!!!!
    Absolutely!

Look into the 338AI's too. That extra 10grs is nice and put it in a 30"+ bbl and it's a pretty slick setup.

What powder you been running with those 190's. Hoping to have my SAUM barrel in this week.

Again...GTFO here w/that range setup and view.

[insert witty/bitter meme here].

Nice shooting.

Well I have two candidates.
    37XC and a long barrel 338NM shooting solids.
    I'm curious about seeing 37xc results.
    It's no fun setting up for a new caliber and not having it work out. Especially ELR stuff.

Alot of nuance to each caliber.

Probably why I never got away from 300NM or 338LM, its pushing the easy button. But those will only get you so far😔

How many barrels left until you have to decide?

This was 4 or 5 yrs ago.... have 2 or 3 barrels left to use up before changing again.... and since I havent had time in the last year for the LR stuff they sit lonely and sad.

• Sad
    This was 4 or 5 yrs ago.... have 2 or 3 barrels left to use up before changing again.... and since I havent had time in the last year for the LR stuff they sit lonely and sad.
    I have 1 brand new 7 saum barrel, I see this cartridge staying with me like 260 though.
    It’s performance to cost ratio is really strong.

Reactions: jasent and 1moaoff
    That was so awesome! I can not wait to get my bolt gun and eventually be able to shoot that far. Where I live I can not shoot very far, but once I get everything set up I plan on traveling and getting some longer range time in.

Have you ever shot the Warner 151 Flatlines? I've got a 7SAUM reamer and 8 twist blank in my safe right now. Just need to get it to my gunsmith to have chambered. The last barrel I was running 180 Hybrids at 3000fps but a mile was as far I got to shoot it. We have 2 ranches within 200 miles that hold ELR matches, and it's next on my list of things to try.

Have you ever shot the Warner 151 Flatlines? I've got a 7SAUM reamer and 8 twist blank in my safe right now. Just need to get it to my gunsmith to have chambered. The last barrel I was running 180 Hybrids at 3000fps but a mile was as far I got to shoot it. We have 2 ranches within 200 miles that hold ELR matches, and it's next on my list of things to try.
    I haven’t shot any solids.
    I did the math and they really don’t gain me anything for the cost and I think spotting the 190’s should be easier.

Reactions: hondo1312
    What other caliber are you considering?

man that is a pretty place to shoot well by the looks of it .

Love the freedom of the mountains. Add a portable rifle like yours and you are king of the world, especially if you can engage targets out this far.

One of my favorite quotes:
    "With his horse and rifle, he is independent of the world and spurns all its restraints" - Washington Irving, from his book "Capt. Bonneville"

What bullet are you using at these EXTENDED ranges?