• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.260's Effective Range?

Pbailey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Oregon
I am building my first long range rifle, and quite honestly, I am thinking that the .260 would be a great place to start because of low recoil, cheaper to shoot then large magnums, and it performs!

I will be hunting deer in southern oregon and northern california, could anyone tell me how far they would feel comfortable shooting a deer with a 140gr berger from a .260?

Thank you!

Re: .260's Effective Range?

Open for debate but 1000 is beyond most people's capabilities. Energy, in my opinion, would be the limiting factor and you owe it to the animal to make sure that is has enough energy to do its job and that would put my limit at 800ish maximum.

Just my .02.

So at 800 yards the 140 grain bullet will still have enough energy to take down a deer?

If it lands where it was intended. Not enough energy with any caliber to hit it in the foot and still manage to harvest the animal.

Shooting a deer is all in what you are comfortable with shooting. As ARP eluded to the 1247yd if you wanted to and you were comfortable enough to do so. You would need to shoot thousands and thousands of rounds before I would say you would be a good enough shooter to take on the task. But to be fair to the animal, make it a closer shot. If you cant get closer to a deer than 6-800 yards then maybe you should get out of the truck and hunt normally lol.

Ive witnessed a .260 smack a 1100+ yard target and do it repeatidly with authority and yes I believe you could kill a deer at that distance but why when I know I can get within 400 yards of one very easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive witnessed a .260 smack a 1100+ yard target and do it repeatidly with authority and yes I believe you could kill a deer at that distance but why when I know I can get within 400 yards of one very easily. </div></div>

Well said, and very true.

By my calculations using the 1,000 foot pound rule for a killing shot the effective range on a 140 grain bullet at 2750 fps is about 675 yards. But I would rather get to 300 yards then take the chance of making a poorly placed shot at well beyond conditions and my ability.

Oh come on guys after you have shot several matches and been educated on the hows whys and the wind 600 yards at a boiler room is a chump shot. But I would agree with you guys. Don't shoot any further than you feel like you know NOT HOPE you can hit. Ive seen people mis or make bad shots at less than 100 yards so I don't think that there is a limit to say how far is to far. The limit is how far you can make a first round hit. I also dont like to fall below 1000 ft/pounds of energy. but your .260 should be shooting around 2900 fps not 2700. so I would say limit it to around 800 yards. but make sure you are that good.

130gr Berger VLD @ 3000fps has 1000ft/lb out beyond 700yd at sea level.

If the .260 has such good ballistics, I am puzzled as to why the 6.5x284 has been getting all of the attention these days.

6.5x284 still holds more powder than 260rem and thus can be pushed faster with less drop. It is "getting all the attention" because several benchrest 1000 yard shooters use it and win with it.

Also because 260rem did not always have good custom factory loads and high quality brass.

In addition, bullets and powders have improved making "smaller" cartridges more efficient and extending their range with higher BC bullets and faster velocity powder.

I would feel comfortable shooting at a deer from about 400 yards, maybe pushing 500 if everything was perfect (which it seldom is when hunting) regardless of what I was shooting. Deer aren't stationary steel plates, and too much can go wrong at extended ranges. I have never not been able to stalk closer and have never shot a deer over about 350. For me, that is the best part of the hunt. Kevin

My hunting buddy shoots a 300WSM, Sunday he had a beautiful 220 yd shot on a 7 point, but being a hunter and not a sniper he grunted him in to about 90 yds before he dropped him.

Long shots are not necessary that often, and the skill of the hunter is more important than the rifle, and a good hunter will keep the long range shooting to a minimum.

"Long shots are not necessary that often, and the skill of the hunter is more important than the rifle, and a good hunter will keep the long range shooting to a minimum."

well said! I pride myself on a "one shot one kill". Target shooting is one thing but taking a life game hunting is another.
I shoot a 270wsm and a 338win and my comfort zone is about 300yds on big game.

Bullet performance is the key.

There are exceptions but in general bullets stop expanding much below 1800fps and for bullets untested I prefer 2000 fps.
Though a pinhole might kill an animal it will disappear without a blood trail.

I have shot long range for many years and have shot 4 and 5" groups at 1000yds but when it comes to hunting I feel I owe the animal a clean kill. I feel extreme long range hunting is more of an ego thing for the hunter.

I would rather take a 5-600 yard shot on a relaxed slow moving deer than a <100 yard shot on a nervous maybe running deer. Practice is key as with anything. I like close shots but its nice to know you can reach out there if the situation calls for it.

X-fan said it! Velocity at impact and bullet construction are the important things to consider. It's not not so much about Ft pounds of energy. Some bullets like Amaxes can expand at 1600 fps but 1800 fps is a more reliable minimum. Look at what range your bullet drops below 1800 fps with a softer bullet. A harder bullet may require even more speed for reliable expansion.

Bb

There are 'good hunters' and then there are 'good shooters'...sometimes not the same person.
Ethics of the shot
FWIW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot long range for many years and have shot 4 and 5" groups at 1000yds but when it comes to hunting I feel I owe the animal a clean kill. I feel extreme long range hunting is more of an ego thing for the hunter.

</div></div>
I agree whole heartedly. I'm not saying if I had a monster animal 1000 yards away and I had confidence in the shot I wouldn't shoot but there are limits. The problem I have is I carry my hunting rifles in the field that all have duplex reticles and 8x max power on them not my 15lb tactical rifle with the good optics. Big difference, but when you have to pack it all day I'm going for a lighter weight rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bullet performance is the key.</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Burleyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">X-fan said it! Velocity at impact and bullet construction are the important things to consider.</div></div>On thin-skinned game my vote is with bullet placement. The OP asked at what range each of us were comfortable taking the shot on a deer. 600 and under would usually not be problem, but environmental conditions and the condition of the shooter also have an impact on that decision.

What position will you be shooting from? Are you guaranteed to take the shot prone from bipod and rear bag?

I used to hunt in souther oregon and never had to take a shot longer than 75 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My hunting buddy shoots a 300WSM, Sunday he had a beautiful 220 yd shot on a 7 point, but being a hunter and not a sniper he grunted him in to about 90 yds before he dropped him.

Long shots are not necessary that often, and the skill of the hunter is more important than the rifle, and a good hunter will keep the long range shooting to a minimum.

</div></div> honestly if he can get him in that close by grunting then why would you ever need a 300WSM? A 243 works great at that range with a heck of allot less recoil. I think I would have taken the 220 yard shot to get the most out of my cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My hunting buddy shoots a 300WSM, Sunday he had a beautiful 220 yd shot on a 7 point, but being a hunter and not a sniper he grunted him in to about 90 yds before he dropped him.

</div></div> honestly if he can get him in that close by grunting then why would you ever need a 300WSM? A 243 works great at that range with a heck of allot less recoil. I think I would have taken the 220 yard shot to get the most out of my cartridge. </div></div>

When you walk into the woods you don't know what will happen before the day is over. Bucks don't always respond to grunt calls, or doe bleats.

That day he was hunting a field where long shots were possible. A week ago he was in a stand with a 450 Marlin. (ended up shooting a 'yote) If I have time I'll sit and watch one for quite a while before I take the shot, esp if it is improving.

Pesonally I use my 308 out to 350, I don't hunt anywhere with longer shots.

[/quote]On thin-skinned game my vote is with bullet placement. The OP asked at what range each of us were comfortable taking the shot on a deer. 600 and under would usually not be problem, but environmental conditions and the condition of the shooter also have an impact on that decision. [/quote]

I agree with you a deer sized target at 600 in well chosen conditions should not be an issue.

The problem is that shooting and hitting an animal at extended distance does not always equate to killing and claiming so I stand by my velocity recommendations.
Shoot a little deer with a bullet outside its performance envelope and (though it may die) you may never find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Bailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am building my first long range rifle, and quite honestly, I am thinking that the .260 would be a great place to start because of low recoil, cheaper to shoot then large magnums, and it performs!

I will be hunting deer in southern oregon and northern california, could anyone tell me how far they would feel comfortable shooting a deer with a 140gr berger from a .260?

Thank you! </div></div>

There's a guy on here that goes by the user name of "PGS".
If you'll do a search on his name and check out a few of his recent posts, I think you'll find all of the info you need.

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...156#Post2920156