• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.264" bullet suggestions for 6.5 CM?

ZA206

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2014
Been doing testing on my AR with a 24" Proof CF 6.5CM and it seems really easy to develop loads for. So far, I've tried Hornady 140 & 147 ELDM, 130 Berger OTM, 136 Scenar-L and it loved them all. I've just started working on 142 SMK and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on other bullets to try.

At the end of the day, I guess this is just going to be a long range precision rifle. At some point, I MAY hunt with it (I have a dedicated 6.8 SPC for that), but it's unlikely.

I'm thinking just roll with the cheapest bullet it likes the best. At this point, I think it may be the 147 ELDM, which has a side benefit of having a great BC.

I guess I should probably test it at 300+ yards before going all in on one bullet though.

Ideas?

-ZA

Reactions: Bbracken667
Barnes 145 match burners around 2750 are best cheapest bullet. I use them for training and maybe 1 out of ten are bit eccentric but the rest stay on a 1 moa plate at out to 500 yards. They have a bit more issues at 800 va beger 144s but have been better for me than the eldms.

Been doing testing on my AR with a 24" Proof CF 6.5CM and it seems really easy to develop loads for. So far, I've tried Hornady 140 & 147 ELDM, 130 Berger OTM, 136 Scenar-L and it loved them all. I've just started working on 142 SMK and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on other bullets to try.

At the end of the day, I guess this is just going to be a long range precision rifle. At some point, I MAY hunt with it (I have a dedicated 6.8 SPC for that), but it's unlikely.

I'm thinking just roll with the cheapest bullet it likes the best. At this point, I think it may be the 147 ELDM, which has a side benefit of having a great BC.

I guess I should probably test it at 300+ yards before going all in on one bullet though.

Ideas?

-ZA
142 SMK's work real well for me, particularly at the longer distances. Because it's a tipped bullet, that helps the the BC and the longer distances.

Reactions: John Glidewell
Hornady 140 gr BTHP Match
Hunting is a low on his list but it is still on it. The 140 BTHP is a terrible hunting bullet from my real world experience. It pencils through at any distance. The 140 and 147 eldm work great. I’ve killed dozens with those bullets with excellent performance on game.

Reactions: st1650 and DIBBS
Hunting is a low on his list but it is still on it. The 140 BTHP is a terrible hunting bullet from my real world experience. It pencils through at any distance. The 140 and 147 eldm work great. I’ve killed dozens with those bullets with excellent performance on game.
That would be good advice, as the 140 ELD-M would make a much better hunting bullet.

Reactions: wade2big
With a small drill bit you increase the diameter of the hole in the tip. Then, instead of just being a paper punching target round the bullet expands as a hollow point should.

Personally though I prefer the ELDM’s. For my 6.5 CM I like the 140 gn ELDM best. There are YouTube vids showing how effective they are on game as well as some rather convincing gel tests.

Attachments

• IMG_8904.jpeg
    IMG_8904.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I'm going to do some 150smk's (7.5 twist required), but need the use of LaRue mags (2.870") for that as not being able to find knights armament mags (2.880?). Magpul m118 gen3 mags are way cheaper, but have 2.830" limits. Cheap bullets are Lapua for cost and most are fmj's (bc is low per weight).

Ideas?

-ZA
Personally my favorites are ELDM and Berger bullets. Berger are harder for me to come by so I have specialized in the ELDM, focusing primarily on the 140 grain.

I like many others, I have used 140 ELDM with great results for steel and target shooting.

While it’s not a dedicated hunting projectile, it has provided excellent results on Whitetail deer as well.

Reactions: Bbracken667
I like many others, I have used 140 ELDM with great results for steel and target shooting.

While it’s not a dedicated hunting projectile, it has provided excellent results on Whitetail deer as well.
Indeed. I am amazed at the results given that it isn’t a hunting bullet. It’s effect on ballistic gel is devastating. Exactly what I look for in a hunting bullet. I prefer the bullets not just plow through the animal but actually fragment causing multiple would channels.
My first experience was one of the first ballistic tip nosler bullets (30-06) back in the late 80’s or early 90’s, where I used one for the first time hunting white tail and the sucker dropped on the spot. A pencil thin entrance and an exit the size of a large fist. Damaged some good meat but the alternative was chasing a blood trail through Mississippi thickets. I was sold on the spot.