• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

264 win mag vs 6.5 creedmoor

TexasMade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Hello, I was just curious why more people don't shoot a 264 win mag long range? I personally shoot a creedmoor and love it, but getting to shoot the same grain bullet 400-500 fps faster is appealing. Is it simply barrel life or recoil? The reason I ask is because I can't find any H4350 for my creedmoor but have a good stock of retumbo which is what I could use if I played with a 264 winmag. Thanks for yall's help.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about building my next rifle in 264WM or 6.5-06. I've never actually shot either one, but they are appealing to me like you said.

Hello, I was just curious why more people don't shoot a 264 win mag long range? I personally shoot a creedmoor and love it, but getting to shoot the same grain bullet 400-500 fps faster is appealing. Is it simply barrel life or recoil? The reason I ask is because I can't find any H4350 for my creedmoor but have a good stock of retumbo which is what I could use if I played with a 264 winmag. Thanks for yall's help.

yes.... having a barrel that might crap out in 1k, would mean i would need to rebarrel twice a year....

usually, if you want decent barrel in a long range (1500+ yds) rig, you'll need to go up in caliber, like 338 etc.
the .264 is a sweet barrel burner of a caliber though.

6.5x55, 55AI, and '06/AI to me are the best balance of long actioned rounds in 6.5, and you can throw the 284 in the mix. The WM is a burner. For that much powder I'd highly suggest a 7RM with heavier bullets.

I personally just re did my buddys model 70 winchester in .264WM that was his grandpa's from the 60s. Now this was a hunting rig with a sporter barrel and I put a B&C stock on it scrubbed the HELL out of the barrel (jb bore paste, hoppes #9) then re crowned the muzzle... then I did a 300 yard ladder test with SWIFT bullets this 50 year old gun held sub moa out to 600yd with a barrel that has well over 2000 rounds threw it.. It opened my eyes to that round for sure being a 6.5CM shooter myself. The only issue is finding brass to reload I had issues well till his grandpa found a trash bag full of spent brass he had been saving for 20 years 600 pieces... :confused: Old timers! haha!

I've been shooting the 264 since 1982 and my father shot the same rifle since 1967 and have yet to burn the barrel out. It still groups 3 rounds in at 300 yds within an inch. I've used it to shoot coyotes antelope deer moose elk and bear. I have since bought my son one as well, it is a smokin hot cartridge that just shoots where you point it. My furthest single shot kill was well over 600 yds on a whitetail and well that is not a normal shot sighted in at 300 you just put the cross hairs where you want to hit and it does from 25 yds to 400 yds I would recommend the cartridge to anyone. My conservative estimate between Dad and I we have run 8000 rds through this rifle over the last 47 years because for a long while we both used it as our primary rifles and shot a lot on the farm

I've been shooting the 264 since 1982 and my father shot the same rifle since 1967 and have yet to burn the barrel out. It still groups 3 rounds in at 300 yds within an inch. I've used it to shoot coyotes antelope deer moose elk and bear. I have since bought my son one as well, it is a smokin hot cartridge that just shoots where you point it. My furthest single shot kill was well over 600 yds on a whitetail and well that is not a normal shot sighted in at 300 you just put the cross hairs where you want to hit and it does from 25 yds to 400 yds I would recommend the cartridge to anyone. My conservative estimate between Dad and I we have run 8000 rds through this rifle over the last 47 years because for a long while we both used it as our primary rifles and shot a lot on the farm

So a 1/3 MOA .264WM with ~8k rounds down the pipe?

Winning!

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and my dad has 2 - 264 Win Mags. I love hunting with both calibers because they are accurate and flat shooting, but I can't imagine trying to target shoot with a 264 Mag without a muzzle brake. I can shoot my Creedmoor all day, but I wouldn't want to shoot the 264 Mag more that 10 rds or so. All of the rifles weight about 10-11 lbs with scopes.

I bought a .264 win mag sendero before Remington discontinued them and it's one of my favorite rifles. If I need to hit something out to as far as I'm comfortable shooting, that's the rifle I grab. I've killed pretty much everything up to elk with it and have never felt under gunned in the least, especially when the ranges get longer.

Brass availability was mentioned earlier and I neck down 7mm Remington cases to make brass for mine. After a quick trip through the sizer, I've got what I need and 7 mag brass is way easier to find and somewhat cheaper.

I've got 800 rounds on mine and it still shoots as well as it did when I first got it. I don't run it at the ragged edge of the pressure envelope and I don't get the barrel really hot which I'm sure has helped.

I have owned a 264, 6.5-06, and I currently shoot a 6.5-06 AI for hunting. The AI and the 264 are nearly ballistic equals (+~50 fps). If you pack enough powder into a 264 to fill it up to 90%, you can't burn that powder in 26 or < inches. The neck length is so short that throat wear is excessive. I really like the 6.5x55 BJ-AI: cheap Lapua brass, exact same capacity as a 6.5-284, lots of room to seat the bullet out, but you have fire form, and that's alot of headache. Same goes for 06 AI. The 264 can utilize 7mm Rem mag brass, but it's got the problems I've mentioned.

In closing MHO is that there is a hole in the cartridges available for a LA 6.5 SAAMI chambering, but thanks to the 6.5 SAUM I for one don't care. It does everything any of these cases can do and a whole lot more. It is truly a notch or two above these other options.

I used to shoot coyotes with a .264 back in the mid 70's........fast and flat.......I don't remember where it went, but I don't have it any more.....

6.5 saum easy answer

Is anyone making decent brass for this cartridge yet? Hornady brass is questionable, and a friend of mine running the SAUM trashed his brass after two firings. He quickly went back to a 6XC.

One very prominent gunsmith calls this cartridge an "overbore POS". Another top gunsmith I know doesn't speak highly of it either.

I think the SAUM would make a decent hunting cartridge, but for a rifle that may see heavy use, I don't think it makes sense.

Reactions: 308pirate
264 win mag is a hunting proprietary cartridge. 6.5 creedmoor is a tactical proprietary cartridge. It mimics the 260 remington ballistics exactly, but has a shoulder degree favorable for use in semi automatic or open bolt belt fed weapons. The creedmoor and the remington are great hunting cartridges as well. Given a gain of 400 fps when stepping up to the 264 win mag, there should be expected trade offs.
400 fps gain in the exact same bullet, on the shot of a lifetime. is nothing to snicker at.

2FpSiQvLSDuPC.gif

The 6.5 PRC = the 264 win mag. People do use it, just look on precision rifle blog. I like to see what people are getting with the Berger 153.5 Grain Long Range Hybrid Target and there 156 Grain Extreme Outer Limits (EOL) Elite Hunter.

Bought my first 264 mag in 1964. A Remington 700 with factory stainless Bbl. It will still shoot under an inch. I have neve shot more than two shots with out a cool down. This makes all the difference. I used this rifle to take my best bull ( elk ) ever in 2014. I have three others , plus 6.5-06 ( same ballistics as a PRC ) & 260 Rem's. Have taken elk with all of them, no problem. My Win 70 EW 26" drives the Nosler 140gr AB to 3228 FPS with ease using VV24N41 powder. Drives the Barnes 120gr TTSX or Hammer 121 hunter to 3440 fps. An amazing cartridge. Brass is no problem. If you can't find 264 brass, a 7mag case run threw a 264 FL sizer = instant 264.

Last edited:
Reactions: rkcolt45
I don't own a .264 and have nothing to contribute to this thread.
But, hey, it's been brought back to life twice.

Gran-pappys ole’ 264 win mag still shooting dicks off bees in 2020 I’ll bet.
If anything it’s probably more accurate, that barrels had 10,000 rounds of practice... well that’s what gran-pappy says anyway.