• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

27 Reasons why California is the way it is

pawprint2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
27 reasons why California is bankrupt

October 27, 2010 by Bill Gram-Reefer

27 reasons why California is bankrupt, california anti-business, high tax state californiaRichard Rider, Chairman, San Diego Tax Fighters offers this documented comparison of California taxes and economic climate with the rest of the states. The news is breaking bad, and getting worse, he says, as he updates his list constantly. See rev# 1.74 from October 12.

1. California has the 3rd worst state income tax in the nation. 9.55% tax bracket starts at $46,349 for people filing as individuals. 10.55% tax starts at $1,000,000

2. By far the highest state sales tax rate in the nation. 8.25%. 7% is next highest.

3. California corporate income tax rate (8.84%) is the highest west of the Mississippi (our economic competitors) except for Alaska. Table #8 — we are 9th highest nationwide.

4. California’s 2010 Business Tax Climate ranks 48th in the nation.

5. Fourth highest capital gains tax 9.55%

6. Highest gasoline tax (averaging 67.4 cents/gallon) in the nation, 4 cents above second place Hawaii (July, 2010). (also highest diesel tax)

7. California is ranked 14th highest in per capita property taxes (including commercial) – the only major tax where we are not in the worst ten states. But CA property taxes per home were the 10th highest in the nation in 2008.

8. One of the highest state vehicle license car taxes. 1.15% per year on value of vehicle, up from 0.65% in 2008.

9. California’s 2010 “Tax Freedom Day” (the day the average taxpayer stops working for government and starts working for themself) is the 7th worst date in the nation – up from 28th worst in 1994, but down from 4th worst last year CA “improved” only because of our state’s soaring unemployment rate – the new tax dodge!

10. In 2009, 24 states raised their taxes at least 1% to collect $28.6 billion. California’s taxes went up about $11 billion – thus we were responsible for about 38.5% of all the state tax increases in the nation.

11. California has the nation’s 3rd highest unemployment rate. (August, 2010) 12.4%. National unemployment rate 9.6%.

12. California needlessly licenses more occupations than any state – 177. Second worst state is Connecticut at 155. The average for the states is 92.

13. For the 2007-08 school year, the Los Angeles Unified School District spent $29,780 per student. The district also has the country’s second lowest graduation rate of 40.6%.

14. CA public school teachers the 2nd highest paid in the nation after NY. The average 2008-09 CA educator salary was $69,093 – 7.25% higher than the previous year’s $64,424 average. Page 21, table C-18

15. 1 in 5 in Los Angeles County receiving public aid.

16. California has 12% of the nation’s population, but 36% of the country’s TANF (“Temporary” Assistance for Needy Families) welfare recipients – more than the next 7 states combined. Unlike other states, this “temporary” assistance becomes much more permanent in CA.

America's Finest | UTSanDiego.com

17. California prison guards highest paid in the nation.

18. California is the worst ranked state for tax administration – another anti-business factor.

19. California now has the lowest bond ratings of any state, edging out Louisiana.

20. As of 2008, California ranks 46th worst in “lawsuit climate.”

21. America’s top 600 CEO’s rank California “the worst place in which to do business” for the fifth straight year (3/2010). But here’s the interesting part – they think California is a great state to live (primarily for the great climate) – they just won’t bring their businesses here because of the oppressive tax and regulatory climate.
Consider this quote from the survey (a conclusion reflected in the rankings of the characteristics of the state): “California has huge advantages with its size, quality of work force, particularly in high tech, as well as the quality of life and climate advantages of the state. However, it is an absolute regulatory and tax disaster.”

22. California, a destitute state, still gives away college education at fire sale prices. Our community college tuition is by far the lowest in the nation. How low? Nationwide, the average community college tuition is almost four times higher than California CC’s. This ridiculously low tuition devalues education to students – resulting in a 30+% drop rate for class completion. In addition, 2/3 of California CC students pay no tuition at all – filling out a simple unverified “hardship” form that exempts them from any tuition payment, or receiving grants and tax credits for their full tuition.

23. On top of that, California offers thousands of absolutely free adult continuing education classes – a sop to the upper middle class. In San Diego, over 1,000 classes for everything from baking pastries to ballroom dancing are offered totally at taxpayer expense.

24. Protests about increased UC student fees ignore one crucial point — all poor and most middle class students don’t pay the “fees” (our state’s euphemism for tuition). There are no fees for California families with under $70K income. Moreover, Pell Grants and federal tuition tax credits cover the total 2009-10 fee increases for nearly 3/4 of all undergraduates with household incomes below $180K.

25. California residential electricity costs an average of 30.1% more than the national average (far higher in San Diego County). For industrial use, CA electricity is 60.8% higher than the national average (June, 2010).

26. It costs 38% more to build solar panels in California than in Tennessee – which is why European corporations have invested $2.3 billion in two Tennessee manufacturing plants to build solar panels for our state.

27. Consider California’s net domestic migration (migration between states). From April, 2000 through June, 2008 (8 years, 2 months) California has lost a NET 1.4 million people. The departures slowed in 2008 only because people couldn’t sell their homes.

These are not welfare kings and queens departing. They are the young, the educated, the productive, the ambitious, the wealthy (such as Tiger Woods), and retirees seeking to make their pensions provide more bang for the buck. The irony is that a disproportionate number of these seniors are retired state and local government employees fleeing the state that provides them with their opulent pensions – in order to avoid the high taxes that these same employees pushed so hard through their unions. And once they move out of California, our state can no longer tax their California-paid pensions.

As taxes rise and jobs disappear, we lose our tax base, continuing California’s state and local fiscal death spiral. This downward spiral must stop NOW.

I can add to list one more: those people that are flat wrong, and yet refuse to admit it, in fact dig a deeper hole for themselves seem to permeate CA. Our own Poly is a great example of the CA mindset. For example, if higher taxes run off businesses, don't admit your plan sucked, just raise them again to make up for the "short fall". Sad, but until CA is able to get over this chicken-shit way of thinking, they will continue to sink deeper and deeper into the shitter.

Last edited:
That list is good, but still very incomplete.

I could keep it real, and tell you what the real problema is, and I could keep it real, and tell you what dis' problem be...

But then I would get banned for keeping it real.

I escaped in Dec 2013, my mom is from Venice Beach and my grandma still lives there (a real no-shit native...they exist). I have many fond memories from SoCal, but am happy (read: ecstatic) for my move to GA. I love California, but it no longer loves people like me...

Last edited:
I do have to admit a certain fondness for my California days in the 80's, despite how I've ragged on the state for the last 20 years.

I used to hunt deer outside Malibu, go halibut fishing off the coast of Malibu, and horseback ride where they filmed "Planet of the Apes". My neighbor was the last surviving member of the cast of The Three Stooges, and his friend was Natalie Schaeffer, better known as Mrs. Howell from Gilligan's Island. They were fun to be around. My father built most Hollywood celebrities houses back then, and as a kid I quickly determined I wanted nothing to do with fame. I had to go to a stuffy party one time in Brentwood, and some scary old man pulled me aside and asked me if I hunted deer. I sheepishly replied "yes" and he gave me his phone number should I ever get one, and stated that he loved venison. My father asked if I knew who that was. I said "no, but he's very scary". My dad replied, "well, he should be, that was Vincent Price". A month later I gave him some steaks from my first buck. I have fond memories of just about every 70's and 80's star in Hollywood at the time. The stars of those days seemed classier than the ones of present day.

I used to go to Santa Cruz island, sit on the side of the cliffs, and watch great white sharks circling the seals below. I hunted coyotes near Michael Jackson's ranch, though he never boned me, thankfully. Used to ditch school and go to Dodger games, where Tommy Lasorda yelled at me personally, using such foul language that women covered their kids' ears.

Fond memories, beautiful memories, all of them...

And then the bleeding hearts, making large scale financial decisions based on emotion, decided to import tons of poor people from a certain place, and sure enough, the State of California became poorer, almost like how a parasite makes it's host weaker. Then came the rules, laws, taxes and everything else, and well, I bailed....

Can't say I miss the place, but I do have fond memories.

And I miss the gorgeous women. The women where I live now look like they have Rhinoceros penis's...

Wow, someone must really have his panties in a wad to create an entirely different thread on CA bashing, for someone who does not like CA you sure like to talk about it a lot. As I see many of your past arguments about CA are taken from this one document, this is where you stake all of your “facts” on. I realize you are in TN so let me give you some education (something you don’t receive past the 8th grade where you live) facts should be at least peer reviewed from a reputable source in order to call them facts as what you are posting are simply misguided conjecture based on half-truths from a self proclaimed public relations blogger. Let me give you an example of your first three "facts"

1. It’s actually a 9.30 % tax bracket not a 9.55 and it starts at 49,774.00 not 46,349
2. Sales tax is actually as high as 10% in some areas not 9.55%
3. Taken from tax code - California's maximum marginal corporate income tax rate is the 10th highest in the United States, ranking directly below Maine's 8.930%. Your expert throws in “west of the Mississippi” just to turn the data in his favor

I could go on and waste hours verifying this dribble and shooting holes in your “facts” but you get the idea.

Like #16. CA has the largest state population so naturally we are going to have the largest number of folks on assistance. Not sure where your expert got his figures but the US Census bureau lists the percentage of California’s at the last census on assistance programs at 4 percent so how do they take 36 percent of the funds when they are within a percentage point or so from just about every other state. http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acsbr10-13.pdf You do realize that “assistance” also includes educational assistance provided by the government (read Post 9-11 GI Bill) and any Veteran who retires in CA and is given a disability rating of at least zero has the opportunity of sending their kids to a CA college tuition free (that is paid for by the government under Assistance)

I especially like the argument for number 22. Again, your “expert” posits that “Nationwide, the average community college tuition is almost four times higher than California CC’s. This ridiculously low tuition devalues education to students – resulting in a 30+% drop rate for class completion” So this idiot is trying to say that the low cost of tuition results in a higher drop-out rate. That has to be one of the dumbest educational arguments I have heard recently.

Just let it go, we get it, you don’t like CA fine, don’t come here, stay in Tennessee and marry your cousin and go on with your life.

Last edited:
34% of welfare with only 12% of the population did it for me! ... but then I am a product of higher math.

I'm sure you two idiots looks at the date, 2010, there is no doubt that some of the percentages have changed, but, the 2010 document was correct at the time of printing. No this is by far not the only document that I have or can quote regarding the problems in CA. The USC study, that has determined more than 50% of all those now living in CA (2014) were born in CA, is an example.
32nd Dist, Roy Ashburn stated in 1997:Take a hard look at the following, frightening statistics:
•Of the 2.6 million people in California now on welfare, 1996-97 grants will total $6 billion.
•California has more people on welfare than 20 states have people.
•California accounts for 28 percent of all money spent nationwide on the AFDC program. Yet, we have only 12 percent of the nation's population.
•California has 38 percent of the nation's legal immigrants on welfare. Fourteen percent of those on welfare in California are illegal immigrants.
And as you can see it is still getting worse!
Here is a little something that I'm sure you liberal non-voting gun owners might like:SAN FRANCISCO – Nearly 1,400 lifers in California's prisons have been released over the past three years in a sharp turnaround in a state where murderers and others sentenced to life with the possibility of parole almost never got out.

Since taking office three years ago, Gov. Jerry Brown has affirmed 82 percent of parole board decisions, resulting in a record number of inmates with life sentences going free.

Last edited:
There are some states I avoid like the plague. Interesting coincidence in that the states with the most restrictive gun laws also have the highest taxes, most corrupt governments, and most idiotic citizens. CA, WA, IL, NY... to name a few. In all those states, the same problem exists: Those in the cities, completely ruin the entire damn state for the normal people that avoid the cities. Yet even those people are often "infected" to some degree by the ridiculous ideals of those city dwellers.

I raise my State of Jefferson flag every morning, I see em flying, and painted on buildings all around up here in Far Nor Cal, but it doesn't seem to help. Im gonna keep flying it though...

"I'm sure you two idiots looks at the date, 2010" You are just reinforcing the issue that you are pulling up old data that is worthless. You are the one who keeps spouting off about "facts" and yet have no idea on how to support your own with current reliable data. Really "stated in 1997" Nothing like backing up an argument with statistical data that's 17 years old. You clearly have no idea what you are doing. If you bothered to take the time to read case law you could support a statement like this "Since taking office three years ago, Gov. Jerry Brown has affirmed 82 percent of parole board decisions, resulting in a record number of inmates with life sentences going free" and you would also realize that CA follows the three strike law and many people put in prison for life are done so with petty crimes so in order to make room for the real criminals, the parole board is approving parole in conjunction with the Governor in reviewing many of the "possession of marijuana" and other lesser offenses cases that landed these people in prison with life sentences. Again, you continue to argue about subjects where you have no idea what you are talking about, you are simply "cutting and pasting" others arguments to support your position....and its not working

#28 Diane Feinstien is a treasonous CUNT!
If you went on to list every completely idiotic and anti-American californian politician or public figure... you'd probably crash the internet.

One thing is for sure: If you're looking for the destruction of American values or fiscal and personal responsibility, california is as "on the front line" as you can get. They declared war on morality over a hundred years ago... and if you don't agree with their tolerance agenda then you are labelled a racist bigot and attacked.

There are some states I avoid like the plague. Interesting coincidence in that the states with the most restrictive gun laws also have the highest taxes, most corrupt governments, and most idiotic citizens. CA, WA, IL, NY... to name a few. In all those states, the same problem exists: Those in the cities, completely ruin the entire damn state for the normal people that avoid the cities. Yet even those people are often "infected" to some degree by the ridiculous ideals of those city dwellers.
Right on the money! Another interesting stat, those blue states with the most restrictive gun laws also have the highest Rates of HIV! Is there a connection? That's for each of us to decide.