• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.270 All Weather Rifle Choices (Stainless + Synthetic)?

ghott

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2020
I'm looking to purchase a new all weather bolt rifle in .270win and wondering what your guy's experiences are with the rifles I've found below. Good/bad/ugly? Am I missing any brands/models that would fit my criteria? Note: I'm Not looking to get into a custom $2k++ rifle or custom build.

My criteria:
- .270win; Stainless barrel/action/etc; Synthetic/composite stock; 8lbs or under
- Consistently accurate rifle out-of-the-box (no large "hit or miss" quality control issues)
- ~$1500 or under out the door (street price new); not looking at used rifles

What I've found so far:
Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - $1340 MSRP
- I have one of these chambered in .300wm and love it, but kinda want to try something different
Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker - $1190 MSRP
- One of the lighter rifles on the list, but how well do these shoot?
Savage 110 Storm - $865 MSRP
- I like the price on these, but how well do they shoot?
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless - $800 MSRP
- Price is nice, very light, Tikkas seem to have a good rep for accuracy, but they've always felt kinda "cheap" in my hands
Howa HS Precision - $1100 MSRP
- Seems hard to find info on these and I'm not even sure if they are offered in stainless?
Sako 85 Finnlight - $1700 MSRP
- Top of my budget and don't know much about them, are they worth it, good shooters?
Weatherby Vanguard Stainless Synthetic - $750 MSRP
- Only one offered in 24" length barrel; these are under the "Legacy" category on their site - so, not sure if they are still made?

All of the above are SS/Synthetic and have a ~22" barrel with 1:10 twist (24" for the Weatherby) and come in around 7lbs. (+/- 10oz).

Other thoughts:
- I'm not a fan of Remingtons, which is why there are none on my short list
- I looked at Bergara's - but it looks like they don't offer anything in Stainless
- I wish Weatherby offered the Mark V Accumark or Vanguard Accuguard in .270win :(

Thanks for any help!

I can see you went through a great deal of research lol😂. There's also Kimber Model 84L Montana - $1500

I would go for Tikka. The Tikka is obviously much cheaper than most rifles on this list, but I think it allows you to spend that extra money somewhere else. I have shot both the Tikka and Sako in 308win and I don't think they are much different in performance. They are both capable of shooting rather consistent sub MOA groups (I shoot factory). Tikka gets the job done. That said, do not buy a rifle you don't like. So, if Tikka really feels cheap in your hands, don't buy it. People's opinions may help you decide, but you are the person using the rifle.

Bergara Premiers are all stainless that is Cerakoted.

Also, Browning X-Bolt stock triggers are HEAVY.

I can see you went through a great deal of research lol😂. There's also Kimber Model 84L Montana - $1500

I would go for Tikka. The Tikka is obviously much cheaper than most rifles on this list, but I think it allows you to spend that extra money somewhere else. I have shot both the Tikka and Sako in 308win and I don't think they are much different in performance. They are both capable of shooting rather consistent sub MOA groups (I shoot factory). Tikka gets the job done. That said, do not buy a rifle you don't like. So, if Tikka really feels cheap in your hands, don't buy it. People's opinions may help you decide, but you are the person using the rifle.

I'm OCD when it comes to research and due-dilligence before a purchase haha. TBH, I had looked at the Kimber before posting this and left it off my list originally because I had read quite a few comments on several different forums where the Kimber's were kinda a hit/miss deal on accuracy OOTB. Also, that moss green stock color is not my cup of tea haha.

As for the Tikkas...I might need to find a Tikka T3X and give it another handle...it was a couple years ago when I handled a Tikka, so maybe I'm not giving them a fair shake.

100% affirmative on your last couple of statements - I love my Model 70's...I'm more-or-less trying to talk myself out of getting another one to diversify and have a little bit of variety in my rifle life.

Bergara Premiers are all stainless that is Cerakoted.

Also, Browning X-Bolt stock triggers are HEAVY.

I didn't realize the Premiers were actually Stainless under the Cerakote haha! That said, I don't see on the Bergara site where they offer any of the Premier line in .270win??

Appreciate the input on the Browning X-Bolt's as well, I'm not a fan of heavy triggers :(

On this site, there seems to be a universal acceptance that Tikkas are really solid guns. Tikka and Sako are sister companies, so I don't think you'll go wrong with either. If you really like controlled round feed, the M70 should be solid.

Reactions: DWavid
I didn't realize the Premiers were actually Stainless under the Cerakote haha! That said, I don't see on the Bergara site where they offer any of the Premier line in .270win??
You're right, no .270win Premiers, it seems. They have some in their B-14 line, but I don't know anything about those other than some talk about some sort of bolt problem, plus I don't believe any B-14's are stainless.

Here's a pdf for easier searching.

I like Bergara and other Rem 700 pattern rifles for the aftermarket triggers, namely Bix n' Andy TacSport Pros.

However, Model 70's simply rock.

I'm OCD when it comes to research and due-dilligence before a purchase haha. TBH, I had looked at the Kimber before posting this and left it off my list originally because I had read quite a few comments on several different forums where the Kimber's were kinda a hit/miss deal on accuracy OOTB. Also, that moss green stock color is not my cup of tea haha.

As for the Tikkas...I might need to find a Tikka T3X and give it another handle...it was a couple years ago when I handled a Tikka, so maybe I'm not giving them a fair shake.

100% affirmative on your last couple of statements - I love my Model 70's...I'm more-or-less trying to talk myself out of getting another one to diversify and have a little bit of variety in my rifle life.

Appreciate the input on the Browning X-Bolt's as well, I'm not a fan of heavy triggers :(
If you like some more variety, why not consider semi-autos at that price range? There's plenty.

@DWavid - I just love bolt guns :)

Greatly greatly appreciate all the input! I think right now, for me, its narrowed down to the M70 EW or the Tikka. I'm leaning towards trying the Tikka since I've never had one. If I end up not liking it, I'll end up giving it to my dad and getting an M70 :)

Thanks again all!

@DWavid - I just love bolt guns :)

Greatly greatly appreciate all the input! I think right now, for me, its narrowed down to the M70 EW or the Tikka. I'm leaning towards trying the Tikka since I've never had one. If I end up not liking it, I'll end up giving it to my dad and getting an M70 :)

Thanks again all!
Lol it's like me giving my dad my phone cus I'm getting a new one haha.

Reactions: ghott