• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.270 AW magazines?

Sicarius2277

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2021
Massachusetts
Why can't I find any kind of AW magazine for long action calibers? I have a .270 M700 that I'm starting to build, and I love the caliber. Dimensionally, .308 cases look about identical to .270 cases save for length. Assuming I milled out the feed ramp and bottom end of the receiver to allow the AW mags to seat properly and feed properly, I don't see a reason that the .270 couldn't have AW magazines.... except that I can't find a single AW magazine for long action. Am I missing something? Why don't they exist? Is this something that could be fabricated?

The AI single stack 30-06 magazine would be a much better choice with a two lug action.
That and the one your wanting i dont think exist.

Why can't I find any kind of AW magazine for long action calibers? I have a .270 M700 that I'm starting to build, and I love the caliber. Dimensionally, .308 cases look about identical to .270 cases save for length. Assuming I milled out the feed ramp and bottom end of the receiver to allow the AW mags to seat properly and feed properly, I don't see a reason that the .270 couldn't have AW magazines.... except that I can't find a single AW magazine for long action. Am I missing something? Why don't they exist? Is this something that could be fabricated?
There be a reason you don’t see people building 30-06’s and 280’s out of AI’s. They don’t have a LA AW mag that will feed them. You could mangle and modify a 300wm mag for your needs but I’m not sure how much success you’ll have.

The AI single stack 30-06 magazine would be a much better choice with a two lug action.
That and the one your wanting i dont think exist.
Sorry, I don't know about the lugs making a difference. Why would a 2 lug action not be able to feed from an AW magazine? I'm thinking about making a couple for myself when I get the Surgeon bottom metal.

Sorry, I don't know about the lugs making a difference. Why would a 2 lug action not be able to feed from an AW magazine? I'm thinking about making a couple for myself when I get the Surgeon bottom metal.
Its not that it wont work, many run them in a two lug action that is cut for AW mags.
Its just the single stack AI mags are far less finicky and less problematic in a two lug action.