• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .270 long range

hank440

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2009
Gambrills. MD
Hey Guys

is there such a thing as a factory long range load for .270 win ?

Thanks
grin.gif

Re: .270 long range

Berger makes some good bullets for the 270.

My 270 shoots a fer piece but not for long, its a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. It gets hot and goes south after a half dozen rounds.

I know there are some good bullets for reloading your own but I have my cousin looking for a factory load for long range because he doesn't reload.

i like the federal premium 150 or 130 nosler partitions. i shoot 150s in my rem 700 .270 it is a tack driver. I actuly shot a coyote yesterday at a little over 1k. i have no idea how but i did! I have heard that the hsm loaded with the berger vdl's are pretty good but they only make the 130 grain.

Thought you like the Partitions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T.S.#14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am a huge fan of nosler partitions i have recovered about 6 bullets from game from antelope to elk and they are perfect mushrooms i have never shot an animal that didnt need a second round only one time i put two in an animal was an elk with a .270 when i was young and both bullets hit lungs and heart he died in 20 yards the rest all droped i have always and will always use nosler partitions</div></div>

Well, I'm off to bed.... I'll look in on you tomorrow.

1911fan

PS: If anybody wants to follow TS14's posts, there is good amusement to be found. If, that is, you can stand to read them.

selection of bullets for the 270; last value is bc;

hornady, sst, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.525
nosler, bt, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.496 -- winchster, silvertip
nosler, ab, 140gr (9.07g) - 0.496 -- federal
nosler, part, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.465 -- federal
berger, vld, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.531
sierra, game king, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.483
speer, deep curl, 150gr (9.7g) - 0.496
xp3, winchester, 150gr (9.7) - 0.503 -- winchester

Hank,

I say HSM ammo, they make a load with the 130gr Berger hunting vld. Midway sells it, I'm not sure where else you can buy it.
If he could find someone to load for him, handloading would be the ticket. Matrix Ballistics has a nice looking .270 bullet.
Hope you find something.

milo

i know handloading is the the ticket but i already load 2 or 4 different calibers, he can just buy factory ammo until he figures it would be a good investment to buy reloading equipment

I don't know what ammo commercially available since I reload, but would look for some 150 grain fodder with a plastic tip (SST/Ballistic Tip), or a Berger VLD.

The partition, while a good hunting bullet, doesnt have as high a BC as the others. I've never really attempted to stretch the legs on my .270, but I may have to give it a try this winter. Let us know what you end up with.

Hank,

Don't blame you for not wanting more of a workload.

Have him try that HSM, seen a guy shoot some HSM, .338 lapua,
shot good, had lapua brass, quality bullet, can't remember which. But it looked like it was shooting good.

I recently shot a box of Federal Fusion out of my Browning BAR .270, out to 500 yards, and they shot pretty well. Wasn't really shooting groups, but the 3 shots I took at 400 were sub-MOA. Before I started reloading for my .243, I had some good results with Fusion ammo out of that gun as well, typically sub-MOA and one 3-shot with a spread of .177". It's cheap too, so giving it a try won't hurt your back pocket too much.

I'll second trying something loaded with the 150 grain Nosler ballistic tips.

Good luck

Jerry

matrix has .270 bullet up to a .80 bc - not factor ammo, but interesting.......

I thought about trying matrix bullets in my .270 anyone have any load data for them?