• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.270 Win for Beginner Steel Safari/Sniper Adventure Challenge?

JumpinLegs

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2022
Blythe, CA
Hi y'all. I'm interested in the Competition Dynamics Steel Safari and Sniper Adventure Challenges. I'm a bit resource challenged right now, but I want to try to get into some long-ish range competitions. The Steel Safari sounds like it would be a fun competition to get in on. I have a .270 Win in a Boyd's AT-One thumbhole stock that consistently shoots about 3/4 MOA with 120 gr. Norma Kalaharis, and I'm about to load up some Hammer Bullets and Cutting Edge bullets in 117 gr. and 120 gr., respectively. The reason for using such light bullets is that's what my barrel likes: I can't get anything tighter than 1.5 MOA with 130 gr. and up. My glass isn't ideal either: Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40. My goal is to get better glass first before a new rifle. My question is if using this setup will adequately get me by for a season or two until I can get a dedicated competition rig, or should I just not bother competing with my current setup and wait to get a better setup?

You can certainly compete and even with a top-end sniper rifle with a $5,000 scope you wouldn't come close to any of the experienced or semi-experienced shooters your first season. So go for it. 270 is going to be tiresome by the end of a match but you'll live. People used to do these things with 300 Win Mag... how bad can it be? Also, 120 and 130 gr in a 270 is actually about right, especially for medium game or less.

If your current configuration has a detachable box magazine that holds at least 6 rounds, you'll be fine for Steel Safari. You can probably get by with top-loading if you can find the targets fast enough. Most of the Steel Safari targets are generous in size. The key to shooting that match well is finding targets quickly and finding a firing position quickly. It's only 6 shots per stage for 8-9 stages a day, so you won't get beat up too bad. I shot the entire COF in December in one day with my 16# 25SAUM (150rds or so) and didn't feel beat up at all.

I cannot speak to the Sniper Adventure Challenge as I have never shot it.

Reactions: enginerd
That won't be ideal by any means, but you should try it. I bet you'll be hooked and find a faster path to completing a match rifle. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Bring it down to Steel Safari! For SAC you might want to have something lighter or even just run a carbine as the precision rifle. The shooting at SAC isn't usually super difficult, it's the trek you're going to be carrying all your gear on that's the brutal part.

Reactions: Todc
Bring it down to Steel Safari! For SAC you might want to have something lighter or even just run a carbine as the precision rifle. The shooting at SAC isn't usually super difficult, it's the trek you're going to be carrying all your gear on that's the brutal part.
I think the rifle is sitting at about 8 pounds even with the scope, so weight shouldn't be a problem. That Steel Safari is getting mighty tempting from the responses I've gotten so far.

I think the rifle is sitting at about 8 pounds even with the scope, so weight shouldn't be a problem. That Steel Safari is getting mighty tempting from the responses I've gotten so far.

Weight isn't a big deal for Safari. You don't walk all that far. I think @enginerd mapped the walk for each course. Just a few miles each day. Your biggest issue with that rifle will be recoil management and spotting impacts to make corrections.

If you want to figure out how good (or bad, in my case) of a shooter you are, Steel Safari is the match. It is far and away better than any other matches I shoot.

Find a way to manage the recoil on that bugger so you can spot shots easier.
Also check out the NRL Hunter matches. They are cheaper to attend and will give you some experience spotting targets and shots and ranging. I'm running a NRL Hunter match in April 29-may1 in Laramie but there are others around too.
2A6D4320-AD14-4B26-A954-86954F178918.jpeg

If thats what you have and it shoots well then use it, you'll quickly learn what works and what doesn't and get to see a bunch if gear in action and see what you actually need.

That scope will hold you back more than what cartridge you use.
If I were to change anything it'd be that first.

Reactions: camocorvette
That's plenty of rifle for the SAC. If it really is 8lbs you're solid. Light is right. I would definitely try to invest in a scope that's a little more robust if you plan on the SAC.

My glass isn't ideal either: Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40.

That scope is going to be a big handicap with a duplex reticle and turrets that are meant only for zeroing.

You'll be miles ahead with something that has a 10 - 12X max magnification, and most importantly a reticle with milliradian or MOA hashmarks AND turrets that allow you to dial in elevation without getting lost.

I'll be in the minority here and say, unless missing targets is fun to you, I'd re-evaluate your setup before competing in either of these events. You'd be miles ahead with an SWFA 10x mil scope than the scope you have. You're spending $300 on entry fees for each event. I'd save your entry money to improve your rifle, rather than suffer the frustration which undoubtedly awaits you. Get your equipment nailed down first, do some practice, and then next year enter the matches.

I'll be in the minority here and say, unless missing targets is fun to you, I'd re-evaluate your setup before competing in either of these events. You'd be miles ahead with an SWFA 10x mil scope than the scope you have. You're spending $300 on entry fees for each event. I'd save your entry money to improve your rifle, rather than suffer the frustration which undoubtedly awaits you. Get your equipment nailed down first, do some practice, and then next year enter the matches.

Terrible advice. Come be frustrated with the rest of us!

I want to shoot USPSA but only have a S&W Model 500, is that a good idea?

Sure, come on in

Last edited:
If your rifle has a picatinny rail and I don't have to take rings off my scope, I have a scope I'll loan you got the matches. I'll be their anyway so no big deal for me to bring extra stuff.
That goes for anyone else wanting to try out the Maven scopes and knows I'll be at the matches.