• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.270 Winchester

Highbrass

Pew Tang Clan
Minuteman
I know most of you would probably have no interest in a cartridge that's been around for almost 100 years.
I on the other hand, I like doing things that no one else would, just because I like to be differenter.
.270 Win is really no slouch even when compared to the 6.5 Needmoor. Yes I know at longer ranges the Needmoor catches up because of superior ballistics and faster twists, but the two compare very closely. The big advantage the .270 enjoys today is availability of components.
I put this load together on Quick load first and was just wanting a conservative easy shooting load.
My old beater Remington Sportsman 78 was able to pull a hat trick with this one and made a 3 in 1 @ 100 yds
Note: The actual bullet used was the .270 Sierra Game Changer. Quick Load does not list this so Tipped Game King was substituted.
IMG_0002.jpg

Reactions: DubfromGA
I'm a big fan of the .270 also. 150's (even inexpensive cup and core bullets) in the .270 don't really kick but seem to be really effective; I suppose it's the high sectional density of the .277 150gr bullets.

Haven't tried Staball 6.5 in it yet though. Once powder's more available I'll have to give it a try.

.270 Win has been my favorite all around cartridge throughout my hunting life.

I stepped away from it and went down the magnum rabbit hole for a few years......and no good came from that. Some bad shooting habits developed...but it was fun chasing velocity for the sake of doing so.

My favorite .270 Win load was a 140gr Nosler BT seated over a full dose of H4831sc.

Now, I find myself with more time on my hands and had the desire to get back into handloading again. Getting gear & components has been a tedious process. I was able to score several hundred 140gr Nosler BT bullets and some sexy new Peterson brass to eventually use once I work through my old supply of random stuff.

I gave up on finding H4831sc..........but have been able to grab 10 lbs of 6.5 StaBall.

Fun times ahead.

I do, however, want to get a borescope to get a look under the hood of my old .270 M700 barrel. It's time to get her back in action. Picked up a new stock for it....time to get busy.

.270 checks a lot of boxes for me.