• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 270 wsm scope

tripple_ace

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2009
miami, FL
i just picked up a Winchester 270 wsm to do some deer hunting in Georgia(50-200yd max range), but not to sure on what to put on it as far as optics. looking to spend around 300-550 give or take.

apart from that i have a rem700 in 6.8 spc but my buddies have been telling me that i need more power for deer then 6.8 spc.

i'll appreciate you input thank you!

Re: 270 wsm scope

50 -200 yds is a cake walk with that caliber.Sight it in for 50yds and you rifle's POI will be in a kill zone for a deer out to nearly 300yds ,meaning no hold over just aim dead on fire ! A 3x9x40mm scope would work just fine. There are a slew of scopes in your price range. Check out Bushnell elites or Weaver grand Slams Sightron S2 Leopold VX2 .

270wsm is ... decent for the range you have specified. i tend to have it zeroed at 200m, which gives me about +4cm at 100m ... which is still in the 'dead zone' of +-4cm around poi even for a few meters exceeding the 200m

for the scope: 200m is (in our mountains) not that far. 8x is good, but if possible, try to get some like a 3-12x. on the diameter it depends on the light you tend to hunt at. i like my 3-12x50.

I would not recommend to get a 56mm objectiv. for most aspects, i find that too large.

on the other hand, my old man did fine for years with a 6x42. for a friend i got a used swaro 6x42 for 240 euro. out to 200m that's still good enough, while the 6x is also fine for closer distances.

I think they want $600 bucks for their 3x9x40. That is absolutely out of the question.. Look at Ziess Conquest in 3x9 x40 it has far better glass. But go to SWFA.com they have tons of scopes to pick from. Your original question is like asking " I need to drive to the local market and but a gallon of Milk ,what is the best car to use" Not trying to invalidate your question. Really your caliber (270 WSM) is a 600 yd deer cartridge easily. So saying 200yds is max range ? I wouldn't spend a lot of time or money picking out a scope for your purposes.

The 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest would be hard to beat...
good clear glass, bright early and late, and well within your price range.

Zeiss conquest would be a fantastic deal in a 3-9x variable.

Your buddies are wrong. 6.8 SPC will kill a whitetail it's basically a little weaker .270. Hell a .223 will kill a whitetail, albeit not always optimal. 200 yards with that cartridge is a bit overkill but it will work. Use a moderate weight and a slower expanding bullet. If you hit bone with a ballistic tip your going to be losing a good deal of meat.

I hope that rifle weighs 9+ lbs, otherwise you'll be wishing for the recoil of a stout .30-06 load. If your not recoil sensitive then rock on. If you are a little recoil sensitive zeroing any scope may not be as fun as you were hoping with a lightweight WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iron Worker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ziess is 1st class glass for under a $1,000 </div></div>

You could find a new 3-9x40 Conquest for less than $400.

i think the Ziess or a Leopold would be the way to go... i looked throw my friends ior scope and the lens is crisp and clear vs. Nikon and Weaver.

thank you,
iorn worker

also mavrick thank you for addressing the 6.8 spc

IOR is in a different league ! Then any and all scopes in your price range. But I'll tell you all this I had a IOR 2.5x10x42 and its glass was great. I now have a Weaver Tactical 3x15x50mm and its glass I feel is equal to the IOR glass..... Triple Ace if you can up your budget to $750 bucks I'd buy that Weaver I have. SWFA has them for $739.00

a) It's called 'Zeiss', not 'Ziess'
b) scopes are defined by [from] magnification1 [to]-magnification2 x objective_diameter (example: 2.5-10x42); not magnification1xmagnification2 x objective_diameter (not: 2.5x10x42)

really consider a high-quality, second-hand glass over a medium-quality, brand-new glass

its not that im tight on money i can afford a bit more thats fine
just didnt ant to go over board on my hunting rifle vs. my distance rifle which i did spend 1700. for the optic.

I've got a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on my 270 WSM. Plenty of scope and BIG TIME bright especially at prime time shooting hours!

It has a full 4 inch constant eye relief which will keep you from getting stroked by the scope and wearing a nice scar.

You can find them for around $370 new and shipped if you look around. A used one can be had for even cheaper. Pound for pound hard to beat for the price and quality/brightness/clarity.

I'm a hunter not a sniper.
wink.gif

I have a Burris black diamond on mine and it works just fine. You might want to look into the new Redfields 4x12. There being made by Leupold now. I have a 3x9 on my encore and i love it. Just a thought.

sounds interesting i will check it out! thanks

yea i hunt also and to some target shooting
my sniper rifle is a 308 rem 700 with a ior 4-14x50 40mm

but i dont want to go so high on my 270 wsm since im going to use it only for hunting just need something nice good clarity and in a decent price.

Running a Nikon Monarch 4-16x40 on a Tikka T3 Lite in that caliber. A limbsaver pad with 110gr Barnes TSXT makes recoil pretty mild. At 3600fps its like shooting a freakin' death ray at a whitetail out to 300 yds plus. No worry on drop just point, click, tag and process
wink.gif