• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

arsh1055

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2009
Oregon
I am making my first post here. So if I sound ignerant I apologize.
I notice many 4 calibers discussed here seem to be most popular for longe range. .243, .260, .308, 30-06, 7mm- or 6-6.5mm.
Does the standard .270 have any place in the long range 1,000 yd club.
Thanks,
Rob

Re: .270

Bottom line is there is a limited bullet selection for slugs appropriate for long range. There are the newer Bergers and the Wildcat bullets out of Canada but thats about it. Also most .270s do not have the correct twist to handle the Wildcat bullets.

I love my .270 for hunting and it did rather well to 600 yards but I would still reach for a different platform if I knew I would be reaching out to 1000.

Thank You,
What rate of twist do you want to handle the Wildcat bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bottom line is there is a limited bullet selection for slugs appropriate for long range. There are the newer Bergers and the Wildcat bullets out of Canada but thats about it. Also most .270s do not have the correct twist to handle the Wildcat bullets.

I love my .270 for hunting and it did rather well to 600 yards but I would still reach for a different platform if I knew I would be reaching out to 1000. </div></div>

That pretty much covered it. My 270 has a 1/10 twist and shoots the VLD 150 real well but I haven't had it to any kind of long range, so I'm not sure about stability out there.