• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

270WSM Build...Pick stock color for me!

dontstrokeme

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2007
Port Angeles, WA
Bought the rifle as a SS SPS and it was short chambered, asshole gunshop owner would not exchange it with either of the other two still in the boxes....had to send to Rem, well I had narrowed the trigger shoe and so when it came back it was COD for $80 for a new trigger. Well when Rem test fired it they never cleaned the action from the chips of the finish reaming...galled the bolt lugs. Sent back again to Rem and they pretty much emery clothed the lugs and reblued them. So now I hated the rifle and held it for about 3 years and tried to sell it a few times but nobody really wanted a SS WSM acton I guess!

So I bought a New Take Off 6.8SPC SS barrel and traded my 223 M700 for the stock and Badger M4, bought optics and mounts and now have a shooter!! Consistant enough for me out to 1111 yards and below so needless to say I am happy with it and figured I would show it off since I never but never see any 270WSM's on the hide. I kept the 270WSM because I am already set up with the reloding components and when this barrel is gone I might stay with the 270WSM but might go 7WSM too...who knows.

From a POS that I hated it is now somthing I like.

SS M700 action
PTG Recoil Lug Pinned
Old Style M700 trigger
Factory take off 6.8SPC Varmint Contour SS barrel
HS stock with extra ass end weight and a Limbsaver pad
9-13 Swivel Harris on it's way to replace the non swivel
EGW 20 MOA base
Burris Low Rings
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 Mildot scope...great glass and ranges on 12x...1/4MOA adjustments though
DD Ross Tac Bolt Knob
Badger M4 Bottom metal
All Duracoated Matte Black

All Gunsmith work done by a Local guy that turns out some impressive shit for doing it in his garage. Has a buisness and insurance if anybody in the NW Washington is looking for a good smith...he is so bored he is taking on Berretta 92's....retired military and does it for a hobby so he is not out to fuck the customers...what he did for me cost me $350.

If anybody else has a Tactical 270WSM rifle throw it on here as well. I can post up the drops I was getting out to 1111 yards also if anybody has interest.

Only thing I dislike is how long the bolt handle is...I might have him shorten it up like my 300WM's...never even gets near your knuckle while on trigger.

Help me pick a color for the stock!!

100_3586.jpg

Nice little touch with the colored "F" and "S"
100_3588.jpg

100_3590.jpg

100_3585.jpg

Re: 270WSM Build...Pick stock color for me!

I'd paint it black and get a set of lower rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe,

I think your camo job is better than a solid color.

My .02 </div></div>

x2

What's wrong with the camo?

I'd go OD green, and as someone else said, get some lower ring's.

It was already painted the camo when I got it....just not really for me I guess....leaning on either OD Green or Black....but sometimes the Tans look good too!

I thought that the rings were lows but maybe they were mediums. That EGW base is pretty tall though.

"Cardboard Tan" would look good
I haven't seen anyone running a 270 WSM.
What bullet/powder combo are you going to be running?
Post up your drop chart, you've got me intrested now.

I shoot a Browning A-bolt 270WSM for deer hunting. It's stainless barrel on black stock.

Black on black would look nice on your rifle, wish mine was.

I shoot 130 grain barnes from Federal.

Running the Sierra Gameking 140gr Spitzer Boattail...mainly because I won't have to change any range data to change form steel to flesh when hunting. And they are considerably cheaper than Nosler Ballistic tips and Accubonds....which the 140gr NAB is a kickass bullet just too expensive to sit and shoot all day.

Haven't ran it on the chrony but suspect near 3000 FPS...shooting 62gr of RL22. Max in the Sierra book is 64gr but don't feel the need for the extra...the 64gr of RL22 was capable of 3130fps with the 140gr Accubonds when the factory noodle barrel was on it.

Drop data I had from shooting is close to the following. I am not a perfectionest on data...just write down what the scope adjustment is for the range and come back to that so for me to translate that to actual drop might be fun!!

100 yard Zero
450 yards -34.875" below zero
600 yards -81" below zero
820 yards -192.7" below zero
1111 yards -438.845 " below 100 yard zero

I'd leave it like it is. That camo pattern looks good. What did you use for the pattern?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brown and grey. </div></div>

Have a pic of the colors? I was thinking about trying to camo the whole rig in the colors of a 4-5 year old landing....since that is where I shoot from most times....sunfaded limbs and bark with some burned pieces for color!!

I just posted some questions about the .270WSM and then saw your post.

I am thinking about a .270WSM as just a all around long range rifle. I would use it for long range yote bust'in, some F class and other long rang shoots to 1K yrds,etc.

My main concern is barrel life. Does anyone know what avg. life span of the cartridge?

Take care,Stan

My logic is that if you can go really fast, cool....but you don't have to go that fast and burn it up....from simple thought process it would burn barrels faster than the 7mmWSM or 300WSM since it is underbore for basicly the same charge weight....but lighter bullets so you don't need as much powder. I belive Wildcat bullets makes a 169gr RBBT in .277 for the magnum magnum 270's....like the 270 Allen Magnum. I don't think the WSM has enough poop to run it though. I am expecting around 2-3 thousand rounds????