• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2751 YARD PRACTICE WITH 338 EDGE + P

Skyking

Skyking
Minuteman
Looks like Shawn has the new Edge+P working good.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqCMfTZuWB8&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iqCMfTZuWB8&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: 2751 YARD PRACTICE WITH 338 EDGE + P

Thats Rediculous. Super looooooong flight time on that shot too. Thanks for posting.

Some very fine shooting by Shawn and his new rig.

I wonder how many shots he gets per piece of brass pushing them that hard? My 338 Excaliber (Jamison brass) with 120gr of H-50BMG pushes the 300gr at 3080 with a little pressure.

Very impressive indeed.
smile.gif

That is awesome! That's probably not cheap to shoot. Shawn is a true contributor to the sport of Long Range Shooting.

The extra velocity and berger bc makes a big difference when you get out that far.

I was shooting the 300 smk using the h-1000 + p loads running about 2950 and I think that there was 10 or 11 moa difference in elevation adjustment.

Shawn and Bob are very talented individuals and great people

Damn impressive!

Nice shooting Shawn! And great job on the new +P and rifle design!

Field artillary! We don't need no stinkin field artillary!

Damn impressive is right!

Probably the same thing that happened to the ones before one and two.

i love when they zoom out from the target. really puts things into perspective

I think he's just doing the +P on new barrels and not rechambering. A buddy of mine will have a LRKM this spring, really looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on it!!

Thanks for posting, impressive shooting as well. It is just amazing to see the level of accuracy you can achieve at those extreme ranges.

Cool video! Makes me want to get a 338 Snipetac.

I betcha he's got those Bergers seated waaaay out with throating to match of course, the barrel is waaaay long and the brass only lasts one or two firings to get those velocities.

At a 14 degree up hill angle, shooting at a target which is 2751yds, he has to dial for roughly 2668yds. Still a long shot. Good shooting though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At a 14 degree up hill angle, shooting at a target which is 2751yds, he has to dial for roughly 2668yds. Still a long shot but not exactly 2751yds. Good shooting though. </div></div>

Buzzkillington...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At a 14 degree up hill angle, shooting at a target which is 2751yds, he has to dial for roughly 2668yds. Still a long shot but not exactly 2751yds. Good shooting though. </div></div>

The distance is still 2751 yards regardless of what he had to dial in. The actual distance doesn't change just because you are aiming at an up or down angle. The only thing that changes is the effect that gravity will have in the bullets trajectory which in the case of up or downhill shooting is less gravity which equals less adjustment for longer range targets.

That`s what I meant. Alot of shooters doesn`t know how to compensate shooting up or down hill. I was just saying shooting at an up hill angle (14 degrees) he has to dial for roughly 2668yds. 2751x.97=2668.47
I didn`t mean the bullet isn`t going to travel a full 2751yds. It still does but gravity is different shooting up and down hill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That`s what I meant. Alot of shooters doesn`t know how to compensate shooting up or down hill. I was just saying shooting at an up hill angle (14 degrees) he has to dial for roughly 2668yds. 2751x.97=2668.47
I didn`t mean the bullet isn`t going to travel a full 2751yds. It still does but gravity is different shooting up and down hill.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still a long shot but not exactly 2751yds. Good shooting though. </div></div>

Don't take this the wrong way but, that's exactly what you said
grin.gif

Yes, that`s what I said but what I meant was you don`t dial for 2751yds at such an angle.

I think that velocity is totally achievable with a longer barrel, the standard 338 Edge is at least equal to the 338 Lapua, and his +P design and an extreme length barrel definitely could add a few hundred FPS.

His barrel is only 30" ( It may only be 29"). The added velocity is due to the +p chambering they developed along with powder bullet combo he is working with.

I am at 2 firing on my +p brass and it shows no abnormal signs of wear.

The chassis is designed by them.

What powder and what bullet. I understood it was H-1000 and the Berger Hybrid.

Steve123, I had a Snip-tac and was only getting 3250 from a 30 in barrel. At that velocity I could only get 4 or 5 firings before the cases became too sticky to use. If this is for real the 338/408 and its derivatives are only marginally better.

I am now shooting a standard 338/408 at 3150 out of a 30 in barrel.

He is getting 3150 fps with the 300 berger

It's not h-1000. can't say what powder he is using.

The +p chambering adds 150+/- fps by itself

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve123, I had a Snip-tac and was only getting 3250 from a 30 in barrel. At that velocity I could only get 4 or 5 firings before the cases became too sticky to use. If this is for real the 338/408 and its derivatives are only marginally better.

I am now shooting a standard 338/408 at 3150 out of a 30 in barrel. </div></div>

Thanks for the info Augustus.

I wonder what the powder capacity comparison would be comparing a 338L improved and a 338 Edge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need some +p 375 rounds </div></div>

Due to the different shapes of the 330 Lehigh and 350 Hooker I was able to make some +P 375CT's. I could stuff a bunch more powder in there and was getting as high 3350 FPS. The Lehighs like 3220 the best though.

See how much farther out they are seated. Lehigh on the left.

DSC00131.jpg

Here is what Shawn has to say about the +P

I cant wait for a 7wsm+P version.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/338-edge-p-now-available-defensive-edge-76968/

Alot of people have been waiting to here the details on this and we have now finished testing. The 338 Edge +P is not a modification to the case design at all, the case remains the same as the standard 338 Edge. The patented +P modification is a throat design that lowers peak chamber pressure allowing more powder to be burned (6-8 grains) giving an additional 150-175 fps. In my mind this is just free velocity. My only concern initially was would the mod effect barrel life or accuracy. It did effect accuracy for the better in all 3 test rifles. Barrel life is past 800 rounds now and I am certain barrel life we meet or possibly exceed a standard 338 Edge. There are some items to note about the +P:
The overall length required is 4.00" with a 300 SMK and over that with a Gen 2 Berger, this requires that it be built in a single shot only format. I don't see this as an issue as alot of people run their repeater rifles in this mode anyway. We had to do this to gain the extra effective case capacity allowing room for the extra powder.
Because of the design and mechanics of the +P mod we are not going to be able to convert an exsisting Edge to the +P version.
I am not going to describe the +P technology so please don't bother asking. I will say that it is applyable to most calibers. Certain case capacities and designs are more suited to it than others. We will be testing the 7 WSM +P next (big shocker there). The 7 WSM should run about 7 STW velocities. Applying +P technology to a 338 RUM dosen't work there is not sufficent case capacity to allow enough room for the extra powder needed (at least not with an acceptable powder).
As we are adding more powder to the round, platforms with longer barrels will show more benefit from this +P chambering. A 24" barreled 338 Edge would not gain 150 fps over a standard Edge in that platform. We have one test rifle in +P with a 34" Kreiger barrel shooting the 300 SMK @ 3140 fps and shooting in the low .3's. I believe in a standard LRH rifle 30" is optimum for the +P.
It takes tooling and testing to develope these rounds, we will let you know as they develope there is no need to call and say can you +P my 6 BR or my 300 Win Mag. We are not going to do this mod without proper testing. I have seen the results of incomplete testing and just won't allow that here.
I will add to this post to keep all data and testing together so keep an eye out for new posts on it.
I hope this covers most of the questions you have had, if not fire away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBoreMiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I hear one more douch nozzle say "send it"................. </div></div>

LMFAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sheepfever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is getting 3150 fps with the 300 berger

It's not h-1000. can't say what powder he is using.

The +p chambering adds 150+/- fps by itself

</div></div>

He's exceeding 338-378 WBY velocities with only a special throat design?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buckbrush</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> with only a special throat design? </div></div>

It's nt only the design, but what it allows you to do with the load and how it reduces the pressure spike as the bullet contacts the lands.

I shot this rifle at 2550 and then ordered one.

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBoreMiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I hear one more douch nozzle say "send it".................</div></div>

Tell me you're not referring to Shawn as a "douch nozzle"??