• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.277 Fury Barrels

scottneh

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2023
New Mexico
HinAll, the 6.8x51 / .277 Fury has been out there a year now. I'm curious if anyone has seen commercial or semi-commercial AR-10 platform barrels out there that can handle the high 80kpsi pressure yet. I've heard there is a proprietary metallurgy to the gov barrels so not sure if any experimenters out there have made something close yet. I have seen some SS barrels but they are limited to 68Kpsi

I don’t think many, or any, manufactures are going to support the .277 Fury in the AR-10 platform. Why would they given the increased liability? There might be bolt heads and extensions out there that can handle the pressure, but it sounds like a lose-lose proposition for companies to offer a barrel on a platform it was never designed for.

edited to add - handling the pressure for a dozen or even a couple of hundred rounds doesn’t mean it’s safe over a lifetime.

There’s a recent interview with SIG where they said they backed down on the pressure because it was causing issues with early accuracy loss. I believe they said that 70,000psi was more of a sweet spot for that.

They said barrel life was determined by accuracy and velocity losses outside of a certain range, and threw out a rough 4000rds barrel life given their performance thresholds.

In other words, you can match the downrange performance with a 7mm SAW or 7mm-08 Improved, without chasing high chamber pressures.

I had some interest so I googled it and came up with this:

After reading some of the SHTF threads on the hide I decided not to spend the money on a new caliber, but to get more ammo for what I have. Sticking to 5.56 and 7.62x51; with some 7.62x39 and 6.5 creedmoor.

Reactions: ut755ln
X-caliber will chamber 277F but they explicitly disclaim anything over traditional pressures.

Sig is apparently releasing the Spear (not the limited edition version that was released a while back) in .277 and there will be a new Cross in .277 as well, within the year (from Sig's own mouth, see vid below). Pressure has been lowered to 70,000psi and the Cross barrels are being nitrided to prevent premature wear. I guess it's fairly accelerated on a straight up untreated stainless barrel.

Accuracy and lifespan were the reasons for lowering the pressure.

That’s the video. I you go to 17:15, that’s where he explains them backing off of 80ksi to 70ksi, barrel steels, processes, and barrel life measured in a certain mv and accuracy range.

You can just click on video, I started it at that time stamp so you do not have to watch the prior 17 minutes of a talking head.